HIGH SCORE????

Posted by Elgin C at 03/07/2001 5:17 PM EST

Engineer on team #237, Sie-H20-Bots, from Watertown High School / NVCC.

Does the New England Regionals still have the highest score of all the regionals? 510 points were scored in 40 seconds with the bridge balanced with two goals on it and 1 robot. The other three robots were in the end-zone. One of the goals had 13 black balls in it, and the other had 1 big ball on top!! This was all in the final round! It was a great finish for all who were watching and definately for all who were playing!!!

Posted by Lora Knepper at 03/07/2001 5:24 PM EST

Other on team #177, Bobcat Robotics - (Adoptee) =), from South Windsor High School and International Fuel Cells.

In Reply to: HIGH SCORE???
Posted by Elgin C on 03/07/2001 5:17 PM EST:

Actually, right before the 510 was scored, a 520 was posted by the same alliance :o) I expect that the next set of regionals will best that though.

~ Lora

Posted by Elgin C at 03/07/2001 5:29 PM EST

Engineer on team #237, Sie-H20-Bots, from Watertown High School / NVCC.

In Reply to: Actually, 520 is the score to beat
Posted by Lora Knepper on 03/07/2001 5:24 PM EST:

: Actually, right before the 510 was scored, a 520 was posted by the same alliance :o) I expect that the next set of regionals will best that though.

: ~ Lora

That’s right I forgot about that.

By the way Bobcats nice save outside the playing field by the big ball!!!

Posted by Jared at 03/07/2001 6:10 PM EST

Student on team #312, Heatwave, from Lakewood High and Baxter.

In Reply to: Re: Actually, 520 is the score to beat
Posted by Elgin C on 03/07/2001 5:29 PM EST:

If you don’t want to be all technical on me, in the finals, our aliance and us set a score of 490 points. If this were a qualify match, we would have received a 10% bonus therefore giving us a score of 539 pts! So actually the high score every achieved was 539 pts at the KSC Regionals, if you don’t mind being all technical.

I got my info from www.soap108.com.

-= Jared =-

Posted by P.J. Baker at 03/07/2001 6:13 PM EST

Engineer on team #177, Bobcat Robotics, from South Windsor High School and International Fuel Cells.

Posted by Jared on 03/07/2001 6:10 PM EST:

…it was the Bobcat’s big ball that was scored in the 520 pt match, and 572 becomes the score to beat.

P.J.

Posted by Matt Ryan at 03/07/2001 7:01 PM EST

Student on team #69, HYPER, from Quincy Public Schools and Gillette.

If the finals were qualifying matches at UTC, the high score would have been 572!!!

Posted by Joe Johnson at 03/07/2001 9:09 PM EST

Engineer on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

On the drive home from New England, we could not puzzle
out how you guys scored 520. Will you refresh my memory?

As best I can recall, it was the round that #177 was
about to put a big ball on the balanced goal when they
realized that time was going to tick under 1:01 if they
didn’t head for the end zone and I mean NOW! As I
recall, the Bobcats, headed home with a ball in their
gripper and ran so fast that they flipped themselves,
but they fell out of bounds with the ball between them
and the ground so they were ruled “in the endzone”

Here is my dilemna: If they still had a ball in their
claw, how did they get 52 base points? They had 12
black balls in the goal I recall that and I suppose
that they had 3 robots in the end zone. But…
…where did the extra 10 pts come from if 177 had a
ball in their hand still?

It is a puzzlement.

Anyone recall the real way it went down? Set me
straight, please.

Joe J.

Posted by Andy Grady at 03/07/2001 9:23 PM EST

Other on team #126, Gael Force, from Clinton High School and Nypro Inc…

In Reply to: Refresh my memory…
Posted by Joe Johnson on 03/07/2001 9:09 PM EST:

Joe,
The round your thinking of was our 480 point round, where the Bobcats didn’t drop the ball in. The following round was the one where we scored 520. That is 12 small balls, 1 big ball, 3 robots in the endzone, 2 goals balanced, under a minute.
Good Luck,
Andy

Posted by Jared at 03/08/2001 8:20 AM EST

Student on team #312, Heatwave, from Lakewood High and Baxter.

In Reply to: Re: Refresh my memory…
Posted by Andy Grady on 03/07/2001 9:23 PM EST:

Well, I think the Nationals is going to have some really heated competition, possibly more so than last year. With the teams from UTC scoring big and us and everyone down at KSC scoring high as well, there is going to be some good matches to see who can remake the magic again at EPCOT. I, for one, can’t wait to see everyone there!

-= Jared =-

Posted by P.J. Baker at 03/07/2001 9:31 PM EST

Engineer on team #177, Bobcat Robotics, from South Windsor High School and International Fuel Cells.

Joe,

Here is the play:
1: 501 pushes near goal to HP station and heads to endzone

2: 69 & 177 limbo - 69 prepares to wedge, 177 prepares to score large ball - after the goals are balanced

3: all the while 126 is crossing the bridge for the far goal then returning for the near goal which has between 9 and 12 small balls in it

4: 126 uses 69’s wedge to balance

5: 177 scores large ball

6: 69 & 177 run to endzone and kill power

The exact same play was run in all 4 mathces. In the 1st round, the balance occured a little late, and 177 took a bit too long to drop the big ball, so we were kindly asked to head for the endzone w/o scoring (BTW - this was a mistake because the 10 pts for the big ball and the 10 pts for the Bobcat in the endzone are interchangeable). Anyway, the match stopped at 1:01, the Bobcat fell over out of bounds, and the alliance scored 390pts (9 small, 1 large, 3 bots, 2 goals, less than 60s).

The 520 occured in the next round. (12 small, 1 large, 2 goals, 1:09 remaining)

The third round was the most impressive even though the score was less (510 - only 11 small) because there was actually 1:15 left on the clock when the match ended.

The fourth was exactly the same, except that we fumbled w/the ball for a second and there was only 1:06 on the clock at the end.

P.J.

Team #177

Posted by Fred Agnir at 03/08/2001 8:58 AM EST

Coach on team #126, Gael Force, from Clinton HS and Nypro Inc…

In Reply to: Gladly!
Posted by P.J. Baker on 03/07/2001 9:31 PM EST:

: The exact same play was run in all 4 mathces. In the 1st round, the balance occured a little late, and 177 took a bit too long to drop the big ball, so we were kindly asked to head for the endzone w/o scoring (BTW - this was a mistake because the 10 pts for the big ball and the 10 pts for the Bobcat in the endzone are interchangeable).

The decision to send Team 177 into the endzone rather than score the ball was based on time and pressure. In an earlier round, team 125 scrambling to put the ball on top rather than head to the endzone with what time they had left inadvertently toppled the goals and ramp. This reduced a potential score of 370’s down to 40’s. We did not want to start with a 40. We were looking for a safe 400. So, in our early strategy discussion, it was agreed that if Team 126 wasn’t balanced at 1:15, then Team 177 would go to the endzone rather than scramble for the ball on the goal.

Regards,

Fred Agnir

Posted by P.J. Baker at 03/08/2001 10:34 AM EST

In Reply to: Not a mistake
Posted by Fred Agnir on 03/08/2001 8:58 AM EST:

I guess that “mistake” is a little harsh. I was at the strategy meeting and remember that at 1:15 we were to head for the endzone, regardless of the big ball position. The point I was making in the post was this: We were going for about 50 basis points X 10 for the multiplier. If 177 fails to score the big ball, we are down to 40 basis points X 10 = 400. If we take 20 extra seconds and do score the big ball, the basis is up to 50 X 8, which is also 400. As long as Eric and Tommy (our drivers) kept their wits about them, the more correct play would have been to score the big ball and cut power in the endzone. If they made it with 0:31 to 0:60s left the score is 392, with 1:01 or more left. the score climbs to 490.

I guess that what I should have said was that this was a small flaw in the strategy, not a mistake. In the end it does not matter.

In spite of this, I would like to make one thing clear: GAELFORCE WAS AN AMAZING ALLIANCE LEADER. They smoked everybody in the draft (how on earth is 69 the 7th pick?!?!?!?), and did a great job incorporating all of the teams into the final plan.

Thanks again for picking the Bobcat. We’ll see you in Fl.

P.J.
Team #177

Posted by Andy Grady at 03/08/2001 11:29 AM EST

Other on team #126, Gael Force, from Clinton High School and Nypro Inc…

In Reply to: Re: Not a mistake
Posted by P.J. Baker on 03/08/2001 10:34 AM EST:

Just to add to that “how was 69 the 7th pick!!!” I would also like to add, “How on earth were the Bobcats still around at number 3!!!” I sat there at the end of the draft thinking to myself “We got all of our first choices…how is that possible!!!” Great Job guys.
Good Luck,
Andy Grady

Posted by Hannah at 03/08/2001 6:19 PM EST

Student on team #126, Gael Force, from Clinton High School and NYPRO.

In Reply to: Lucky Draw!
Posted by Andy Grady on 03/08/2001 11:29 AM EST:

Luck had nothing to do with it Andy it’s all STRATEGY what do you think we made that play book for, just for fun? :slight_smile:

Posted by mike oleary at 03/08/2001 9:14 PM EST

Student on team #419, rambots, from bc high and sponsors are overrated…go pocket-change robots!!!.

In Reply to: Re: Lucky Draw!
Posted by Hannah on 03/08/2001 6:19 PM EST:

yes i bet that probably is what you made the play book for…youd be suprised at some of the things people do for fun…especialy some of the things rambots do for fun…

: Luck had nothing to do with it Andy it’s all STRATEGY what do you think we made that play book for, just for fun? :slight_smile:

Posted by Stephen Riley at 03/08/2001 10:17 PM EST

Engineer on team #419, RAMBOTS, from Wentworth Institute of Technology and sponsors? what are they?.

In Reply to: Re: Lucky Draw!
Posted by mike oleary on 03/08/2001 9:14 PM EST:

: yes i bet that probably is what you made the play book for…youd be suprised at some of the things people do for fun…especialy some of the things rambots do for fun…

: : Luck had nothing to do with it Andy it’s all STRATEGY what do you think we made that play book for, just for fun? :slight_smile:

hey those are trade secrets mike, don’t you give any away, besides people would be frightened

Posted by Ken Leung at 03/08/2001 9:10 PM EST

Student on team #192, Gunn Robotics Team, from Henry M. Gunn Senior High School.

In Reply to: Re: Not a mistake
Posted by P.J. Baker on 03/08/2001 10:34 AM EST:

After looking at the regional online as well as reading to messages like this, it seems to me that this kind of rush judgments is made all the time.

So, the problem here is that people are making decision base on the assumption that time multiplier is the most important. But is that really true?

Say we are trying to score a 700, we can do it either by getting 60 base point under 30 seconds, or 70 pts under a minute. And in this case, the one under 1 minute seems better. But that’s an extreme, so…

It seems like teams should really look at the trade off between base points and multiplier… and it actually doesn’t seems hard to get more points during the finals with the right partners.

So, what does everyone think? Is getting more points easier than what we used to think?

Posted by Joe Johnson at 03/08/2001 9:23 PM EST

Engineer on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

In Reply to: seems like this is common
Posted by Ken Leung on 03/08/2001 9:10 PM EST:

I have not seen anything more than the UTC Regional,
but right now, based on what I have seen and what I
think I will see, 710 or 720 seems about the top end
though if there is a GREAT fast two floor based 2 goal
balancing machine out there, it may make 810 or 820
possible.

Here is how I see it:

3 robots plus stretcher in endzone.

11 or 12 small balls in goals.

2 balls on goals.

Both goals balances in under 60 seconds – The magical,
nay, mystical, double-double-double-and-a-half.

Base score: 71 or 72
Multiplier: 10X
Total Score: 710 or 720

Now, if this ground balancer comes up or if a WildStang
type ramp bot can figure a way to get that 4th robot in
the end zone without costing the
double-double-double-and-a-half or any of the other
base points, then we may see scores North of 800 but
that seems to me to be significantly less than a 50-50
chance at this point.

But as usual… …I reserve the right to be wrong.

Joe J.

Posted by Rob Gordon at 03/09/2001 9:20 AM EST

Engineer on team #69, H.Y.P.E.R., from Quincy Public Schools and The Gillette Co…

In Reply to: 710 or 720 seems about it
Posted by Joe Johnson on 03/08/2001 9:23 PM EST:

If you use “strategy 69” you can easily score in the 600-700+ range. Strategy 69 involves using the HYPER robot (team 69!) to become a ramp on the far side of the field.

A robot that is good at pulling goals latches onto the close goal and gets is filled quickly with black balls.
Meanwhile, another robot that can push goals gets lined up with other goal, and another robot places a big ball on top.

The goal near the human players is driven up the bridge and dropped in the middle.

The robot drives over the HYPER bot off of the bridge and the other goal is pushed up the HYPER ramp onto the bridge so that they are both balanced.

All the robots blast to the endzone.

This is easily done in a minute with average robots and yields over 600 points. If you introduce a strecher or a robot that can put a big ball on each goal, you are over 700.

Just my 2 cents.

-Rob G

Posted by Fred Agnir at 03/08/2001 9:46 AM EST

Coach on team #126, Gael Force, from Clinton HS and Nypro Inc…

: As best I can recall, it was the round that #177 was
: about to put a big ball on the balanced goal when they
: realized that time was going to tick under 1:01 if they
: didn’t head for the end zone and I mean NOW! As I
: recall, the Bobcats, headed home with a ball in their
: gripper and ran so fast that they flipped themselves,
: but they fell out of bounds with the ball between them
: and the ground so they were ruled “in the endzone”

This was the the 390pt. match.

The 520pt. match had 12 black balls, one big ball, 2 goals balanced, and 3 robots in the endzone with more than a minute left. 52 points x 2.5 x 4 = 520.

Fred +~~~ liked the video of the 510 match