How do you connect the speed controller fans?

I did a search, but it never seems to have come up at any other time. I’m part of a completely rookie team, but this is one of the few things that’s stumped us so far. Do they just go to the current inputs on the victor? There don’t seem to be any other obvious connections on the controller itself other than the PWM input and and break/coast pins.

(Which reminds me of something else - are male ends of the PWM cables supposed to fit into the female connectors on the controller without any modification? I ask because our controllers have this little plastic bump on the inside of the socket that makes it completely impossible to connect them without filing it off.)

We always just crimp rings onto the ends of the leads and connect them along with the power input. As for the PWM cable, you can either file the bump off the shroud on the speed controller or you can file a corner off the cable itself.

*Originally posted by Iain *
**Do they just go to the current inputs on the victor? **
That is what Team 930 did last year and plan on it this year.

*Originally posted by Iain *
male ends of the PWM cables supposed to fit into the female connectors on the controller without any modification? I ask because our controllers have this little plastic bump on the inside of the socket that makes it completely impossible to connect them without filing it off

Yes they do fit. I thaught that at first too. They have a real snug fit so they don’t fall out during matches. I spent 2 mins just trying to connect one of those on saturday for our controls board. NO NEED FOR FILING.

According to IF, the fans are to be wired to the 12v input from the battery (not the output of the victor!). Make sure you get the correct polarity, as the fans may be damaged with reverse and won’t acutally cool the FET’s when reversed. The fans should run anytime the victor is powered.

Also, there is no keyed version of the PWM cable to fit into the shrouded Victors. Most cables fit in very snugg with a bit of force. If yours really don’t fit, trim the black cable terminal, not the Victor!

Shroud or not, I recomend using just a touch of your favorite glue to keep the PWM firmly seated. I’ve had good luck with just normal elmers glue.

-Andy A.

Okay, thanks everyone.

We twist the wires to the fan, trim to length and apply crimp terminals and the attach to the supply side of the controller. Red wire to + terminal of course.
The PWM cables have that little notch because there is a plastic block that you can buy that slips over the connector and holds it in place. They are available from any hobby shop that sells RC parts and do a nice job of protecting the pins.

This is what our team did last year. We solder little pieces of metal which are like 8’s and then heatshrink around the solder for insulation.

Pierson C
Team Coordinator
Bellarmine Robotics Team #360
The Revolution

cd_victor.jpg

cd_victor.jpg

The new and improved speed controllers now have the locking block built in. Nice job Innovation First!