How are you co-driving?

I am curious as to how teams are utilizing the ability to have two drivers. We are having one driver drive and shoot, and the other control the intake mechanism. What are other people doing?

Our team is having one driving the drive base, and the other controlling the intake and shooter.

We have one person (me) driving the bot, controlling the intakes and the catapult. The second joystick controls the camera’s position.

Our second driver right now controls our release arm, but I am currently migrating that to our primary joystick so that we can have two “coaches” to better evaluate strategies.

We have one driver who controls the drive base and shifting (two joysticks) and a weapons officer who controls everything else (gamepad).

Currently have the driver just controlling the base and the operator using the claw and shooter. I’m vaguely considering the idea of giving the driver a fire button to time truss shots, but with enough practice that shouldn’t be necessary.

We have it set up so that anything that is dependent on the driver’s actions (pick up a ball, shifting, etc.). the other driver is responsible for everything else (shooting, setting an angle to shoot, etc.).

We are not sure at this point, but we might only have one driver. We only have three independent controls besides our main drivetrain, and we have more than enough buttons for that. If we had a second though, he would control catapult and catcher.

How is shooting and setting the shot angle not also dependent on the driver’s actions?? Do you not have the ability or desire to shoot on the move?

Right now we are only having one driver, but we have automated much of the sequencing for him.

In case of sensor failure, we have it on the dashboard to enable the manual overrides. We are toying with the idea of having the 2nd controller to only do manual overrides, and put it in a “in case of emergency, break glass” box.

Have to check the rules for allowing drivers with hammers and breaking glass though.

We also have a pretty simple bot, drive train, 2 speed that auto shifts, arm that auto retracts with ball, and a shooter. We thought it may be better to free up the 2nd driver to watch field and coach driver, and let drive coach be able to direct inbounder which way to go?

Just thoughts at this point, and mapping buttons is easy when the code is working. We have great experience with it as, drivers seem to have endless amount of requests. :slight_smile:

We have one driver that drives the robot with an RC Controller and the other driver controls all the mechanisms using a Logitech game pad.

We have one driver control driving and shooting, and one do ball pickup. This is a very simple task that most would think could be accomplished by the driver as well. However, just shifting that one and only job to a second driver frees up the main driver to concentrate on everything else.

A crazy thing to do is to have one student control the left side of the drive train and intake…another student controls the right side and shooter.

But i’m just a crazy person.

Twitch Plays Pokemon, FRC edition.

start

We’re doing driver on one pad, arm/claw/shooter on another. Shooter may move to driver, it’s up for debate.

Our team splits it up into two systems: drive train/shooter, and intake systems. I control the former, while my copilot controls the latter. We decided to do this about 9PM on bag day because I was tired of doing what I called “finger yoga” with the joystick.

And I now realize my entire post was irrelevant as Mr. Copilot himself is the one who started the thread.

Teams who have somebody else controlling the shooting, how does that work? I wouldn’t feel comfortable having to line up someone else’s shot.

While it is weird it splits up the task. If you have a good robot lining up is not a problem.
We mounted a range finder on ours to make it a little easier for the driver as well, and have it display a user message when you get in range.

We have one driver, and our strategy lead on the field. This is mostly because the driver controls are rather simple this year.

We’re doing the exact same thing.

Our crew has one driver. Stick in the right hand, presets under the left hand (and I’m not sure how many he’s got, but he can have a LOT!).

That gives one extra spotter/coach.