Illinois Math and Science Academy

I just wanted to give a shout out to the great people at the Illinois Math and Science Academy.

They were recently named the “top public high school in the country” by the Niche website. They are also home to FRC Team 2022, Titan Robotics.

I have had a special place in my heart for these kids as we have had a couple of students on our team that have attended IMSA. One of our previous students is working at IMSA now and is helping to mentor Team 2022.

Pwnage had some members of Team 2022 out to our sponsors facility, Genesis Automation, to talk robots during last years competition season. I really enjoyed talking with their students and saw that light that I see in many USFirst robotics members.

I just recently had the unique opportunity to go on a tour of IMSA with my 8th grade son. During my visit I really saw first hand how the faculty at this school make it their mission to enable the students to think for themselves.
I know it can be easier to tell the students the answer but making them think through the problem and come up with a solution is the lesson we should be teaching. This really was evident during my visit.

Our student tour guide did an excellent job of showing us the facility and really was very excited to share her love for the school. I hid in a corner when one of the robotics students that came out to our facility presented to a group about their FRC team. Man was I was beaming listening to this student talk about their robotics program. You know, that feeling you get when you have a student that just gets it and you know they are really gaining invaluable experiences from the program.

Again, congrats to the faculty, staff and students at IMSA.