Hi i need your help for stringer on 2019

hi, I was reading the 254’s tech binder for 2019. and i found something. this is stringer. and ı want to learn about the things. pls inform me.

3 Likes

I think we are going to need a little more info to help you out here

1 Like

I assume you’re referring to their “stinger”, which was their original climber. Basically it was a roller that came down to push them up and move them forward along with the intake.

Here’s it working: https://youtu.be/HNvmwc6cF-g?t=136 (Small black rod looking thing that comes down)

4 Likes

what information do you want

ow thank you ı got that

1 Like

Sounds like you may have gotten the basics of your answer already, so to add to Goalkeeper’s query:

“Stinger” is not a commonly-used technical term to refer to a design or a concept (ie, it’s not like “West Coast Drive” or “PID”). So in this case, I’d generally recommend linking the actual document you were reading. Then, you can reference the page number, or use a screenshot to point out exactly the device or concept you’re referring to.

Additionally, consider providing context for the discussion. It’s easiest to provide concise answers when it is know what stage in the learning process the student is at. For example: People who are just starting out learning need a high level overview of the “what” and “why” of the mechanism. People who know already that they’re going to build something similar will need more detail about the (literal) nuts and bolts of the mechanism.

Though it’s possible to describe “everything” in one post, it’s generally a more effective learning process to start at the point where the question-asker is at, and build up methodically from there.

1 Like

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10AG6A-9CLdJkantSmxQZqDVxSnSJUvrK/view?usp=drivesdk page; 21, 26, 28

1 Like

Page 21 references the brake they used to hold the arm in place while climbing with the stinger, because they use their intake roller as well (if the arm moved, they’d fall). 26 describes the 2 climb designs they used, you can see how the stinger works here and the suction climb (which they swapped to between SVR and CMP) here. The images on Page 28 are shown pretty well in that first video.

Hi,

The stinger we used at our first two regionals are a fun little subsystem designed, built, and test almost entirely by one student. It consists of a 2x2x1/16" outer tube that is fixed, bolted to the crossbars of the elevator on the turret, inside of which a 1.75x1.75x1/16" inner tube slides. The sliding is aided by adhesive-backed teflon stuck to the inside surfaces along the entire length of the outer tube.

The cool part to the stinger is way it compactly propelled us onto the platform. Inside the sliding inner tube, a 775pro driving a VersaPlanetary gearbox with a 49:1 reduction drove the versaplanetary bevel output to a horizontal roller (solid 1.5" OD 3D printed cylinder with polyurethane tubing stretched around it for grip). Thus, as the motor spins the horizontal roller will drive the robot forward on the platform until the Stinger hits the edge of the platform step and the drivers can raise the elevator to retract.

Besides the stinger itself, the way it engages with the elevator was interesting too. A pneumatic cylinder mounted to the carriage would deploy a hook that would grab onto the sliding inner tube and pull it down with the carriage. When we wanted to raise the stinger back up, the elevator would lift and constant force springs would pull the sliding inner tube back up to the fixed outer tube.

Lastly, as others mentioned, part of the climb sequence with the Stinger was also using the bottom jaw of the intake to push down on the upper platform. We used small pneumatic cylinders to engage a ratchet for the arm shoulder joint and another cylinder to engage a toothed “comb” into a gear to lock-out of the intake wrist joint. You can see CAD screenshots of the arm and wrist gearbox, along with all these ratchets, hooks, and combs in the this thread: 254 Robot

Overall the system was really robust, and we only got rid of it when the benefit of triple climbing with suction was able to be accomplished at Champs.

19 Likes

hi torrance. thanks for the explanation. I understood.