How often does your team check wires?

wiring

We are a young team and just started using ferrules and doing POE and double powering when we can. We haven’t been DC’d this year but I’m curious to how often do other teams check and pull on the wires before every round to make sure a ferrule hasn’t came loose?

0 Likes

We check all wires and do a full systems check before every match while also charging our pneumatics system. It’s always best to be careful to make sure you are running at full strength every match.

12 Likes

This is definitely best practice but we only do it when something goes wrong… or at the request of drive team.

And of course after every unbag.

0 Likes

That’s a bad idea.

We run full systems test and tug tests every match.

1 Like

Before every match.

1 Like

I would check them after matches. But, there got to a point during the competition that the plastic on the ferrules started loosening other ferrules, so I cut the plastic off, and eventually cut the rest of the ferrule and started over without them.

0 Likes

Yeah, now that others have brought it up, it really makes us think. The main reason we dont is because of our wiring. Its messy and gets planned after the mechanically built robot.

0 Likes

This is also a bad idea. Electrical boards can be planned way ahead of time and some components can be incorporated while you design the robot.

2 Likes

We need some 254 electrical planner help :joy:

But seriously. Every year i look forward to seeing their robot, with knowledge that their electrical components are hidden from sight.

1 Like

As much as I love the wiring of top teams you really don’t need look far to find good wiring.

1 Like

This isn’t the best approach for keeping things from going wrong.

1 Like

Ok, i think the “reply to user” feature isnt working for me. I meant what Rangel said was the best approach, then what we do.

0 Likes

First, your electrical team needs to establish how many square inches of panel space will be required. Some part of it will be constant (Roborio, PDP, VRM, wiring channels). Add on space all the extras such as motor controllers, PCM’s pneumatic solenoids and more wiring channels based on the desired robot features. Add on an amount for expansion i.e. extra motor controllers.

Next, your electrical team needs to get involved in the layout of the robot right from the beginning, and demand that the space determined above for the control system in a place that is accessible and visible for servicing and inspection and reserve a space for the battery and main breaker that is easily accessible. They will also have to stay incolved to ensure that as the design progresses, the space is not reduced or blocked off.

If you don’t demand this space, it is likely that you will get an inadequate bunch of spaces that are not of useful sizes in places that are non-optimal.

0 Likes

As someone electrically ignorant, why before? Wouldnt it make more sense post-match, instead of finding out a wire is loose by pulling it out moments before its on the field for a match?

0 Likes

Huh?

You check if it’s loose and fix it… This shouldn’t take much time at all.

1 Like

The one year i helped with wiring, it took a bit longer than just a few seconds. Granted, this was back with the Crio and its PDP, but they dont look that different…

0 Likes

Everytime all the time

0 Likes

There’s a distinct but important line between fixing items that aren’t broken, and fixing things to ideal state. We do a full systems check (if we follow our checklist) before each match ensuring we’re in tip-top shape. This year we diverged from it and suffered massive process failures at competition as a result, but towards the end of our season when we checked two and three times before each match, hit the practice field, you name it, we were doing pretty well.

In short: Every match, but especially if something might actually be broken. Preventative maintenance beats a lost match (or event.)

1 Like

Ferrules are the best! We have gone 5 years with out them but now we are switching over completely!

0 Likes

I treat it the same way I treat all other preventative maintenance - for example every shaft collar is checked each match, all critical bolts (even with nyloc) are visually inspected.

I can happily say it led to a season with 0 on field comms, electrical, or mechanical failures caused by us. For a robot and team like ours, displaying 0 issues during quals is critical so we go a little overboard on checks.

0 Likes