How did your team pick its name??

Just a question to all…I was wondering how your team picked its name. Our team name is cooney-quest. Cooney comes from our school mascot, a raccoon, did i spell that right?..hmmm…and Quest is the company that helps us build our robot. We get all our engineers from Quest, and we use Quest as our building area. Just wondering about everyone else…

Katelyn

When we “FIRST” (i had to do that) started off in 1992 we were known as “KHS FIRST”. We held that name till FIRST started giving teams permanent team numbers (98? 97?). When we were giving the number 45 we started using the name “TechnoKats”…

TechnoKats is made from…

Techno <—Technology

and

Kats <— Kokomo WildKats=High School, Kats is spelled with “K” becuase of Kokomo (everything in this town is)

:slight_smile:

FIRST (usually) is school+sponsor, so …

Chief = Pontiac Central High School Chiefs

Delphi = Delphi :slight_smile:

we just liked it R.A.C.E. Robotics And Creative Engineering. The logo (see my signature) has lightning cause our school is the lighting and we have been known as lightning robotics for a long time.

Originally we were the Crew, however when FIRST started giving out numbers, our team split into two. A team based in Scranton and a team based in Towanda. My team became SWATT which stood for the schools involved (Sayre, Wyalusing, Athens, Towanda, Troy). The folowing year, our mother team from Scranton split again to Tunkhannock. We were one and now we are three:) That same year we became WATTNESS (Wyalusing, Athens, Towanda, Troy, NorthEast, and Sayre Schools). The next year we stayed as WATTNESS, however as it does now, it stands for Wavery Central (NY), Athens, Towanda, Troy, & NorthEast School Systems.

Our robot name came from the original team the first year. It was called Charminator after one of our sponsors. The next year when our team split to be based in Towanda, it became Chuck (because of the Chuck Taylor All-Star Shoes!). Every year we have added a little something to give individuality to each robot.
Charminator
Chuck R2
Chuck Pi
Chuck IV
Chuck the fifth
Chuck N Moose (our mini-bot, which is to big to be a mouse!)

How about yours?

NEW= North East West (the 3 high schools that make us up in appleton)
Apple= from APPLEton Wisonsin
Corps= We are a team or a corps

Pretty simple
We also we have our AWESOME also simple logo which is a FIRST logo with an APPLE instead of a circle. We are an around simple team with a simple, yet powerful BSH of a robot.

Each year our team picks a theme. like last year was Flintstones so we went with robot name: “WILMA” - this years theme was The Wizard of OZ so we named our robot DOROTHY. Next year the team will come up with a new theme and name.

As far as team we chose robowizards after the 2000 Nationals took place. Our original name was team 371 C.M.O.S = Curtis McKee Omega Surpremes. We split into 2 Team 371 - Curtis Cyber Warriors and Team 522 The McKEE RoboWizards. The coaches saw a stuffed Wizard and hats at a disney store in 2000 and decided hey lets become the ROBO = (Robot) Wizards so ROBO WIZARDS.

wouldnt have it any other way.
sponsored in part by Credit Suisse First Boston Bank

curtis HS and Mckee HS were a 2 school alliance things went sour and decided to split into 2

Our team’s name is the Mechanical Bulls because the mascot of our town and school is the bull. We decided to put Mechanical in there to not just because we were a Robotics team, but because of a mural that the school painted. It showed a mechanical bull. We were going to use that as our logo but we never did and I’m not exactly sure why. If I find a picture of it I will post it here.

In our third year (1995) our team got a new sponsor. OSRAM SYLVANIA . That is when C.H.A.O.S. was born…
Central High AND OSRAM SYLVANIA. Last year since we had to increase our sponsorship, we changed it to Central High And Our Supporters.

Rob,

we did get pictures of the mural, but they were just digital pictures. a bunch of 1’s and 0’s that represented different colored dots that made a picture on the screen. but, to print that we would need vector art (or something like that) which is lines instead of pixels. so, we made our own thing (look at the buttons).

as for the robot name, El Toro is kinda obvious. i don’t like it, but no one listens to me :p. i say next year we go for whisper, but no one would understand that…

The names of a lot of cities around Metro Detroit have nothing to do with the city. For instance, TRW is in Farmington Hills, yet there are really NO hills in Farmington Hills.

HOWEVER, Walled Lake is the exception to this rule. There is actually a very nice lake with the town of Walled Lake at the north end. We thought it would be funny to do a theme based on the mythical monsters that inhibit so many lakes around the world like the Loch Ness Monster, or “Champ” the monster of Lake Champlain. Therefore, we created the myth of “The Walled Lake Monster”. We actually used to nickname the robot “Wally” (like they call the Loch Ness Monster “Nessie”), but some of the students didn’t like that so we stopped.

My team has had a diffrent name for every year we have been in FIRST (10 years) I’m not sure why we did not pick a name and stick with it. But this year We pick the Wild Cards because:

Wild-?

Cards-?

Actually we just wanted a name and a logo so the first kid who had a good logo drawn we just picked that one. It has nothing to do with our school and has red in it with is all our sponsor wanted. I dojn’t care what happens next year I am going to push to stick with that name just so I don’t have to go what I went throught my first year on the team.

2 weeks during the 6 weeks to decide logo and name when we could have been building.:mad:

But next year it is going to change.:smiley:

*Originally posted by Chris Hibner *
**The names of a lot of cities around Metro Detroit have nothing to do with the city. For instance, TRW is in Farmington Hills, yet there are really NO hills in Farmington Hills.

HOWEVER, Walled Lake is the exception to this rule. There is actually a very nice lake with the town of Walled Lake at the north end. We thought it would be funny to do a theme based on the mythical monsters that inhibit so many lakes around the world like the Loch Ness Monster, or “Champ” the monster of Lake Champlain. Therefore, we created the myth of “The Walled Lake Monster”. We actually used to nickname the robot “Wally” (like they call the Loch Ness Monster “Nessie”), but some of the students didn’t like that so we stopped. **

We use a mythical monster theme idea too!

Chuck the WATTNESS Monster!

Well, the only monsters we have on our team are the sleep-deprived. Our team started the year before I was able to. I was told that the idea behind the Mach came from a commercial for the Gillette Mach III Razors. With Visteon as our sponsor and “V” rhyming with “3”, they decided on “Mach V”. We stuck with this for 2 years and then changed it to “Mach Vee” because too many people mispronounced it. I personally think that Mach V is better… oh well

When we started in 1996 a student had the idea of joining the names of our two schools’ mascots to form our team name: Wheeling Wildcats and Rolling Meadows Mustangs.

Originally posted by BURGDEW *
** Corps= We are a team or a corps

Well, kinda. Corps = corporation… and we chose to use that cause we needed a synonym for team. And N.E.W. Apple Corps just sounds cool! :wink:

Then of course there’s our robot’s nme - TOBOR… Every year TOBOR gets a new roman numeral :slight_smile: Next year, it’ll be TOBOR VI (wow, that looks weird!!)

• Katie

Before this year, our team was just Project Future, but when OHS and GHS joined this year, we became an ‘alliance’. Osecola schools + alliance = Osceola Alliance. I hate the name, it’s boring.

i love telling this story =-]

it was the fall of '97… our first meeting. we had a huge brainstorming session on possible names. we tried combining the mascots (Tigers and Bulldogs). Ti-Dogs was suggested. i suggested Bulgers (say it out loud… it’s funny, i promise). lots of other lame names were thrown out there. finally someone threw out the idea of making an acronym of the two schools. South Fork And Martin County or S.A.M. then an engineer from our sponsor said “what about Pratt & Whitney? they sould be in there, too.” then someone in the back of the room called out “S.P.A.M.” smiles spread through the room. we voted and that name killed the other ideas.

so we became S.P.A.M. – South Fork High School, Pratt & Whitney, And Martin County High School

did i mention that i love telling that story?

George
S.P.A.M.
Team 180

We got the “Miracle Workerz” from the DuPont “Miracles of Science” advertisements. And MOE our robot is an acronym for Miracle Of Engineering. We change our robot’s name every year, but it keeps MOE.

2000- MOE [now called big MOE]
2001- lil’ MOE
2002- MOEhawk

Even our uppet [my creation, with help] has a name… Giant MOE

-ducky