How to Vent a Compressor

pneumatics
compressor
java

How would I go about venting a compressor in java?

Thanks!

Oh boy, you’re going to have to be a lot more specific there, bud.

Sure thing. When I say vent, I mean open and close the valve that releases the air from the compressor

Would it be accurate to say your question is “How do I trigger a pneumatic solenoid using Java?”

(The things with the buttons for manual switching that usually go between air tanks and a piston, and have wires sticking out the side)

The first thing I think of when I hear “how do I vent a compressor” is that you’re trying to flip the emergency release valve, which isn’t a thing you can do.

I mean, you can, but it’s probably not a good idea while the robot is running.

OP, you’ll want to read the pneumatics rules to see what you’re supposed to do in order to safely vent the air from your system.

Can you programatically? Admittedly I’ve been corrected with pneumatics before, but to my knowledge both the emergency pressure release valve (brass knobby thing that trips at 125) and the release valve that the team uses to purge their system after each match are purely analog systems; they don’t even have any wires. My programmers get uppity when I tell them to control literally wireless systems.

I don’t think you can access the emergency release valve with code. That’s a manual function that should happen after each match.

Ok, Thanks for letting me know.

Yeah the basic way valves generally work is that there’s a spring and at a certain pressure it gets pushed and opens up the system letting air out until it closes

If you really want to vent the system with code you could have a solenoid and plug up 1 side and when you push a button it switches over to the open one to vent the system.

1. Turn off compressor in code.
  2. Trigger solenoid that is just open to atmosphere on outlet side.
  3. Celebrate?

Yup. It also works great as a way to jump up to the level 3 hab.

If you didn’t want to use an extra solenoid valve, you could just cycle one of your existing valves (open and close a cylinder repeatedly), disabling the code that starts the compressor automatically when the pressure drops. Every cycle will lower your tank pressure. But this is a somewhat complex solution. I recommend using an additional solenoid valve with one port vented to the atmosphere.

Alternatively if you really wanted to do it problematically, a well mounted servo motor on a secondary main pressure relief valve should do. You’d have to have a secondary one as there needs to be one easily accessible one, and it’s not so with a servo mounted on top. Of course, if the servo could actually turn any of the allowable valves is another question

A servo turning a pneumatic vent plug/valve would run afoul of R84 if the LRI considered the combination of the servo and the valve to be a single “item”. (Note that the rule does not specify COMPONENT or MECHANISM, so item could be interpreted to be either.) If the combination is allowed (as I expect it would be), you could still do this with a single vent plug if the servo opened the plug with a one-way linkage (e.g. a piece of string) which did not inhibit opening the plug manually.

Still, the better solution IMO is a double solenoid valve (so it won’t close when the air pressure drops below the piloting threshold), possibly in conjunction with a quick exhaust valve. To be legal, this would have to be on the regulated/working pressure side of the primary regulator.