Hey Doug, didn't you have a scouting app?

Indeed I did, and do.

It’s a Windows 8 metro app and I’ve been trying to find the time to get it in to the store since December. This morning at 3:00 AM I finally got it into the store and it should be available by the end of the day.

It’s called FRC Scout.

After 4 years, it’s fully generalized. The app uses a scouting template that defines what information is collected and reported. The template defines a sort of state machine, where in each individual state, there are events that can happen which can then cause the app to move to a new state where a different set of events is possible.

You are going to have 4 states (pre match, autonomous, “tele-op”, and Post match) at a minimum.

Let me use Stonghold to explain what I mean. In the Stronghold template, there is a state named “Neutral Zone” that you should be in if the robot you are scouting is currently in the Neutral Zone on the field. When in the neutral zone state, there is a button on screen to indicate that you’ve crossed defense 3 and it causes the app to move to “Attacking Courtyard” where potential events are score a high goal, score a low goal or move back to the neutral zone. (It will make more sense if you run the app and change the template from Steamworks to Stronghold and run a match.)

The template defines what information is reported for each of the events. You can change what you want to report on by checking or unchecking boxes in the template. You can report the average, minimum or maximum count for an event. “Score goal” for example is a situation where all three of those data points may be useful. You can report the average/minimum/maximum time since the previous event. This is useful in cases where you want to know how fast a robot is for a specific task. Last year, for the event “High Goal” it could be used as a proxy for how quickly a robot lined up and shot after entering the attacking courtyard. Finally, you can record average/minimum/maximum cycle time which is the time between events of the same type. So, this year the minimum and average cycle time for the “Put gear on airship peg” event will likely be useful.

Once you have recorded the data for a match the match data is stored in the app’s roaming data folder and the raw event data and notes are stored locally on the device. The practical upshot of this is that if you have multiple scouting devices running the app and they are all internet connected the match data will synchronize across all of the devices.
When you want to analyze the data, you can export the summaries to an external device and that exported data can be used to create a per team summary of data.

What I’d suggest is, run it, select the week 0 event, pick a match number and a position to scout (red1/2/3 etc.) save the match, then export the data and compile the data from the exported directory.

When it’s available, it will be here: https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9p9lsgm09kgq

Hey Doug,
Our school doesn’t allow to download from Windows app store. Any other way to get software to scout with?
We appreciate you making this available to teams. It looks great.
Thanks,
Mitch

Not really. If you had the appx file you could sideload it, but if they don’t let you install from the store, I can’t see them turning on developer mode and letting you install a certificate so you can sideload apps.

Windows previous versions documentation | Microsoft Learn if you want to see the process.

Try your local library or local community college campus wifi.

The one thing to remember when your using this app is to remember what exactly you have to tap. If you don’t, you’re pretty much doomed to messing up :stuck_out_tongue: