I see teams use these monitors but I no idea what they are

The poofs use these little monitors that pop up behind their laptop and I would like to know what they are. Any ideas?

1 Like

They are DLSR camera external view monitors.

such as https://www.amazon.com/Lilliput-Full-Monitor-Camera-Assist/dp/B074SGNC2X/ref=pd_sbs_147_t_0/145-3196230-2670359?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B074SGNC2X&pd_rd_r=8dde1cad-f126-47a3-b4d5-db6a840f74ed&pd_rd_w=ZUOcF&pd_rd_wg=T7mLf&pf_rd_p=5cfcfe89-300f-47d2-b1ad-a4e27203a02a&pf_rd_r=TVF6RXSXHVQ3HERKVXW3&psc=1&refRID=TVF6RXSXHVQ3HERKVXW3

1 Like

They are small HDMI monitors. You can find them on Amazon and similar sites (search for 7" HDMI monitor or similar) for anywhere from $50-$150. They’re hooked to the laptop to show camera video feeds or similar information in a closer line of sight to the drivers’ view than the laptop screen.

1 Like

Can anyone who’s had the opportunity to use these in competition settings comment on their helpfulness? And are there any drawbacks, other then price? I would worry about line of sight obstructions.

I used one of these for the camera view in 2017. I don’t remember it affecting my direct view of the field very much, as long as the screen wasn’t too tall. They are fairly small, so it is easy to look around if it is necessary, but I had is set up so that I looked down at the monitor, and my straight ahead view was not blocked. Overall, it was quite useful, as it reduced the time it took to look at the camera, so it was easier to switch between looking at the camera and looking at the robot.

Would you say that it reduced the number of dropped gears per match? If so, by how much. How much would you say it increased your cycle time?

How difficult were they to stream your cameras from your driver station?

I don’t remember exact details, but it mostly helped with reducing the time required to line up with the peg. It also probably reduced the number of dropped gears by allowing me to get a better line up.

Okay. I don’t doubt their effectiveness, but I’m trying to work out exact how effective they can be.

Personally, I (conservatively) estimated if they save you 1 second on a 20 second cycle time…that’s 5% saved. Not even including dropped game pieces. That could potentially be huge.

We use those monitors specifically because they are not line of sight obstructions. We have them mounted on telescoping camera poles with ball head mounts so the drivers can position the monitors depending on driver station. We position the monitors in such a way that the driver can see the monitor out of the corner of their eye so they get the info they need without looking away from the field (think of it as like a minimap in LoL or DOTA). This lets the driver keep their attention on the robot rather than looking down at a laptop screen.

We only used two this year because we had two camera feeds. One was the top limelight with a webcam feed while the other was the bottom limelight feed. We needed the second limelight feed for scoring on the cargo ship because our robot could lock onto the wrong target with the turret so the operator kept his eye on this feed to make the turret was locked onto the right target.

11 Likes