Hollywood's forgotten robots

I am a sort of movie buff…and I have recently been realizing a kind of prejudice in the field of filmmaking, past and present.

Not racist…not even sexist…I’m talkin’ ROBOTIST, baby!!!

Over the years, the greatest that robotics has to offer have been subcast to leading stars like Tom Cruise and Steve Guttenberg, and since then they have been long forgotten in the realm of Hollywood.

Thus I have created this thread, not to complain about robotism, for that is a fight that will never be won, but to reflect on and remember some of the greatest forgotten robots in motion picture history.

-Johnny-Five from Short Circuit ("would you like to be a pepper, too)

-Andrew from Bicentennial Man

-Giggalo Joe from A.I.: Artificial Intelligence

-J-5 from Blankman (OH LIKE YOU HAVEN’T SEEN IT!!!)

-WeeBo from Flubber

If you would like to comment or have any other additions, please help me to remember the most influencial pieces of metal in the history of robotics in movies…and please, Frank Stallone does not count.

P.S.: Can I get a shout-out from the kid in the Hurricane costume? WHAT’S UP WITH THAT?!?!

MechaGodzilla and Mecha-King Ghidorah, hi.

…one mustn’t forget Jet-Jaguar, either.

R2D2.

Those little dudes from “Batteries Not Included”.

What about the girl from Small Wonder? Does she count?

*Originally posted by amandabean *
**What about the girl from Small Wonder? Does she count? **

Vicky!!!

/me reminices about all the shows she used to grow up on.

I cannot remember the robots name, or even if it was mentioned in the first place. But the robot from Revenge of the Nerds.

Help on the name would be greatly apreciated.

Here’s a robot … [bonus points to anybody who honestly remembers these movies]

Not Quite Human
Still Not Quite Human

Chip! :slight_smile:

Robby The Robot from Forbidden Planet!

Check my personal image for a good look at him. Keep in mind that, in the picture, I’m the human, he’s the robot.

Robot from Lost in Space…come on with the Robinsons and everyone…classic. =)

What about Box from Logan’s Run (most of you are probably too young for that movie, I know): Box

Some other good old robots are Twiki from Buck Rogers of the 25th Century, and Bishop from Aliens, Hal 9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey, Maria from Metropolis (1927) and Gort from The Day the Earth Stood Still. And so many more!

MissInformation

<=============>
“I am incapable of making an error.” -HAL

*Originally posted by Scudzey *
**I cannot remember the robots name, or even if it was mentioned in the first place. But the robot from Revenge of the Nerds.

Help on the name would be greatly apreciated. **

I told Zangre to include that one! I had just watched the movie the other night.

I think robots are sexy, too.

*Originally posted by MissInformation *
** Hal 9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey, **

I always thought that HAL was a sentinient(sp?) computer entity, not a robot.

*Originally posted by RogerR *
**I always thought that HAL was a sentinient(sp?) computer entity, not a robot. **

There’s been lots of debate about that, but most websites that give a list of Hollywood’s robots list Hal. True, Hal was a computer, however, people argue that the heart and brains of a robot is a computer, and that by taking over the ship, Hal obtained a body which put him into the robot class.

Another interesting tidbit is that Metropolis goes down in history for the first “robot” in film, however, there were movies before Metropolis that featured “autonomous beings”. They were robots in everything but name. I have a really cool website book-marked at home about the history of robots in film, I’ll try to remember to post the link when I get home.

MissInformation

<=============>
“There can be no understanding between the hand and the brain unless the heart acts as mediator.” Metropolis

How about Huey, Louie, and Dewy from Silent Running?

*Originally posted by Brandon Martus *
**Here’s a robot … [bonus points to anybody who honestly remembers these movies]

Not Quite Human
Still Not Quite Human

Chip! :slight_smile: **

Wasn’t there a third in that movie series? Got to go with C3PO.

*Originally posted by Brandon Martus *
**Here’s a robot … [bonus points to anybody who honestly remembers these movies]

Not Quite Human
Still Not Quite Human

Chip! :slight_smile: **

HAHAHAHA!!!

Kirk Cameron as a robot… Classic… lol

Here’s the link to the website I mentioned earlier: CYBERCINEMA The sound gallery is very amusing!

It is an interesting site, but it isn’t complete. It doesn’t list that really bad 80s horror movie, Chopping Mall, which has run-amuck security robots… and to think, my friends and I actually went to the theaters to see that one…

MissInformation

<===========>
Hey, at least the robots were polite! They always said “Thank you, have a nice day” after killing somebody in brutal and gory manner.

*Originally posted by Elgin Clock *
**HAHAHAHA!!!

Kirk Cameron as a robot… Classic… lol **

You’ve mixed in Growing Pains by accident.
Not Quite Human had Alan Thicke, but it had Jay Underwood as Chip. Kirk (who looks very simliar) was on Growing Pains with Thicke…

Does Data from ST:TNG count? :slight_smile:

How can people forget the ED-209 from RoboCop or even RoboCop himself!

Drop your weapon. You have fifteen seconds to comply.