Image Discuss: 217 with bins

That’s me holding the robot with bins. The purpose of this picture is to show our capability to hold bins secure. We are only showing a few bins due to the ceiling height, but we can stack up to 10, with 8 being our target. The robot was actually balanced on the wheels, I was holding it just in case.

Stacker stats:

Capacity: 10 boxes (limited by length of strap)
Design point: 8 boxes (wonder where we got that number)

Can stack 1, 2, or 3 bins at a time by lifting the stack we hold and driving over bins on the floor.

Window motor + F-P motor & gearbox for lifter
Window motor for strap
Strap motor and pulley sized to automatically release and tighten as stack is lifted.

good idea for stack stability.

How do you put down the stack without pulling down the stack? presumably you slacken off the rope, how long does it take to do this?

*Originally posted by Ed Crammond *
**good idea for stack stability.

How do you put down the stack without pulling down the stack? presumably you slacken off the rope, how long does it take to do this? **

We release the tension slightly in the strap when we lower the entire stack. The strap then can stay in place or we can lower it. The total travel for the stack (and/or strap) is only slightly more than the height of one bin.

Not shown in the photo are some “latches” (3 sets) that actually hold the bins in place when we are retrieving another bin. They are released (by small servos) when we lower the entire stack. They work very well at holding the bins in place.

Very nice. I like the stacking ablility. It seems that you also have some sort of wing on the front/back of the robot. Do you also plan to knock down boxes at the begining or will you be strickly orented towards stacking?

That’s impressive, that you can tip that much and not lose your stack. I’m looking forward to seeing you in action at Ypsi.

thats kinda neat…your wheels are kinda small though…

That’s because they have omni-drive.

Huge wheels wont help you on the HDPE anyways.

Cory

WOW. All i have to say is WOW

you guys again have another ingenius bot.

i fear you.

we had a similar system for restraining our stack, but we lost it.

being overweight sucks.

Yea… I took a look at this picture, and I thought “WOW THIS LOOKS LIKE OUR ROBOT!!” minus a way to hold the bins. (Steve basically summed it up :P)

Rock on, and great bot! :slight_smile:

At kickoff I’ve already though about having something hold on the stack of bins from on top. Can’t believe no one else did it!

Really cool robot! Can’t wait to see it at Houston!

*Originally posted by David Lantz *
**Very nice. I like the stacking ablility. It seems that you also have some sort of wing on the front/back of the robot. Do you also plan to knock down boxes at the begining or will you be strickly orented towards stacking? **

Actually, we have (2) wings on the (rear of the robot) that fold down during the autonomous mode using (2) pneumatic cylinders. We start by driving the robot up the ramp (autonomously) with the rear of the robot going up first since the rear also has the steering wheels. by the time the robot (and wings) contact the bins, they are fully deployed (total of 10 feet wide). When we regain operator control of the robot, we will go to our scoring zone to begin stacking bins. We can lift and securely retain a pre-existing 3 bin stack then lift another 3 bin stack, etc. We can also pick-up 1 bin at a time from the floor.

There are (2) other photos in this photo gallery that show the wings.