Hey Dean, if you want more teams

Pull yourself up by your bootstraps and do it yourself!

We don’t have event space for more teams. We don’t have enough mentors. Stop making growth the teams’ responsibility - it’s your program, either start investing in team sustainability or be content with the natural growth rate.

374 Likes

Hahaha was waiting for you, Andrew!

Starting off with the cost, it’s seriously unsustainable in the first place (Let’s not turn this into another districts thread, we already have several just this month alone)

44 Likes

I’m sitting at home and it’s off-season - let the armchair analysis begin.

51 Likes

but Andrew, i want to get my XRP, absolutely free! He even said he was going to double it!

39 Likes

“double the team” … I don’t think I can handle mentoring 6 teams

35 Likes

Did he say “personally” deliver?

39 Likes

And give it to the next person!

17 Likes

Doubling teams? What’s the worst that could happen?

Checking stock at major suppliers…
Checking champs qualification rules…

78 Likes

Call now for this exclusive offer before supply runs out!

9 Likes

Also to note, we are 400 teams less than 2020, and 200 less champs spots.

36 Likes

By helicopter, per chance?

11 Likes

is he giving away or selling these robots… cuz it’s starting to feel like a sales pitch on 4000 little machines💀

13 Likes

There are only 365 days in a year which means he would have to give those to 10.95 teams per day…

4 Likes

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/22230

2 Likes

Lower the registration cost for new teams to:

Year 1: $1,000
Year 2: $2,000
Year 3: $3,000

Let teams get their feet under them, learn, build some experience and sustainability.

We as FIRST teams can start new teams. And we have. Rookies are going to be in the 10,000’s soon.

Only 3,300 have survived. We don’t have a new team problem we have a sustainability problem.

251 Likes

For a second i thought the request was going to be “we cant run all these events ourselves, everyone please go to districts” and i was on board.

Silly me.

70 Likes

Perhaps he should do something about the fact that FIRST employees are, by his own admission, overworked and understaffed.

My biggest concern with FIRST sustainability is employee burnout.

That speech was incredibly tone deaf, lost the kids after approximately 14 seconds, all while making every mentor annoyed. Crazy.

Had 21:08 on the timer, by the way.

122 Likes

Hey Dean, we have something called a TurdSwerve.

Check it out.

TurdSwerve is focused on teaching existing teams how to swerve, help them catch up and get ahead.

CAD and GitHub is on our build thread

24 Likes

Anyone catch that he didnt even talk to FIRST itself about it beforehand?

6 Likes

FIRST really needs to pre-record those speeches and tighten them up. I don’t care who you are, 12 hours into an event day no one wants to hear someone ramble for 20+ minutes

74 Likes