Horrible Lego Leauge Site

I am a senior First Team Member, and I, along with some friends, are mentoring a First Lego League Team. Today was our first day and we set out to findout information on the game(objectives, rules, etc…). We found that the website http://www.firstlegoleague.org/ is absolutly horrible. Navagation is had to understand and unclear, and information is almost impossible to find without waiding through page after page of usless crap. We finnaly compiled our own instructions from their sketch instructions and printed. Then we decided to print the PDF files on how to construct the game board. It ended up being over 300 pages. It was incredible, some pages would have a picture of how to put ONE piece on ONE other piece, and the picture would take up around 1/10th of the page. This years game theme is susposda be about saving the environment, but if every team has to print over 300 pages of material just to find out how to set up the game board then we might as well change the theme to CloraForbonPlus(sp). I am just lettin of steam. If anyone has any ideas as to how to contact the creators of this site and hopefully get something changed please let me know…thanx

Gope

You know, you don’t have to print the 300 page manuals :slight_smile: They’re on computers for a reason. (Anybody else have parents that print out every single email they get? We probably go through ~300 sheets of paper a month…and my dad is the only person who prints anything)

Bad. Should choose country on a non-flash pre-page.

Also, what the hell is the challange?

*Originally posted by evulish *
**You know, you don’t have to print the 300 page manuals :slight_smile: They’re on computers for a reason. (Anybody else have parents that print out every single email they get? We probably go through ~300 sheets of paper a month…and my dad is the only person who prints anything) **

I just remember in college, almost all of the grad students in one of my classes printed out some sample code that we had to use in a program. They then proceeded to type it back into their own program. Uhm… copy/paste?

There must’ve been about 15 people doing this. I was so dumbfounded.

*Originally posted by Brandon Martus *

I just remember in college, almost all of the grad students in one of my classes printed out some sample code that we had to use in a program. They then proceeded to type it back into their own program. Uhm… copy/paste?

There must’ve been about 15 people doing this. I was so dumbfounded. **

Actually, that’s not as dumb as it sounds. The main reason for someone doing this is so that they actually understand what they’re doing. By typing it back in, they have to think about what they’re typing and actually figure out what it does. It’s the same reason you’d want to actually type sample code from a book. You don’t learn anything by copy-paste.

Matt

*Originally posted by JosephM *
**Bad. Should choose country on a non-flash pre-page.

Also, what the hell is the challange? **

Basically, it involves moving things around (food, building materials, houses, toxic waste) and running into things/making them move (bridge, windmill). Full details are at:
http://www.firstlegoleague.org/sitemod/design/layouts/default/index.asp?pid=7540.

*Originally posted by Gope *
It was incredible, some pages would have a picture of how to put ONE piece on ONE other piece, and the picture would take up around 1/10th of the page.

Um you’ve never built Legos before have you? That’s kinda how it works.

Yeah I gotta agree with Johca_Gaorl, that’s standard format for lego instruction sheets!!

I am a Coach for one of the teams in Watertown,CT. And let me just say…this year is not only confusing but the kids have so much to do in a 2 minute game…I believe the matches are only 2 minutes. And to top it all off FIRST didn’t even give us all the parts to make the buildings. Just by observing the three teams here I believe that the kids are going to have a hard time with this match.

*Originally posted by Shorty237 *
**I believe the matches are only 2 minutes. **

I mentor teams 578 and 579 this year, and I think it is 2 1/2 min.
There also seems to be an extreme amount of tasks to compete this year.

Also, the words in the instructions, except colors, are in German. Granted, the title on the first page of each set are the only words in the instructions, except for colors. They are still in GERMAN.

ya know, I kinda wish I found out about FLL a few years ago!

shrug Oh well, that’s life! :smiley:

And on the tigerbolt chat they consider me young for 15, yeesh. lol.

*Originally posted by Gope *
**Also, the words in the instructions, except colors, are in German. Granted, the title on the first page of each set are the only words in the instructions, except for colors. They are still in GERMAN. **

It’s probably dutch, cause I think that’s where lego started. Oh no wait, it’s Danish, cause it started in Denmark, someone help me out, please

Yes, it’s Denmark. but could be in german, depending on where it was sold.

Did you try http://www.usfirst.org/jrobtcs/flg_gi.htm ?

That page seems fairly informative. The other pages are pretty messed up.

whoa, you two just revived a dead- 2 year dead thread.

oops, my bad.