Homemade Blue Banner

So here I am… on a Wednesday afternoon writing about a piece of fabric that I have turned into one of FIRST’S most prestigious awards: the Blue Banner.

For some context, I am from team 4123, so we have never seen what a blue banner really looks like. That’s what inspired this entire journey that produced something that I am personally proud of and thought I should share with y’all: The Homemade Blue Banner

As you can tell, this design has heavy inspiration from another parody blue banner that someone had made around 4 years ago and on a [reddit post] (Reddit - Dive into anything)

The real reason I made this banner though, was as a gift to our head mentor to present to him during our end of season robotics banquet. He really loved it and everyone thought it was a funny gift, so all the effort payed off in the end. Just thought I should share this beauty with y’all!

43 Likes

Also, in spirit of our team never winning a blue banner, I present to you: the first blue banner blanket.

24 Likes

@Connor_McBride

2 Likes

Bought one from Kristine before she had to take it down from her Etsy store. Easily one of the best purchases I’ve made.

Always hanging in the background when I’m on a FUN show.

16 Likes

that’s so cool!
do you know why she had to take it down from her shop?

1 Like

I would bet on “use of a trademarked item”.

The item in question being the older version of the FIRST logo.

4 Likes

Approved.

Rather unfortunate your team didn’t get a wildcard at LA this year.

4 Likes

Are these not enough of a parody to be sold? I’d buy a few as gifts as well.

3 Likes

Looks like the website hasn’t been updated in a while, but you can buy blue banners (with the FIRST logo) from the same place FIRST gets them. It won’t be cheap though.

https://www.first4tees.net/first-banners

7 Likes

$300 is unjustifiable

5 Likes

I’m not gonna mention them, but there are countless teams with fake banners on display in their shop. Mostly for non-banner awards, but also one outright fake. Seems to be justified to them.

“Imagery Award” banner is quite ironic.

16 Likes

Congratulations on being Finalists at LAR this year though!

4 Likes

Don’t quote me on this cause I could be very wrong, but the issue is that it was a saleable item with a companies logo and the company did not give permission. Again, I could be wrong here.

Just like the OP, you can always make one for yourself (as long as you’re not selling them)

3 Likes

20 Likes

@Intelyc you should show everyone the other banner as well LOL

2 Likes

I don’t have a picture of that one… basically just another homemade blue banner except its printed instead of poorly drawn with acrylic paints lol

2 Likes

Our first couple years a sponsor ordered us blue banners for participation. It was fun to pull those back out and make the current students go “whaaaa”.

Times were different then.

1 Like

From what I’ve heard you are correct.

1 Like

omg I love it, how did you do it? is it some kind of sticker?

2 Likes

Thanks! For the fabric, I’m not entirely sure what it was as we just had some lying around that we cut down to size. As for the letters and logo, I sketched the design with a bar of soap beforehand (which washes right off in the end) and painted with acrylic paints we also had lying around. We had to do around 3 coats of paint for it to actually stick haha.

1 Like