How do you create your own textures in max?

I’m wondering, but, how do you make your own textures in 3dsmax5? I can’t find that many textures for download and some of them I just plain don’t like. I did find a cool alien texture though.

well, i think there are some texturing tutorials that came with the software.

I personally make my textures. The texture editor [shortcut M] has A LOT of power. If i can’t make it with thier tools i’ll photoshop something and use the bmp. Since the textures aren’t rendered in max till you render the scene you can make changes really easy, plus do multiple layers of textures to get a really nice realistic image. Try playing around with it.

Heres a little challenge for anyone:
Make tileable yellow and black caution bars at a 45 degree angle using only the tools in the editor.

Its actually simpler than it might seem…

I actually meant other than using the material editor.

sorry then, but even so your title is missleading.

It should be textures for max, not in max. Since you said in i assumed matterial editor.

And we all know what happens when we assume… :rolleyes:

http://www.3dcafe.com/asp/textures.asp

Also, if you have something like Photoshop or Paintshop or even Gimp you could take photographs from Google or something and just extract the parts you need.

I’ve found that often the best way to get textures is to make them yourself. That may mean in the material editor, but for realistic textures I usually used scanned images or digital photos I’ve taken. If you’re modeling realistically, you often think of something around you as a reference. It isn’t dificult to take pictures of the object or something made of the same material.

You can make pretty much any texture you want with the material editor in Max 5, so I have pretty much stopped getting pics of the web. Usually the seems are very visible any way. The only thing I really use is some textures of wood that I got off the net.:]

Pictures(scans) are ideal, but when you can’t get them make them in Adobe Photoshop. 2 weeks practice with tutorials on www.phong.com and www.deviantart.com will give you all the skills you need to pump out very realistic textures.

Good luck man.

P.S. don’t try to save on a network drive that is currently in use with 3dsMax, it crashes!!!

Heck, it doesn’t matter anymore, I’m not doing animation anymore since programming will take most of my time. At least others can use this thread as a reference.

*Originally posted by Trashed20 *
**Heres a little challenge for anyone:
Make tileable yellow and black caution bars at a 45 degree angle using only the tools in the editor. **

Already done that… :wink: It was the first thing I did when trying to make a material…