Image Discuss: Self-Righting

Here is Sparky 4.0 pushing itself after a mentor tiped it over. Incase Sparky tips over, we can use are multi-purpose arm to lift us up.

That is a good idea. I know a lot of teams are having troubles with that.

This being a discussion i wanted to raise this point. If this robot were to fall on it’s “face” would it be penalized for metal in contact with the rug? Possibly shut off for the remainder of the match? Our robot has a similar idea with our arms. Any ideas?

As I see it, the rule against metal contact with the carpet is aimed totally at stopping damage to the carpet. If your arm or other mechanism is round aluminum tubing, I wouldn’t worry. If it’s sharpened carbide spikes, you might want to make some changes. :wink:

In either case, as long as you have ANY weight at all left, some timing belt or thin poly carb and some pop rivets could alleviate any doubt.

Also, during inspection or even before, ask FIRST. Most, if not all, the inspections I have witnessed has had a very thorough check for sharp metal edges on all components, including arms. Might be a good time to mention that your arm can be used for self-righting by pushing on the carpet.

Adam

Nice work just 2 questions

1. Is everything mounted so it can take the impact of coming back down?

2. And this device doesn’t get caught on the lip of the ramp and carpet when they meet?

The device dosn’t get stuck in the ramp. It is flat on one surface and has lexan sticking up on another to pick up boxes. It can work on both the ramp and on the carpet. Everything is also built to withstand a fall. We have reinforced our casters and have our electrical board in there nice and tight.

just out of curiosity… do you have enough clearance to back up the ramp? (I’m assuming the casters are on the front)

I think my teams flippy robot should invest in something to keep us from flipping.

*Originally posted by f22flyboy *
**just out of curiosity… do you have enough clearance to back up the ramp? (I’m assuming the casters are on the front) **

We have enough clearence to go backwards and forwards up the ramp.

tehehehe :slight_smile:

Yeah, it took our team a long time to get to what we finally built, we went through tons of ideas and designs, and now we have a fully functioning robot that will do what we hoped it would. But lets just say we drank many bottles of Bawls.
~Mr. Ivey

*Originally posted by Mr. Ivey *
**But lets just say we drank many bottles of Bawls.
~Mr. Ivey **

Bull.

just curious, do your casters get stuck at all on the wire mesh, or do they make the robot bounce around? nice righting bar/box lifter!!

Our casters do not get stuck and we do not have a problem with bouncing. we found the right size casters for the job

Our casters are big enough to not get stuck and we don’t bounce around at all. But it does make quite a bit of noise. :slight_smile:

sweet innovative design, Its good to have thought of flipping before you actually flipped, i’m hoping our team bot doesn’t have a problem with flipping