how can you get more materials?

i was working on a project for my school ,a dn due to advance details we ended up running out of slots to get more materials, how can i fix this problem and be able to complete the project, any help and soon can help, i only have two weeks to complete it and render it and it’s about a million times more complex then our first entry…

Woo. I’m back giving advice.

Anyways, just change your material type to a multi/sub-material. Correct me if I am mistaken, but I believe that button is the one with the sphere and the arrow pointing to it in the material window. What you get with this is (I believe) the ability to have 1024 (could be less) different materials in one material. Each one is assigned a material number. You can directly modify the material number on a mesh by selecting a polygon and changing it’s number to correspond to the correct material. You can also apply a material modifier to an object. I dont have MAX in front of me at the mo, so you may just want to double check my advice in the MAX help windows.

Good luck with your project. And as always, happy animating =^P

-Robby O
[email protected]

By default you are limited to 24 materials… The only way I can think of to get around that if you are working with a lot more than that is to save groups of 24 into their own material libraries… create/select your 24 materials, apply them to whatever you need, etc… click get material, go to Mtl Editor and click save as… this will save it as a file so that you can recall it later, now go in and delete/reassign the material slots for your next group of materials and save it the same way… you can merge the files together when you are done and then drag and drop from the Material/Map Browser instead of from the Material Editor… and you can always drag out a material from the Material/Map Browser into the Material Editor if you need to make changes to it… there’s probably a better way to do this, but I hope this way makes sense for you…

-GH

Highland Class of 2k

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe you are saying that all of the material slots in the material editor window are used up. In MAX, you may have any number of materials in a scene. To get additional material slots, just click the button that looks like an “X”. This will clear the slot in the editor. When you do this, MAX will ask you if you want to clear just the editor slot, or the material in the scene as well. Since you want to make more materials, make sure you ONLY clear the editor slot. Now you have a free space! If you need to tweak a material that is in the scene but not in the editor, click the get material from button (a blue sphere with an arrow pointing to it) and click SCENE in the list in the upper left hand corner of the window that pops up. This window displays the name of every material in the scene, as well as the names of the objects each material is assigned to. When you haev this many materials in a scene, make sure you give each one a logical name so that this process becomes many times easier. Not only is this method a better method, but it is important to know that a material that is active in the editor takes up precious system resources. Be sure to keep only the materials you are currently working with active in the material editor window.

Hope this helps,
Brandon

Hey guys (or gals) thanks a bunch, yhea the one were you can clear it then be able to bring it up to modify works the way i wanted it to, and luckgully for me the project got expanded for another 3 weeks making life a lot easier, once i do finish i’ll be sure to post it up to show you guys what i am working on…

As long as you have a material assigned somewhere you can safely delete it from the editor (note that you must select to ONLY delete the editor’s copy) and retrieve it at any later time by retrieving a material from the scene. As a side note, to keep things manageable you can always make small geospheres, turn off the “renderable” option in object properties, apply materials, and hide/freeze them out of the way. Name them something along the lines of “Material Holder: Materialname” and you won’t have to worry about losing that hard-won material. Lots easier than flooding your library with things you won’t need more than once.