I think this video is very relevant to FIRST Students; Advice to young scientists

E.O. Wilson: Advice to young scientists

Why?
I’m not disagreeing with you. The linked video contains a number of very powerful messages from a man I have a great deal of respect for. However, I’m not sure ALL of those messages are necessarily relevant to FIRST students, and I believe some of them may be misinterpreted.

So I’m curious. What particular messages do you feel are most relevant? Which ones struck you, in particular?

-John

His message calling people to innovate and take the road less taken. " March away from the sound of the guns. Observe from a distance, but do not join the fray. Make a fray of your own." I believe the FIRST program was a result of this kind of mentality.

Also this principle: " It is important also to acquire older mentors within these successful programs, and to make friends and colleagues of your age for mutual support."

I agree that those are powerful, and meaningful messages worthy of being spread to every student (young and old). :slight_smile:

My other thoughts on the video here:
http://blog.iamjvn.com/2012/06/advice-to-young-scientists.html

-John