Hiring Senior Mentor for Guam

GuamFIRST is hiring a Senior Mentor to support the growing needs of FRC teams on the small US territory.

Check out the Position Description and consider applying!

Do I have to move to Guam?

FTFY

21 fll teams and 2 frc teams this year. Looks like a nice place to spend some time. Wonder what the compensation is.

I’m sure its way too low, as it probably is on the mainland as well.

People might want to take a closer look at the linked position description, I’m not so sure this is really about Guam… :wink:

folks need to read the WHOLE thing… There’s a point to this and it’s not for laughs.

How far do they think First will grow on Guam? Guam is only so big (about 8 square miles) There can’t be but so many schools and groups not to mention sponsors to support but so many JrFLL, FLL, FTC and FRC teams. The logistics and cost of competing off the island has to be huge.

What happens when off island teams come and compete in Guam? :wink:

Support FIRST, FLL, etc, multiple teams… and part time?

Anyone who knows anything knows that it’ll be a 24x7 job.

According to Rep. Hank Johnson the island might tip over … perhaps that takes 8000 marines … :slight_smile:

Hopefully they’d play to their full capabilities at the event, and behave graciously both at the event and afterwards online, right? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Do you think they might also bring several volunteers for the event with them? :wink:

This document does a great job at outlining why they are changing the role of their FSM compared to the national model, and I certainly think FIRST should take a serious look at this.

I am sorry Nate but you are going to have to be more open in your satire, next time try North Korea or something. Heck, maybe just cut straight to Mars.

That proposal seems a bit… modest.

It’s honestly a really good read. Looks like Guam is taking a different, but still very serious approach to sustainability and growth.

For reference:

Would the position include getting to commute in a roadster?

Thing about Guam:

"Guam (/ˈɡwɑːm/ ); Chamorro: Guåhån ˈɡʷɑhɑn]) is an unincorporated and organized territory of the United States in Micronesia in the western Pacific Ocean.[4][5] The capital city of Guam is Hagåtña and the most populous city is Dededo. The inhabitants of Guam are called Guamanians, and they are American citizens by birth. Indigenous Guamanians are the Chamorros, who are related to other Austronesian natives to the west in the Philippines and Taiwan.

In 2016, 162,742 people resided on Guam. Guam has an area of 210 square miles (540 km2) and a population density of 775 per square mile (299/km2)."

I think FIRST should reach out to a teacher within Guam for the extra part-time opportunity. The overall cost to hire someone within the 48 would exceed the salary (from what I would think), and not considering the cost of living. It would be cool if Guam became the epic center for FIRST, having at least another championship there (think of spending your Spring Break in Guam).

The document isn’t about Guam though…