Ideas For a Custom Driver Station

Hey guys , we are thinking about a custom drive station but we dont really did it before , so we need some advices to follow . If u guys have an idea that could make the station cheaper , more functional , cooler ; all of them are acceptable !

1 Like

LEDs

9 Likes

Honestly we just took some polycarb and 80/20 then slapped it together and put some handles on it. Then added a lot of LEDs. Most important part ofc.

1 Like

We did the same thing, except, we did a top layer of lexan on top of the 80/20, and a sheet of carbon fibre on the bottom of the 80/20. Looks super slick and then we have our LEDs, laptop power brick, and Arduino for LEDs all sandwiched between the two plates. I’ll see if I can find some pics in a bit.

1 Like

1787s is a 1x1 aluminum Square tube welded together with a lexan on top and two holes in the aluminum so you can attach it to a drum harness

1 Like

A pelican case or a pelican case knock off and then put a logitech controller and a rc transmitter with usb support in it along with whatever laptop you use as a driver station.https://github.com/FIRST1778/Documentation/wiki/Freezy-Drive-2017

1 Like

I still love 144’s driver station, they use polycarb to make actual box. They have the laptop inside the box and it slides out on drawer slides. And to get even cooler, it has mounting spots for straps and the operator carries it as a backpack. Plus LED’s.

1 Like

this thing sounds like a fantasy custom driver station , liked that one lol

pelican cases always look awesome , but a little situation : money

tbh i couldnt find it , could you throw us a link or photo

The best driver station I’ve had a hand in is one the team didn’t even buy.

I had bought an Apache case from Harbor Freight for my business, which turned out to solve one problem but not really fix others. Turns out the case I bought (which was either a 2800 or a 3800, I can’t remember and can’t access it to check) perfectly fit our driver station laptop with room underneath for controllers and such. It’s been wonderful for us.

As always, don’t forget to look for coupons.

1 Like

Guitar Hero!

Edit: Forgot to include photo credit: IRI 2018 Media Team

12 Likes

GOAT drivers station right der

2 Likes

The biggest thing we learned was make secure permanent connections. We made a custom button board in 2019 and in transport to an off-season event all the wiring came unplugged. We decided it was too much work to try to fix it so we switched to a Logitech instead, but we had to retrain our drivers.

2 Likes

Actually i created a design by using these pelican cases , they are reaaaaly useful . Well they are kinda expensive ik but they look wonderful and probably we will buy one of them to make a custom , thanks !

loool loved it

Our team uses a piece of 3/4"(i think our drive board was around before me) plywood that has the fake white plastic counter top stuff on the bottom and edges and then on the top we have a printout of some cool team graphics(once again no idea what it is or was because it was made before i got there) and then we have two simple handles to carry it and a lot of velcro on the top to hold joysticks and the laptop and then a strip on the bottom to hold it to the drive board.

1 Like

2018 Controls

2019 Controls: Based of NASA Mission Control2020 Controls

21 Likes

Some of our best work.

12 Likes

Do you have a sub team that works on the driver station ever year? Impressive!

1 Like