History of FIRST games?

I was wondeing if anyone knew the basics of the previous year FIRST games from 1992 to 1999 (I already know 2000/2001/2002)

Thanks

(sorry if I put this in the wrong forum)

team 151’s website has a picture of all thier old robots from 93 and on, and a small description and the name of that years game. no description though
http://www.baesystemsfirst.org/team151/history.html

We have old video dating back from the beginning but I don’t know any way to convert it to avi.

Nataku-
Thanks

I’m looking for what the games were, basic rules, what the field was like, scoring, basic stuff. That site has only pics of the bots and how 151 did that year

www.aztechs157.org has some info on previous years except 92 I believe

I’m not 100% sure on this, but in 1992 the game was a maze covered in corn. The object was to negotiate your robot through the maze and retrieve ping-pong balls. The name was maize craze. I believe that Andy Baker or others on Team 45 may have video or more information on the game and other years.

1999 Floppies and Puck. “Double Trouble” Play 4 robots, two against two, first year of alliances. Pick up 2’ diameter nylon disks filled with styrofoam from floor or human, maneuver to grab 8’ goal called a “puck” get extra points if you get on the puck without touching floor, multiplier if you get the floppies above 8’, extra if you get the puck on your side of the playing field.
1998 “Ladder Logic”. Three scoring ladders at a 15 degree angle from the floor attached to a central circular 8’ or 10’ high cage. Get the balls into the cage for points and position balls on one of the ladder positions. The ladder had three separate scores, you received the score for where you color was on the ladder as a multiplier for the number of balls in the central cage. The highest position was a three multiplier, then two, then one.
1997 Inner Tubes onto a triangular (pyramid)central goal. “Toroid Terror” Points differ for where tubes are set on side pegs (one of three separate scoring pegs on each side) Multipliers for how many tubes were held over the top of the pyramid and extra points if you were above all the others. The pyramid rotated and some teams actually turned the device as a defensive move. Our robot could hold four tubes at 14’ above the floor. The judges had to get a ladder from the janitors at Midwest to check that all our tubes were centered over the goal. This year also was on the old controllers and the small speed controllers. (which burned out on a regular basis!)
1996 “Hexagon Havoc” Involved running a maze and depositing one large and several small balls in a hexagonal goal that had vertical dowels. The large ball had to fall through a hole in the goal. I don’t remember exactly how the score went. someone else should be able to fill in the details. I joined the team to help with video documentation late in the season and never saw the game played.

My favorite game was 2000, “Co-Opertition FIRST”. It involved the right mix of human player, field obstacles, robot manipulation and excitement. It was also the first year where participants used game specific terms. i.e. “can you chinup, limbo, ramp, steal?” It also played to the need to give points to the opposition as your score was determined when you won as three times the losers score. Win by 30 to 0 and get zero qualifying points.

1 Like

*Originally posted by Al Skierkiewicz *
**My favorite game was 2000, “Co-Opertition FIRST”. It involved the right mix of human player, field obstacles, robot manipulation and excitement. It was also the first year where participants used game specific terms. i.e. “can you chinup, limbo, ramp, steal?” It also played to the need to give points to the opposition as your score was determined when you won as three times the losers score. Win by 30 to 0 and get zero qualifying points. **

nods it was an amazing game

It was our first year but in 2000 it involved the right amount of engineering with the right amount of strategy…and there was no one sure way to win like in the years since…such as Balancing in 2001 and controlling the goals in 2002…

*Originally posted by gsensel *
**I’m not 100% sure on this, but in 1992 the game was a maze covered in corn. The object was to negotiate your robot through the maze and retrieve ping-pong balls. The name was maize craze. I believe that Andy Baker or others on Team 45 may have video or more information on the game and other years. **

There was no maze and I it was made of mashed up corn cobs. The robots were quite small. It looked like legp league being played in a sandbox.

Here are the games that I think haven’t been mentioned yet by Al…

1992 - Maize Craze: Object of the game was to manuver your way in a field covered with corn kernels and pick up as many tennis balls as you could within the given time frame.
Champions: Nypro & Clinton High School

1993 - Rug Rage: 4 teams on a rectangular field. 4 Goals kinda like soccer goals with the crossbar slightly larger than the big balls. There were two different sized balls, one of which was filled with water.
Champions: Texas Instruments & Greenville High School

1994 - Tower Power: Three robots on the field, central goal about 4 feet high I believe. Soccer balls of three different colors on the field. Idea was to pick up your balls and place them in the tower for points. More points for getting the balls on the higher portion of the tower.
Champions: Proctor and Gamble & Walnut Hills High School

1995 - Ramp n Roll: Three teams on the field, each team with two balls. One 24", one 36". 2 Points for every time a small ball passed through goalposts which sat at the top of a ramp. 3 Points every time a big ball passed through the goal posts.
Champions: Raychem and Woodside High School

I’m such a FIRST Geek! Somehow I managed to remember everything before 1998, but after that, my mind gets hazy! Hope that helped a bit!

**1998 “Ladder Logic”. Three scoring ladders at a 15 degree angle from the floor attached to a central circular 8’ or 10’ high cage. Get the balls into the cage for points and position balls on one of the ladder positions. The ladder had three separate scores, you received the score for where you color was on the ladder as a multiplier for the number of balls in the central cage. The highest position was a three multiplier, then two, then one.

Each ball of your team’s color in the “cage” in the center doubled the score of balls of your team’s color on the “ladders.” Balls on the ladders scored one, two or three points from lowest (against the cage in the center) to the highest position at the outside.

Thanks Kit,
I couldn’t remember exactly how that worked my mind is so hazy here in the midst of the Midwest Regional. It was a great game for human players though. Ours (human that is) could launch a ball through the uprights from the player station about 80% of the time. It seems to me that Technocats had a good robot that year…

**Thanks Kit,
I couldn’t remember exactly how that worked my mind is so hazy here in the midst of the Midwest Regional. It was a great game for human players though. Ours (human that is) could launch a ball through the uprights from the player station about 80% of the time. It seems to me that Technocats had a good robot that year… **

. . . .Yep, a good robot and GREAT driver and operator

I remember when my brother was in FIRST(96 and 97 or 97 and 98 one or the other)… Button man… Now I took over… Great great games…