HS seniors, where are you all gonna be?

Posted by Chris Orimoto at 04/10/2001 9:08 PM EST

Student on team #368, Kika Mana, from McKinley High School and Nasa Ames/Hawaiian Electric/Weinberg Foundation.

Hey all,
I was just a little curious about all the high school seniors that post on the forum…where are you all going to be next year? Are you planning on continuing with FIRST?

I myself will probably end up at the University of Washington. I would like to either start up a team in that area or join an existing team. Anyone else going there, you can IM me…my AIM screen name is “Rookie057”. Or you can e-mail me at:
[email protected]

Thanks to all…

Chris, #368

Posted by Bill Gold at 04/10/2001 9:45 PM EST

Student on team #258, The Sea Dawgs, from Lincoln High and KPC&B, Applied Materials, SJUSD, and Mr. Stokely.

In Reply to: HS seniors, where are you all gonna be?
Posted by Chris Orimoto on 04/10/2001 9:08 PM EST:

Just joking Chris :slight_smile:

I’m hoping to go to San Jose State, and if I’m lucky I’ll be able to help my fellow Sea Dawgs :slight_smile:

Bill, 258

: Hey all,
: I was just a little curious about all the high school seniors that post on the forum…where are you all going to be next year? Are you planning on continuing with FIRST?

: I myself will probably end up at the University of Washington. I would like to either start up a team in that area or join an existing team. Anyone else going there, you can IM me…my AIM screen name is “Rookie057”. Or you can e-mail me at:
: [email protected]

: Thanks to all…

: Chris, #368

Posted by Chris Orimoto at 04/10/2001 10:22 PM EST

Student on team #368, Kika Mana, from McKinley High School and Nasa Ames/Hawaiian Electric/Weinberg Foundation.

In Reply to: and from out of nowhere Chris goes on a posting binge…
Posted by Bill Gold on 04/10/2001 9:45 PM EST:

Hey Bill, I think the proper term for it is “recovering from posting withdrawl”. With all you guys enjoying yourselves and having probably the BEST times of your lives in Florida, I was stuck sitting at my computer in Hawaii, with no one to talk to, no one posting on Chiefdelphi.

How sad can a FIRST student get???

Chris, #368

Posted by Bill Gold at 04/10/2001 10:30 PM EST

Student on team #258, The Sea Dawgs, from Lincoln High and KPC&B, Applied Materials, SJUSD, and Mr. Stokely.

In Reply to: Re: and from out of nowhere Chris goes on a posting binge…
Posted by Chris Orimoto on 04/10/2001 10:22 PM EST:

Chris,
I had a good time in Florida, but I wish I could have worked up enough nerve to actually say something to Dr. Joe. Oh well, I guess I have something to work on :slight_smile: But I did miss checking chiefdelphi my usual 7-10 times per day. Hopefully next yearf you’ll be at Nat’s instead of watching the webcast. Later Chris.

Bill, 258

: Hey Bill, I think the proper term for it is “recovering from posting withdrawl”. With all you guys enjoying yourselves and having probably the BEST times of your lives in Florida, I was stuck sitting at my computer in Hawaii, with no one to talk to, no one posting on Chiefdelphi.

: How sad can a FIRST student get???

Posted by Chris Orimoto at 04/10/2001 10:37 PM EST

In Reply to: Re: and from out of nowhere Chris goes on a posting binge…
Posted by Bill Gold on 04/10/2001 10:30 PM EST:

Hey Bill,
Well, that’s good to hear…I’m so jealous though…you got to see Dr. Joe in person. I doubt I’ll get that honor, even with my team next year. Maybe one of these days…when FIRST somehow decides to make regionals a qualification for Nats, then pays the way for teams to go (but then I woke up)…

Hey maybe you can come up to Washington next year and you and me can make our own team up there. Maybe we’ll find some weird name for it like:
Chris-ply Bill-t (“Crisply Built”) lol
Then we can recuit other high school kids and teach them how to post on Chiefdelphi in “binges”. But then again, school boards might have us arrested for introducing addictive material into the system.

Oh well, I anxiously look forward to next year, while realizing that there is still much work to be done this year…

Chris, #368

PS: I think the Hawaiian heat is getting to me…

Posted by Bill Gold at 04/10/2001 10:51 PM EST

In Reply to: The “binge” continues…
Posted by Chris Orimoto on 04/10/2001 10:37 PM EST:

Chris,
If I could get up to Washington for the 6 weeks+ I’d definately go for it. I think we could start a ■■■■■■■ team, but we gotta work on the name a little :slight_smile: Andy Baker said that the TechnoKats were interested in going to the Seattle Regional next year, maybe ChiefDelphi will follow suit so you can meet Dr. Joe. If we start a team we gotta get Ashlee in on it, or it wouldn’t be a Washington Robotics Team. Talk to you later Chris.

Bill, 258

PS- If anyone from team 360 is reading this, can you please email me with the number of Sea Dawgs shirts you guys want. and if you want names embroidered. thanks.

: Hey Bill,
: Well, that’s good to hear…I’m so jealous though…you got to see Dr. Joe in person. I doubt I’ll get that honor, even with my team next year. Maybe one of these days…when FIRST somehow decides to make regionals a qualification for Nats, then pays the way for teams to go (but then I woke up)…

: Hey maybe you can come up to Washington next year and you and me can make our own team up there. Maybe we’ll find some weird name for it like:
: Chris-ply Bill-t (“Crisply Built”) lol
: Then we can recuit other high school kids and teach them how to post on Chiefdelphi in “binges”. But then again, school boards might have us arrested for introducing addictive material into the system.

: Oh well, I anxiously look forward to next year, while realizing that there is still much work to be done this year…

: PS: I think the Hawaiian heat is getting to me…

Posted by Chris Orimoto at 04/10/2001 10:57 PM EST

In Reply to: our binge doesn’t get us in jail, like Daryll Strawberry :slight_smile:
Posted by Bill Gold on 04/10/2001 10:51 PM EST:

Dude yah…Ashlee’s definitely cool. I heard about a Seattle regional next year but never got confirmation. I guess it’s on then! That’s GREAT…I don’t have to travel far to see FIRST. From what I heard, it’s probably going to be held at UW too. Maybe you should get your team to come up for one week, and I’ll get mine to go down to San Jose for another. I’m hoping to continue some kind of work for McKinley too, so maybe we call all collaborate on something…That would be SWEET!

I think this is one of my most positive experiences from FIRST…being able to meet new people from all aruond the USA (something a little hard to do when you’re stranded out in the middle of the ocean).

And who knows, maybe all of us “Chiefdelphi Posting Bingers” will end up working for FIRST in years to come. (I get dibs on Jason Morella’s job!)

Chris, #368

Posted by Bill Gold at 04/10/2001 11:09 PM EST

In Reply to: Re: But it DOES result in cruel and unusual punishment
Posted by Chris Orimoto on 04/10/2001 10:57 PM EST:

I love Seattle, I’m up for visiting for a week… or six. If you wanna visit San Jose for a week or so you can stay at my place. I’m pretty sure there’s gonna be a Seattle Regional next year, and if it’s before the Silicon Valley Regional then my team (258) will be there. I think the best part of FIRST is that I get to meet people from all over the country… I mean… where else would a California guy like me be able to flirt with girls from Michigan, Washington, Hawaii, Conecticut and some other states? That’s not why I’m on a robotics team, but it’s fun too :slight_smile:

I made tons of friends in LA, SJ, and FL. I wouldn’t give that up for the world. FIRST rulez!

Later all,
Bill, 258

Chris- Ashlee is awesome.

: Dude yah…Ashlee’s definitely cool. I heard about a Seattle regional next year but never got confirmation. I guess it’s on then! That’s GREAT…I don’t have to travel far to see FIRST. From what I heard, it’s probably going to be held at UW too. Maybe you should get your team to come up for one week, and I’ll get mine to go down to San Jose for another. I’m hoping to continue some kind of work for McKinley too, so maybe we call all collaborate on something…That would be SWEET!

: I think this is one of my most positive experiences from FIRST…being able to meet new people from all aruond the USA (something a little hard to do when you’re stranded out in the middle of the ocean).

: And who knows, maybe all of us “Chiefdelphi Posting Bingers” will end up working for FIRST in years to come. (I get dibs on Jason Morella’s job!)

Posted by Chris Orimoto at 04/10/2001 11:15 PM EST

In Reply to: Re: cruel and unusual punishment
Posted by Bill Gold on 04/10/2001 11:09 PM EST:

Oh, another thing…depending on what regionals you and I end up at, do you wanna plan on some sort of pre-event get-together or something? I know it’s a little early, but something like that would be really good for our teams.
In fact, maybe we should get in contact with ALL the other c/o 2001 FIRST mentors (college freshman from our graduating class that start up teams) and form some kind of ring. Maybe we can have an entire “club” or something cool like that.
Personally, I would like to be able to have another college student to work with in my area, but it’s not 100% necessary.
Oh well, just wild thoughts for now…

Chris, #368

Thinking he’s getting a little too excited…it’s one year away…

Posted by Bill Gold at 04/10/2001 11:28 PM EST

Posted by Chris Orimoto on 04/10/2001 11:15 PM EST:

Chris,
We’re definately gonna have a pre-event get together. If you’re gonna be going to the SV Regional, GRT has an awesome party throwing facility. I’m up for sharing info/strategy/etc also. I can’t believe that the 2001 season is over… it seems like only yesterday I woke up at 4am to drive to NASA Ames to watch the kickoff live… ug… I guess I have to wait another 8 months. Way too much down time. At least I can still read posts on ChiefDelphi.

Later all,
Bill, 258

: Oh, another thing…depending on what regionals you and I end up at, do you wanna plan on some sort of pre-event get-together or something? I know it’s a little early, but something like that would be really good for our teams.
: In fact, maybe we should get in contact with ALL the other c/o 2001 FIRST mentors (college freshman from our graduating class that start up teams) and form some kind of ring. Maybe we can have an entire “club” or something cool like that.
: Personally, I would like to be able to have another college student to work with in my area, but it’s not 100% necessary.
: Oh well, just wild thoughts for now…

: Thinking he’s getting a little too excited…it’s one year away…

Posted by Chris Orimoto at 04/10/2001 11:34 PM EST

Posted by Bill Gold on 04/10/2001 11:28 PM EST:

Well to pass the time, you could always begin work on your next team…I’m trying right now, but it’s a lot harder than it seems.
I still remember coming into this program as a junior, during my team’s rookie year. I couldn’t see how these people could get so excited over a robotics competition. And now look at me…I’m completely hooked! Well, as my obsessive-compulsive disorder begins to wear off as the season has finally ended, I guess all that’s left is to begin work once again.

Starting a team from scratch isn’t exactly an easy task. I predict much work and stress…and FUN too! It’ll definitely be interesting to see what comes out of this.

Chris, #368

Posted by JVN at 04/10/2001 9:45 PM EST

Student on team #250, Dynamos - Capital District Robotics Team, from Shenendehowa High School and General Electric and Verizon.

I’ll be attending Clarkson University. I’ll see all you guys as a proud member of team 229. I can’t wait to go up against 250…

~JVN

Posted by Shannon at 04/12/2001 6:28 PM EST

Student on team #250, Dynamos , from Colonie High.

In Reply to: Clarkson University
Posted by JVN on 04/10/2001 9:45 PM EST:

oh thanks john, just leave us…you know you’re gonna miss the colonie girls!

~Shannon~
team 250

: I’ll be attending Clarkson University. I’ll see all you guys as a proud member of team 229. I can’t wait to go up against 250…

: ~JVN

Posted by Lora Knepper at 04/10/2001 10:18 PM EST

Other on team #177, Bobcat Robotics - Adoptee, from South Windsor High School and International Fuel Cells.

In about 5 months I will be off to the Rochester Institute of Technology…I will definately stay active with FIRST somehow – not entirely sure if I’ll be with team 73, or something like I did this year…only time will tell!

~ lora
FIRST-a-holic for LIFE

Posted by Chris Hardman at 04/10/2001 10:57 PM EST

Student on team #111, WILDSTANG, from Rolling Meadows and Wheeling High schools and motorola.

: I was just a little curious about all the high school seniors that post on the forum…where are you all going to be next year? Are you planning on continuing with FIRST?

: I myself will probably end up at the University of Washington. I would like to either start up a team in that area or join an existing team. Anyone else going there, you can IM me…my AIM screen name is “Rookie057”. Or you can e-mail me at:

Posted by Dan Baker at 04/11/2001 1:04 PM EST

Student on team #365, Miracle Workerz, from Avon Grove High School and Dupont .

I plan on attending the University of Massachusetts - Amherst school next year. Hopefully I’ll be able to get a first team up and going.
-Dan Baker
Team 365
GO MOE!!

Posted by Jessica Boucher at 04/11/2001 2:48 PM EST

Student on team #237, Sie-H2O-Bots, from Watertown High School and Eastern Awning Systems & The Siemon Company.

…for a mix of International Business Administration and Entrepreneurship.

Plus, I just met a person that is going to Babson that was on Texas BEST that is interested in FIRST…and since Babson is affiliated with Olin College of Engineering, I think that I might have a way down to FL if I play my cards right.

No, Im not starting a team (yet :wink: ), but Babson is known for your 2nd semester in college for giving you $3K to start a business that has to give all its profit to a local non-profit…so, all you Boston-based teams, make sure you’ve got your non-profit status ready :wink:

-Jessica B, #237

Posted by bill whitley at 04/11/2001 3:28 PM EST

Student on team #70, Auto City Bandits, from Powers Catholic High School and Kettering University.

Posted by Carolyn Duncan at 04/11/2001 5:12 PM EST

Student on team #495, The Pack, from Jamestown High School and VBEP/Raytheon/Saic.

I am stuck between Florida tech and UNC Wilmington. If I go to Wilmington I’ll have to start a team up,I think, if I got to tech there’s already a team, again I think. I want to go into marine bio but I know I won’t ever be able to get away from FIRST, not a bad thing. I don’t know if I have the ability to be on a rookie team again though. We’ll see what happens. Anyone got any imput? I’m looking for suggestions.
:Carolyn
Team 495

Posted by Billy Mallard at 04/11/2001 8:32 PM EST

Student on team #254, the Cheesy Poofs, from Bellarmine College Prep and NASA.

I can’t decide between a free ride to Boston University where i guess i could join the Nu-trons, or a pay-my-way deal with UC Berkeley, where it might be possible to start a team with one of my best friends from my current team (and possibly Ken Leung?).

I’m at the point where i’m just gonna wait and see which confirmation deadline i miss first.

–> Billy