I need your opinion, please

Posted by Jessica Boucher at 05/17/2001 8:22 PM EST

Student on team #237, Sie-H2O-Bots, from Watertown High School and Eastern Awning Systems & The Siemon Company.

Hey everyone…just a random question…how does your team feel about you talking on these boards? Are you the only one on your team who talks?

How about knowing people from other teams? How do they feel about that?

Sorry, people, its just been bugging me for a while and I just wanted to know.

-Jessica B

Posted by mike oleary at 05/17/2001 8:43 PM EST

Engineer on team #419, rambots, from bc high and…oh wait just bc high and hmmm…sponsors…thats a good idea.

In Reply to: I need your opinion, please
Posted by Jessica Boucher on 05/17/2001 8:22 PM EST:

well…basically the rambots who work on the robot and know about the robot and stuff like that (not florida club) all post on cd…and as far as knowing people from other teams…well in florida nobody seemed to have anyproblems with the people from our team who spent pretty much the whole week with other teams

: Hey everyone…just a random question…how does your team feel about you talking on these boards? Are you the only one on your team who talks?

: How about knowing people from other teams? How do they feel about that?

: Sorry, people, its just been bugging me for a while and I just wanted to know.

: -Jessica B

Posted by colleen - T190 at 05/17/2001 8:47 PM EST

Engineer on team #190, Gompei, from Massachusetts Academy of Math and Science and WPI.

I don’t think they mind… it’s mostly us old college kids that do the talking for T190… and yeah, sometimes we have big mouths, but we talk to share our ‘expertise’ since we’re all pretty much 3+ years of FIRST, and we have the joy of being on a 10-year anniversary team.

As for knowing lots of folks from other teams, it’s beneficial when it comes to talking strategy w/ other teams, borrowing needed tools/parts, etc… (although found that in coaching, it’s still age that talks over experience a lot). Sometimes it can be a distration from people doing their jobs, but it’s usually all beneficial…

:slight_smile:

Posted by Carolyn Duncan at 05/18/2001 7:48 AM EST

Student on team #495, The Pack, from Jamestown High School and VBEP/Raytheon/Saic.

Team 495 is not a very large team, 5 students. I am the only person on the team who posts. No body else is really interested. I relay things I read that I think are important and some people get a bit disgruntled. I am also the person on the team who wasn’t with the team very much because I was hanging out with other people I had met. Some of the mentors on the team did not like the fact that I was with other teams and that other teams came to the pit looking for me. This caused many problems between myself and some of the mentors. The students joke around and say No friends allowed.
C-ya,
Carolyn

Posted by nick237 at 05/18/2001 7:00 PM EST

Engineer on team #237, sie h2o bots, from Watertown high school ct and sieman co.

In Reply to: Sore subject
Posted by Carolyn Duncan on 05/18/2001 7:48 AM EST:

Carolyn. Thats one of the saddest things I have read on this Forum. I think your whole team has missed the idea of FIRST and because you " get it" they object to your friendlyness and open minded nature.
Our team was always thrilled when some one came to visit us, It meant that one or more of our students had made an impact on some ones life and that the need to visit showed they wanted more.
The loss of this comraderie is your team mates loss, so dont feel bad because of the way you are, your doing nothing wrong. Remember this the next time you have a conflab with a Mentor, the first four letters in Mentor is the same first four letters in “MENTAL”. :wink:
nick237
A mentor not like the rest… Im just plain NUTS.
YOUR WELCOME IN OUR PIT ANY TIME.

: Team 495 is not a very large team, 5 students. I am the only person on the team who posts. No body else is really interested. I relay things I read that I think are important and some people get a bit disgruntled. I am also the person on the team who wasn’t with the team very much because I was hanging out with other people I had met. Some of the mentors on the team did not like the fact that I was with other teams and that other teams came to the pit looking for me. This caused many problems between myself and some of the mentors. The students joke around and say No friends allowed.
: C-ya,
: Carolyn

Posted by Carolyn Duncan at 05/21/2001 4:03 PM EST

Student on team #495, The Pack, from Jamestown High School and VBEP/Raytheon/Saic.

In Reply to: Re: Sore subject, Very sad…
Posted by nick237 on 05/18/2001 7:00 PM EST:

: A mentor not like the rest… Im just plain NUTS.
: YOUR WELCOME IN OUR PIT ANY TIME.

I would love to visit you all next year! That is of course if I can find a way to nats. If anything you’ll hear from me regularly on the forum. Thanks for being cool mnetors,though I don’t know you I can just tell you’re cool!
C-ya,
Carolyn

Posted by Al Skierkiewicz at 05/19/2001 4:34 PM EST

Engineer on team #111, Wildstang, from Wheeling High & Rolling Meadows High and Motorola.

In Reply to: Sore subject
Posted by Carolyn Duncan on 05/18/2001 7:48 AM EST:

I am very sorry your team feels this way. At competition we want our students to visit as many pits as possible. This is a way for them to learn that there is no “right way” to do things. Many of our best ideas come from seeing many different ideas and forming them into a single response. I am sorry that I can’t get out to see many of you at competitions. Even old friends were being staged when I had free time or we were competing when they were free. Just more of a chance to meet new friends. The best part of this competition is going out and meeting rookies and seeing how well they have done their first year.(you have to admit there are some spectacular rookie teams!)
The next time we are in a competition together, look us up in the pits. I would love to come and see your robot and talk with your team.
Al

Posted by Gui Cavalcanti at 05/18/2001 4:22 PM EST

Student on team #422, Mech Tech, from Governor’s School (GSGIS) and Verizon.

Jessica,
I’m pretty much the only guy that posts on Delphi, with rare exceptions (when the other programmer on our team has time enough). Nobody really cares, and some even appreciae me getting help for us and helpful hints from the Delphi boards. Then again, some people tune out when I say “forum”, so hey.

-Gui Cavalcanti

Posted by Mimi Brown at 05/18/2001 10:58 PM EST

Student on team #128, The Botcats, from Grandview Heights High School.

I’m pretty sure im the only member of my team that posts (& not much at that!), and I usually pass along all the info to my team. Everyone on our team made friends with other team members at the competitions though

~Mimi Brown
Team 128 the Botcats

Posted by Pamela at 05/19/2001 11:36 AM EST

Student on team #166, Techno Insanity, from Merrimack High School and Texas Instruments.

I’m the only one on my team who posts on Chief Delphi, therefore I relay the information I see on this page to my team if I deem it to be important to us. I believe it is a great way to recieve and send information to many teams at one time. I know people from other teams and my team thinks it is cool, most of the people I know are on one team though because we practice with them all FIRST season. My team likes to know people on other teams because then we know we have someone to turn to when we need assitance (we have no engineers on our team).
~Pamela 166

Posted by Christina Alzona at 05/19/2001 4:13 PM EST

College Student on team #271, Mechanical Marauders, from Bay Shore High School and Verizon.

As far as I’m aware of, it’s just Michael and I who post. But I do think a couple of other people from my team reads the forum. Okay…maybe one other…maybe. But my team was always welcoming information from the forum. As far as meeting new people, I’ve met a lot of people here and I’m glad I did. I think this forum was a great idea, and I’m very happy that I met the people that I have through this board.

~Christina ºoº

Posted by Erin at 05/20/2001 8:15 PM EST

College Student on team #65, Huskie Brigade, from Pontiac Northern High School and GM Powertrain.

I know a lot of people who come to this board for the first time and see it as a struggle rather than an obsession- some people have a hard time keeping up with the fast-paced posting action, and many don’t want to write unless they know they will receive response (as a sign of approval). Or, for any other reason, they just don’t post.
I was the only person who posted for either of my teams that was under 20 (Ken Patton is the other poster from team 65). I know that some of the things I have said or done in the past have caused problems with students or mentors on my old team, and through their guidance I watch over my actions more carefully as to prevent any offense whatsoever. Some people tease me because I am always going here, or because I have made friends through this. Some people laughed when other team members would randomly come up and talk to me even though they were from halfway across the country. But the coolest thing about the Huskie Brigade students is that they don’t need the forums to do that- they just go out there, be themselves, and attract friendly people on their own because they are all wonderful kids. I guess the forum is just my way of making friends, and luckily, they understand.

-Erin