How can I reserve a static IP on an openmesh om5p-ac?

I am trying to reserve a static IP for my roborio and raspberry pi to ensure that networktables works with the FMS, but I cannot access the router configuration settings. Normally how I would reserve a static IP would be to edit the DCHP server settings through the router configuration. This doesn’t seem possible, because when I enter 10.TE.AM.1 into google chrome the router seems to be actively refusing my attempts to login. I am not with the robot ATM and will post the refusal message tomorrow.

Note: I have not installed the february firmware update on the router yet.

I also may be going about this the wrong way, so I ask:
How can I reserve a static IP for the RoboRIO and Raspberry pi?

For RoboRIO and Raspberry Pi, we’ve been using mDNS services, where the RIO is “roboRIO-TEAM-FRC.local” and the Pi configured somewhere along the lines of “team263-raspi.local”. We’ve been addressing the driver’s station on a static IP of “10.TE.AM.5”, the static IP recommended by the FMS Whitepaper. Just remember that you have to use a Class A Subnet Mask for this. Any questions feel free to PM me.

You cannot reverse static ip addresses on the OpenMesh radios. The DHCP server starts at 10.TE.AM.20. You should be safe using anything from 10.TE.AM.11 to 10.TE.AM.19

FIRST (as far as I remember) does not let you access the settings of the radio for a bunch of reasons (some legal, some control freak).

However, you still can set static IP’s. The following article on screen steps describes stuff quite well at a basic level, and is a good resource to give to student’s who don’t know much about networking: https://wpilib.screenstepslive.com/s/4485/m/13503/l/696075-networking-basics

Addresses to avoid:

The addresses listed below should not be used in order to prevent conflict with the field wireless.

Robot Radio Static 10.TE.AM.1 assigned by radio configuration utility
Field Access Point Static 10.TE.AM.4 assigned by FRC
Field DHCP Range 10.TE.AM.20  10.TE.AM.255

Acceptable addresses:

The addresses listed below are recommendations of acceptable addresses for a static setup.

roboRIO Static 10.TE.AM.2 Subnet Mask of 255.255.255.0
Driver Station Static 10.TE.AM.5 Subnet Mask of 255.0.0.0
IP Camera/Other Static 10.TE.AM.6  10.TE.AM.19  Subnet Mask of 255.255.255.0

It also comments on the second heading of “Static Addressing” (yes, they decided to have two identical headings… :mad:

Static Addressing

In a static addressing configuration, the configuration should be the same in the pits as it is on the field. Any programming computers will need to have an IP Address set in the 10.TE.AM.xx range with a subnet of 255.255.255.0

Remember (for everyone, static or not), THERE IS NO DHCP SERVER IN THE PITS.
We had issues last year with networking, and had to make everything static, and as we tried to test things in the pit’s and then they wouldn’t work on the field, was extremely painful.

If you don’t set things to static, your devices should use link-local and change to 192.168 addresses (from the 10.0 addresses needed on the field).

If you have everything as static, you should be fine but you might need to change your driver station/programming laptops IP to have a subnet of 255.255.255.0 as mentioned in the quotes above.

Issues will occur if you set some devices to static and some not, with devices seeing and not seeing each other in the pits and on the field as things move between DHCP and link-local.

If you do set things to static, I would recommend getting tape and writing the IP of devices on the tape, so anyone (including FTA’s) can see the IP.

Again, remember, THERE IS NO DHCP SERVER IN THE PITS, AND SO YOUR NETWORK CONFIGURATION WILL CHANGE BETWEEN THE PITS AND THE FIELD.

(I don’t mean the caps to come across as angry, I just want everyone to know. Sorry if this message comes across as angry!)

FYI, as other people have mentioned, and as are mentioned in the article, mDNS is used for names, as so in a default configuration you can use roboRIO-4613-FRC.local for the roboRIO (just use it is if it is an ip address).
However, if a device does not support mDNS then it’s ip address will be randomly assigned, like normal, but you will have no way to know what it is (do not rely on it happening to like certain addresses.) If a device you have does not support mDNS, you should move everything to static. Personally, if you just use a RoboRIO straight to the Router, with no more devices, you should use the standard DHCP + mDNS setup FIRST recommends. However, for more than that (say if you’re including a Pi for vision and using NetworkTables) then I would recommend setting everything to static.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask! (Not that I know much more than reading the article and experience.)

Thanks!
Tom