How to wire pneumatics

Hi
Is there anybody who could tell me how to wire the compressor or solenoid valve?
Thanks

First off I would say to read the manual, they outline it very extensively. Use a spike to the valve and use a spike for the compressor. Use the pressure valve into one of the digital inputs and have the rest done in programming.

First, the compressor will be wired into a spike. Next, the nason pressure switch will wire into a digital I/O on the sidecar. The solenoids plug directly into the Pneumatics bumper which should be located on slot 7 on the cRio

remember to swap the 20 amp fuse for a 20 amp breaker, otherwise, you’ll find yourselves running through fuses like popcorn…

that’s what happens then FIRST requires you to run a 40amp compressor through a 20amp fuse…

it’s not a problem during competition matches, but if you ever have the compressor running more than once in a period of five to ten minutes, it’ll pop the fuse… however, oddly enough, the breakers don’t seem to have the same problem…

remember, the pressure switch is on-off, and does NOT tell you the pressure in PSI…

the way we (mechanical pandas) explained it to the control team is that, if poer can flow through the pressure switch, turn on the compressor, if power can’t flow, turn it off…

i know, you’re probably asking “why dont we just run the compressor directly through the pressure switch” well, it’s because FIRST says so…

I added the emphasis…

-Z

Z,
The compressor has a start current of 25 amps and run current of 12 max.

really? we measured it at 40 when it was getting close to 110 psi… or if it had to run for more then 30 seconds at a time…

also, we popped several 20 amp fuses, which shouldn’t have popped if it only went to 25 at start-up.

-Z

Um…25 is greater than 20. A 20 amp fuse is supposed to blow in that case.

What did you use to measure that current? It sounds like something was wrong with your compressor. A rising current with heat could be an indication of damaged internal wiring. Also, this pump does get hot when running in the wrong direction and it does build pressure but very ineffeciently.

[Q[QUOTE=Alan Anderson;818604]Um…25 is greater than 20. A 20 amp fuse is supposed to blow in that case.

usually, it’ll take a second or two of high amperage for these fuses to blow…

we checked everything, and it’s fine, the compressors we’ve used for the past 3 years have all done it too…

i don’t know why, and we’ve never had any issues…

-Z

This is about right, at 25A a 20A fuse will likely take a second or two to blow. The Snap-Action breakers on the other hand take a minimum of 6 seconds and potentially much, much longer to trip at that level. The testing spec for the breakers is to trip in under ten minutes at 135% of rated current.

If your compressor was actually drawing 40A your 20A breaker should have lasted about 2.5-6 seconds before tripping.