IMPORTANT info from FIRST

Posted by Raul at 03/27/2001 9:25 AM EST

Engineer on team #111, Wildstang, from Rolling Meadows & Wheeling HS and Motorola.

I spoke to Eric and asked him about two things that everyone is speculating about:

1. How many matches at the nationals?
    He said they are trying to get 8 matches per team. I told him I was surprised they could fit that many, but he says they will TRY.

2. When do we find out who is in each division at nationals?
    He said that we will definitely know by Thursday morning before the practice matches start. In fact, he said they are going to split the pit area into 4 sections, one for each division. He also said it is not meant to be a secret and they may post the divisions on their website this week.

Darn, I forgot to ask him how they choose who goes in what division.

Raul

Posted by Raul at 03/27/2001 9:41 AM EST

Engineer on team #111, Wildstang, from Rolling Meadows & Wheeling HS and Motorola.

In Reply to: IMPORTANT info from FIRST
Posted by Raul on 03/27/2001 9:25 AM EST:

I called him again. He said that they are spreading out the regional winners, and maybe the runner-ups also, amoung the divisions so no division is too strong or too weak.

Then, they will have the rest of the teams chosen as Mike Aubry said - counting down the list 1,2,3,4. Eric said this prevents a division from having too many rookies or veterans.

Raul

Posted by Matt Berube at 03/27/2001 1:16 PM EST

Engineer on team #49, Delphi Knights, from Buena Vista High School and Delphi Automotive.

In Reply to: Re: IMPORTANT info from FIRST
Posted by Raul on 03/27/2001 9:41 AM EST:

: Then, they will have the rest of the teams chosen as Mike Aubry said - counting down the list 1,2,3,4. Eric said this prevents a division from having too many rookies or veterans.

Looks like we will have to get used to having some new neibhors in the pits.

Posted by Joel G at 03/27/2001 9:56 AM EST

Student on team #442, Knight Riders, from Lee High School and NASA/ BOEING/ MEVATEC.

: I spoke to Eric and asked him about two things that everyone is speculating about:

Thanks for the info. , I’m glad there trying to get 8 in, Our team played 10 at the Lone Star regional which seemed to work pretty well especially if had a bad round or two.

Posted by Ken Leung at 03/27/2001 2:16 PM EST

Student on team #192, Gunn Robotics Team, from Henry M. Gunn Senior High School.

Pretty interesting answer you got for us, Raul…

If they are trying to squeeze in 8 matches for each team, but not make it 7 and have more time for more teams into the finals? I am not sure what do people want, more qualifying matches or more teams into the finals?

About the pit split into 4 section, I totally see that coming. After all, the division doesn’t mean mich if it’s only same group of teams playing in the same field, while buried in the huge pit with everyone else.

This way, teams will have a lot closer relationship with the other teams within a division… As well as making scouting easier and the competition more fun. Thanks You, FIRST!!!

Posted by Kevin at 03/30/2001 3:32 PM EST

Coach on team #308, Walled Lake Monsters, from Walled Lake Schools and TRW Automotive Electronics.

Erica has just informed me that FIRST does not intend to put the division break-down on their site, but that we will know Thursday morning.

Kevin

: I spoke to Eric and asked him about two things that everyone is speculating about:

: 1) How many matches at the nationals?
: He said they are trying to get 8 matches per team. I told him I was surprised they could fit that many, but he says they will TRY.

: 2) When do we find out who is in each division at nationals?
: He said that we will definitely know by Thursday morning before the practice matches start. In fact, he said they are going to split the pit area into 4 sections, one for each division. He also said it is not meant to be a secret and they may post the divisions on their website this week.

: Darn, I forgot to ask him how they choose who goes in what division.

: Raul