How long does it take ?

Posted by mike aubry, Engineer on team #47, Chiefs, from Pontiac Central.

Posted on 4/18/99 8:41 PM MST

Hey, okay so my wife and I are talking about the long drive to Disney from Troy, Mi. (I will be leading the transportation team on this wonderful trek) and we couldn’t agree on the length of time it should take to get there. For all you married folks its probably not a big surprise that either gender could or would agree on such a topic, after all men won’t stop if they are lost and ask for directions and women - well never mind. Back to the question - she says 22 hours and I say 20 hours and worse yet one of the other drivers on the team says 18 hours! We are driving a Suburban and pulling a trailer. I might add, with an awesome robot in it, along with 10,000 other assorted things in it. So - How about a guess - I’ll time it and the closest guess gets a prize! Parking lot to parking lot - Delphi Interiors to Disney Allsports. What do you say?

Posted by Andy Baker, Engineer on team #45, TechnoKats, from Kokomo High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

Posted on 4/18/99 9:50 PM MST

In Reply to: How long does it take ? posted by mike aubry on 4/18/99 8:41 PM MST:

Good luck on your trip. If you travel past Marshall, MI, be careful.

That town still has our TechnoKats trailer from when we trucked it up
to the Great Lakes Regional. Our Truck lost a wheel in the local Chevy
dealership after we limped in from I-69. We were lucky to get outta
there alive, let alone with our spare parts and tools.

Andy B.

Posted by Mike King, Other on team #88, TJ², from Bridgewater Raynham and Johnson & Johnson Professional.

Posted on 4/19/99 9:07 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: How long does it take ? posted by Andy Baker on 4/18/99 9:50 PM MST:

Why does the town still have it?

Most of these small towns sell stuff to auctions if it isn’t claimed within a year.

Mike

: Good luck on your trip. If you travel past Marshall, MI, be careful.

: That town still has our TechnoKats trailer from when we trucked it up
: to the Great Lakes Regional. Our Truck lost a wheel in the local Chevy
: dealership after we limped in from I-69. We were lucky to get outta
: there alive, let alone with our spare parts and tools.

: Andy B.

Posted by Andy Baker, Engineer on team #45, TechnoKats, from Kokomo High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

Posted on 4/20/99 6:50 AM MST

In Reply to: Re: How long does it take ? posted by Mike King on 4/19/99 9:07 PM MST:

:Why does the town still have it?

I wasn’t being very accurate there. The trailer was just sitting
in the local Chevy dealership’s parking lot. ‘The town’ didn’t
actually have the truck… I was being a bit facetious. The truck
was being repaired, and the trailer has remained there until the
truck’s axle was fixed. Also, it took us a while to have time to go
up there (4 hours away) to get the truck and trailer.

We just got the truck and trailer back yeasterday. Hooray!

Posted by Dan, Student on team #10, BSM, from Benilde-St. Margaret’s and Banner Engineering.

Posted on 4/19/99 4:18 PM MST

In Reply to: How long does it take ? posted by mike aubry on 4/18/99 8:41 PM MST:

It took our team 30 hours of driving (including a few hours of breaks) to get to Cape Canaveral from Minnesota on a big charter bus. Your time depends on a few things I suppose:
where exactly you’re from
how many breaks you take
and how heavy your foot is.
My guess 23 hours.
:-Dan

Posted by “MOE”, Coach on team #88, TJ2, from Bridgewater-Raynham Reg. High School and Johnson & Johnson .

Posted on 4/20/99 10:14 AM MST

:
: Hey, okay so my wife and I are talking about the long drive to Disney from Troy, Mi. (I will be leading the transportation team on this wonderful trek) and we couldn’t agree on the length of time it should take to get there. For all you married folks its probably not a big surprise that either gender could or would agree on such a topic, after all men won’t stop if they are lost and ask for directions and women - well never mind. Back to the question - she says 22 hours and I say 20 hours and worse yet one of the other drivers on the team says 18 hours! We are driving a Suburban and pulling a trailer. I might add, with an awesome robot in it, along with 10,000 other assorted things in it. So - How about a guess - I’ll time it and the closest guess gets a prize! Parking lot to parking lot - Delphi Interiors to Disney Allsports. What do you say?

HELLooooooooo MIKE
Well looks like you have your work cut out for you.
Good luck on the trip, if you stop at all the stop
sign and follow all the road rules and do not push
the truck to hard ‘remember you must drive this
truck home’ when all is done with the FIRST event
at WDW. I would say that you will have to go about
1250 mi. but this is hard for me to take this test
because I DID NOT STUDY FOR IT, and have never been
to the great state MI. So I will give you my best shot
at the time it will take you and CHIEF DELPHI to
get to FL at WDW. Should be about???

23 hr 47 mi

GOOD LUCK and SEE YOU and TEAM 47 SOON
MOE TEAM #88

Posted by Mike Kulibaba, Student on team #88, TJ², from Bridgewater-Raynham Regional and Johnson and Johnson.

Posted on 4/20/99 3:11 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: How long does it take ? posted by on 4/20/99 10:14 AM MST:

: 23 hr 47 mi
: GOOD LUCK and SEE YOU and TEAM 47 SOON
: MOE TEAM #88

Once again I would have to agree with MOE. I think that time sounds just about right. I will see you all in a couple days

Kuli TJ²

Posted by Sean Kim, Student on team #115 from Monta Vista High School.

Posted on 4/20/99 12:56 PM MST

Maybe I am off the subject…
But why are you carrying your robot yourself?

Wasn’t it supposed to be shipped already?

Just curious.

Sean

Posted by Joe Johnson, Engineer on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

Posted on 4/20/99 8:10 PM MST

In Reply to: Re: How long does it take ? posted by Sean Kim on 4/20/99 12:56 PM MST:

The robot has been out of our hands since the Tuesday after the Great Lakes Regional.

FIRST is very flexible as to what it takes to meet the ‘out of our hands’ requirement, provided that you run things by them first of course.

In our case, we have a lockable crate that one of our local competitors locks for us. When we get to the competition on Thursday, we get our box unlocked.

Of course, we only get the crate unlocked if everthing goes according to plan…

For one reason or another, we have had to cut the lock off our crate 2 or 3 times in 2 years.

I think that Delphi Delco had to cut off their lock in the pits in Ypsi as I recall.

Anyway, that explains why our robot will be arriving with some of our engineers, even though it has been ‘out of our hands’ for going on 4 weeks now.

Joe J.

P.S. If the drive team takes more than 19 hours I will be shocked! FYI they left the Delphi parking lot at 1401 Crooks Road, Troy, MI 48084 at about 5 minutes to 3pm EDT on Tuesday, April 20.

My guess is that they will roll into the All-Star Parking lot about 10am on Weds. April 21. Look for a green Suburan pulling a black trailer.

Posted by Bethany Dunning, Coach on team #163, Quantum Mechanics, from International Academy and Quantum Consultants/EATON/ITT Industries.

Posted on 4/21/99 6:36 AM MST

In Reply to: Out of our hands… posted by Joe Johnson on 4/20/99 8:10 PM MST:

Don’t worry Joe - I still remember the combination. It’s - oh, wait. Forget that. :slight_smile:
Bethany

: Of course, we only get the crate unlocked if everthing goes according to plan…

: For one reason or another, we have had to cut the lock off our crate 2 or 3 times in 2 years.

: I think that Delphi Delco had to cut off their lock in the pits in Ypsi as I recall.

Posted by Mike McIntyre, Coach on team #47 from Pontiac Central HS.

Posted on 4/20/99 10:07 PM MST

It should take about 23 hours but I’ve seen you drive, Mike, so I’ll make my official guess 20 hour, 12 minutes.
:
: Hey, okay so my wife and I are talking about the long drive to Disney from Troy, Mi. (I will be leading the transportation team on this wonderful trek) and we couldn’t agree on the length of time it should take to get there. For all you married folks its probably not a big surprise that either gender could or would agree on such a topic, after all men won’t stop if they are lost and ask for directions and women - well never mind. Back to the question - she says 22 hours and I say 20 hours and worse yet one of the other drivers on the team says 18 hours! We are driving a Suburban and pulling a trailer. I might add, with an awesome robot in it, along with 10,000 other assorted things in it. So - How about a guess - I’ll time it and the closest guess gets a prize! Parking lot to parking lot - Delphi Interiors to Disney Allsports. What do you say?

Posted by Joe Johnson, Engineer on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

Posted on 4/22/99 5:37 PM MST

The word from Mike is that they pulled into the All-Star parking lot at 10:30am on the 21st.

They left at 3:00pm on the 20th (Note that I had previously reported that they left at 2:55pm, but Mike tells me that that was when they rolled away from the garage in the back of our building. Unknown to me, they made a 5 minute pit stop to pick up another driver in the front parking lot).

So… 19 hours and 30 minutes from parking lot to parking lot.

Not too shabby considering that they tell me they made a 45 minute breakfast stop on Tuesday morning!

Hope all is going well in FL.

Joe J.