High Power Robotic Servos

Hi,

Team 1072 has found some interesting FRC legal high-power servos that we are looking to distribute by partnering with FRC suppliers. Here’s the servo lifting a 13lb battery on a 12-inch lever arm using simple servo pulses and a 6V input. The servo can move up to 300 degrees and is tuned by turning a potentiometer. The entire servo weighs only 750 grams (1.6 pounds) and could replace pneumatics. Would teams be interested in a product like this?

Video of servo working

27 Likes

Yes.

8 Likes

Sounds like a steal at $75 or less. (something something 2020 rules might be different)

I feel like I’ve seen very similar products on the usual aliXYZ sites, but with questionable quality

4 Likes

The power requirements are a little concerning… some back-of-the-envelope math tells me that that servo must be pulling an average of 5 A or so lifting that battery, and probably significantly more near the top of travel, when the arm is horizontal.

1 Like

During our testing, we have found that the servo draws less then 2.5A when using a 12 Volt supply and 4 - 5 Amps (Peak) when testing on 6 volts which can be handled by a REV servo module.

3 Likes

What’s the output shaft and mounting like? If it can be easily interfaced into a gearbox, I’m sold.

4 Likes

The nice thing about this servo is that it doesn’t need to be mounted to an external gearbox unless you would like to modify its range of motion for torque. The servo comes with a 10mm D shaft which can be used with a mount.

6 Likes

Yes!

I can think of quite a few mechanisms my teams have built that could have benefited from something like this, even if they keep the pneumatics.

3 Likes

Your earlier comment seems to suggest that it takes in 12v power as well, but unfortunately per the 2019 rules this isn’t legal if that’s the case. See 2019-R38.

R38. Servos must be connected to, and only to, one of the following:
A. PWM PORTS on the roboRIO
B. PWM PORTS on a WCP Spartan Sensor Board (P/N: WCP-0045)
C. REV Robotics Servo Power Module (P/N: REV-11-1144)

I had found a similar servo with similar glee earlier in the year, and do wish they’d legalize this type, but I personally don’t see it happening…

4 Likes

Our servo can take in 6V power and be powered off of the REV servo module

7 Likes

This is very cool, and could help a lot of teams if it lives up to your specs.

I would like to see a bigger output shaft with strong bearings if I got to choose. Lots of teams would like to bolt your servo directly to an arm (like you did in your test), and lots of teams who do that will see it explode when the robot drives the arm into a field element.

4 Likes

Color me shocked and impressed, I’d absolutely love to get my hands on one now.

2 Likes

Oh yes. We would be very interested in a servo like that.

2 Likes

If this servo comes out before week 4 of build season, we will be buying at least 4. Amazing potential to be a gamechanger for FRC use, especially if we can get 12 volt servo boards legalized in the future, but 6 volts is fine for now.

1 Like

Feels like too much of a steal for $75 or less.
https://www.servocity.com/sb2290sg-monster-torque-brushless-servo-black-edition
this servo is still over $75, and it doesn’t get near the torque needed here. I have a feeling that this might be over $75.

@Ethan-Cao, is this over $75?

1 Like

we built this one for under 75

2 Likes

The next challenge is that 6V * 5A = 30W is only a tenth of a cim or a 775 pro. With the right gearing, it’ll still move a big mechanism, but teams are going to have to be satisfied with trading off easy implementation for slow movement.

1 Like

we found that it takes about 3 seconds to move 300 degrees

1 Like

under what load?

1 Like

Anand seems to be having way too much fun in that video.

9 Likes