How early in the season did you get to test your programming?

I was curious how many teams don’t let their programmers touch the robot until one or two day before the robot gets shipped.

I know last year the first time I got to test the tracking code for our turret was Saturday before shipping.

This year I think I’ve had a total of ~30min. to test anything.

Is anyone else doing this bad?

Actually, we’ve been ‘testing’ modules - how to use a Gyro, how to use a GTS, how to read from the pressure transducer… all small, non-integrated pieces.

We drove a test chassis for 20 minutes, then had it ripped apart again.

In all, last night at 730pm, was the first time the electrical had been integrated with the rest of the chassis, and I’m going to have to ask them to take it apart tonight to remove a spacer that can destroy our encoder.

So, I guess a better answer is: We STILL haven’t tested our programming.


I didnt see the “yesterday” choice? :slight_smile:

(actually they first got to test the day before yesterday, and got it working yesterday)

We program up bits and pieces using EDUbot, Vex an/or last Years robots.

But integration and testing on the new robot will be done the last day before ship and fine tuned at the regional.

see you at the WI regional, maybe the Hamilton Sussex mini regional

FRC Team 1675

We have the luxury of more than a decade of old robots and parts to use for prototyping software. Our basic code framework was written and tested on last year’s robot weeks before this year’s drive base was in any condition to be powered up. As soon as the wires were in place, we turned it on and drove it around. We built the necessary feedback (pots, encoders, etc.) in to the design from the beginning, so we didn’t have to try to kludge anything in after the fact. The code for fancy features was also written and ready before the hardware to use it was assembled.

We also built specific times into our schedule this year for software debug on the “robot in progress”. Mechanical and electrical groups were supposed to leave the 'bot alone a couple of evenings a week so the software group could have unrestricted access. That worked out okay, mostly, and I am sure we’ll try the same thing next year.

There are only two things left to do to the programming. First is to reconfigure the presets after I accidentally misaligned a feedback pot when we locked it in place. Second is…autonomous mode. :eek:

We didn’t do anything particularly new this year, so we had most of the code tested in week 2 or 3.

Mind you, that last 10% of code takes 90% of the effort…

for us it’s more of a question of when we have a mostly complicated robot. We have a 7-man team, so i have enough influence as the only programmer to get them to let me test code.

Hopefully today Ill get to try out my code. Just a few more hours of build and we will be done. Then ill through some quick code on the bot for drive testing and then get the rest done late Sunday and on Monday.

We’ve been promised the robot the last two weeks for programming/testing. However the mechanical team is still working on getting all the pieces on and are now in weight reduction mode. We should get some time on it tomorrow night before it goes into the crate… hopefully.

We had driving code down pretty early, but then mechanical took over and finished the robot during this week (waited till after scrimmage to fix our major flaws), and worked alot on code today. We are doing our extensive testing with code tommorow before it gets shipped. Guess we’re pulling an all nighter :slight_smile:

I’ve only had 7 hourse to program (including testing). I will have another 7 tomorrow (hopefully) to finish it, as it gets shipped out the next day.

lol. I came to robotics, and there like, “Ok… We’ve got the box ready for tuesday.” I just kinda sat there confused. I said, “Tuesday… ?!? What box for what tuesday?” And of course they told me it was leaving in 2 days and I had NO programming done… So naturally, I went and got some pizza and procrastinated for another hour…

Yeah, we don’t have enough time. We need to redo our end-affector, or we wont stand a chance…

Yeah… We’re still trying to finish assembling the majority of our bot. The drivetrain and corresponding code have been tested – everything else probably won’t get a trial run until regionals. Somehow, of course, it’ll all be the programmers’ fault anyway.
Such is life :rolleyes:

We have programming? It has to be tested? :smiley:


Robot shipped tonight. 95% of the code is known good. (Including all the hardware routines used in autonomous.) Haven’t actually tested autonomous, but the major blockers that could appear can be fixed on other robots.

EDIT: And we started testing last … Thursday?

Today we really got most of the robot… and we still have a few buggers to work out. Luckily we’ve got a cupboard, a power outlet, and a nice long bus ride to St. Louis… a programmers dream, right? This year was the first year we really had any sensors on our robot!!!:smiley: :ahh:

This year’s programming time was better than last year.

Early in the build season, about week two or three, we had a completely functional prototype, except it was missing half the sensors.

Today, the mechanics and electronics told me I would have an entire day! But they were still sorting out wires and fastening on pieces in between the time where I got to test. I wrote code for ten minutes, downloaded it, waited half an hour before testing it and finding any errors so that a bolt could be screwed in on the arm, and rinsed, washed, and repeated the process.

Last year, 90% of the programming was done in the fixit window.

Traditionally, we have solemly respect the time-honored FIRST tradition of giving our programmers all the time they need to get the robot working (read, night before ship day).

For the first time ever, this year we broke with our sacred traditions, and were able to give our programmers a working drivetrain by late week 3. They took advantage of the time and were able to get some pretty awesome autonomous light following stuff done.

After the arm, we were actually given them most of the last 4-5 days to get the arm working. Well, “working” being when the banebot transmissions weren’t being evil. It all came together this afternoon though. We are inches away from having a working autonomous code that scores the Keeper.

Personally, I think this is a real turning point in our teams history, we’ve never managed to actually stick to a schedule before, and the things we were able to accomplish this year were fantastic.

Good luck to all you programmers with the long night ahead of you! See you in competition!


:smiley: Our programming team (myself and the two students) have joked several times that we should just not even show up until week 5.

This was a good year. We tested every single component and it’s code separately by week 4. Weeks 5 and 6 we debugged (mechanically and programming), and went to a scrimmage. Now we’re fixing the damage, adjusting, and got to spend an entire day doing nothing but tweaking our autonomous.