How high can your robot shoot?

As part off our off-season activities(messing around) we took our robot outside and finally shot it at full power for the first time ever. Previously we shot it inside at 60% power and it almost took out the roof of the school’s auditorium.

Anyone else able to top this? I’m interested. Shot - YouTube

12 Likes

Our robot can shoot around ~35 feet in the air when pointed straight up (we almost broke a fancy light in our school when we tested this)

5 Likes

I don’t know how high, but we are able to shoot a ball at least 60 feet away (maybe even 80), and it went at least 20-30 feet into the air. This was with our hood at the most extended position (shooting the flattest shot possible), and didn’t use full power on both wheels in order to optimize the trajectory to get as far as possible.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we could shoot 40-50ft in the air if we tried.

4 Likes

I don’t know that we’ve ever turned the power up to maximum. Probably it would have been considered a waste of time, since our goal was a repeating shot from every distance on the field, and we were able to do that with about 50% of maximum motor speed.

Might be fun to crank it up now, though. Sorta like when we’ve cranked the T-shirt cannons up to maximum and aimed at the house across the street, which belongs to one of our mentors.

4 Likes

Shooter motors were at 65% when shooting from the traverse bar.

6 Likes

Ours hit our shop ceiling at about 70% power, and would run at 75% power to shoot from the terminal (never ran in comp). We ran a 14:10 reduction to provide more torque to spin the shooter up faster due to high rpms being unnecessary this year.

2 Likes

Here’s a different angle with the robot flat on the ground

We never ran it above 35% [I think] in competition. This was just because we were bored.

1 Like

Not quite sure yet, we’re hitting the ceiling in the converted church we work out of: https://photos.app.goo.gl/9H8h88S3GVBXzuPD7

4 Likes

Maybe we should have a field goal competition at some of the off-season events?

11 Likes

at ~80% speed and the shallowest angle our shooter can go, our shooter hits the roof of our school’s commons (~25 ft?). We only did 100% power and a shallow angle 2 times. The first time, the ball went straight up and hit the roof with enough force to shower us with very old paint. The second time we almost hit the skylight in the roof which would have been bad. Never got to fully test how high we could go without a roof.

2 Likes

3310 > anyone else.

Hide your kids, hide your ceiling tiles.

15 Likes

620 prototype, not us but…

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VzPI-_fUClZld7CpS84uZ5F57nyne0yI/view?usp=sharing

I believe they also hit the sign above Carver field at Champs

6 Likes

The very first test of our shooter was conducted at 100% power, because that’s what ya do. The ball hit the shop ceiling (about 25-30’) with a lot of force. We never ran it again over 50% since then. I imagine cargo would fly 50-60 feet high if not a bit higher.

1 Like

In our first match at UNC Pembroke event, we accidentally picked up a red cargo just after auto. We didn’t have our eject command properly programmed and instead of just spitting it out at minimum power it shot it out at maximum for both the main and the upper flywheels. We actually hit the speaker cluster suspended over the arena (about 50’ up) and it would have gone much higher if the speakers hadn’t been in the way. I’m still surprised we didn’t get called for a foul for that, but I guess we didn’t hurt anything and the cargo never left the field (technically), so the refs didn’t think it was a problem. Here’s a clip from the match showing the shot (we’re the blue alliance bot on the near side of the field):
https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxgCsnJPtQVN1m722lNrLDs4LJBeH5IhVw

3 Likes

we ran our shooter at about 70% during a test, and it hit our shop ceiling (~40ft) with lots of force, popped one of our two cargo at the time (this was week 1.5ish in the build season) and we never ran it more than 50% again.

4003 was doing some testing on our field and they knocked down one of our blue banners (hanging from the ceiling). They must have had something against our 2020 chairman’s win :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Lunch break fun at THOR? Sounds good to me!

3 Likes

About 7.5 feet. We were a low scorer but ended up with a much stronger “shooter” than we anticipated (or needed), so we thought cranking it all the way up might allow us to put a couple shots in the high goal. Turn out the answer was no but dang we were close.

620 kid here,
that test was conducted with 2 cims in directdrive and 6 inch wheels, (and the cargo squished by a good 4 inches) we built the real shooter using neos and 4 inch wheels(with the cargo squished by a lot less). The thing could still hit the hub from anywhere in the field.

1 Like

Oh boy - got any video?

Summer challenge: launch a cargo the length of a football field using only 2022 FRC legal parts (motors, battery, control, etc)

2 Likes