important skills

Posted by shaun at 2/4/2001 10:21 PM EST

Other on team #25, nbths robotics team , from nbths and bms.

Besides being able to pick up the big ball. What do you think will be important skills to have this year

Posted by EJ at 2/4/2001 10:37 PM EST

Student on team #254, Cheesy Poofs, from Bellarmine.

In Reply to: important skills
Posted by shaun on 2/4/2001 10:21 PM EST:

: Besides being able to pick up the big ball. What do you think will be important skills to have this year

i think it will be important to be able to balance the bridge (alone w/ 1 or 2 goals), and to be able to get a strecher to the end zone, release it, and then go and atempt another task…do u have ne ideas? or objections?

Posted by shaun at 2/5/2001 12:35 AM EST

Other on team #25, nbths robotics team , from nbths and bms.

In Reply to: Re: important skills
Posted by EJ on 2/4/2001 10:37 PM EST:

i think you also need to be able to get to the other side without using the ramp. I beleave, That skill is going to be the most important thing for a final allince. that way you are not waisting time waiting for the bridge.

Posted by Jessica Boucher at 2/5/2001 6:58 AM EST

Student on team #237, Sie-H2O-Bots, from Watertown High School and Eastern Awning Systems & The Siemon Company.

Posted by shaun on 2/5/2001 12:35 AM EST:

With a bit of choreography, I think that the ramp can be utilized efficiently :wink:

-Jessica B, #237

Posted by Josh at 2/5/2001 5:13 PM EST

Engineer on team #419, Rambots, from Wentworth Institute of Technology.

In Reply to: I disagree…
Posted by Jessica Boucher on 2/5/2001 6:58 AM EST:

: With a bit of choreography, I think that the ramp can be utilized efficiently :wink:

: -Jessica B, #237

What happens when you are on an alliance with three other teams all trying to get their jobs done…

Do you honestly think the bridge will be able to be utilized as efficiently as possible with 4 teams rushing to get over it?

Some teams don’t work together within their own team, what is to say they will all work together with 3 other teams?

Josh
Team 419
“Murphy’s Laws: Nature is a mother.”

Posted by Erin at 2/5/2001 7:13 AM EST

Other on team #65, Huskie Brigade, from Pontiac Northern High School and GM Powertrain.

Posted by shaun on 2/5/2001 12:35 AM EST:

I believe that being able to go over or under the pole will take just as much time if not more time than the bridge. And if your robot busts a motor on the pole, dies under it, or just plain gets stuck, then who is getting you out of that mess? if you are dead on the ramp, at least there is still good ol’ fashioned PUSHING. And I also believe it with limbo bots and rail jumpers that it would take just as much time to get all 4 to the other side of the field. Imagine how much your robot is going to have to put up with by going over or under? I believe it may prove useful some of the time, and it will be real flashy and whatever, but I agree with most of the rest of the engineers on my team when i say that this is a skill that may prove inefficient and will not necessarily be the key to winning a game. Hotbot used the ramp last year instead of the limbo, and they were still totally awesome :slight_smile:

lets put bets now- the national champions won’t win because of their ability to go over or under the bar :slight_smile:

erin

Posted by Joe Johnson at 2/5/2001 8:33 AM EST

Engineer on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

In Reply to: ooo, i strongly disagree
Posted by Erin on 2/5/2001 7:13 AM EST:

Erin,

Even odds. The National Championship Alliance will have at least one robot on the field that will go under or over the rail during their high score.

How many cans of Dew can I mark you down for?

Joe J.

Posted by Erin at 2/5/2001 11:02 AM EST

Other on team #65, Huskie Brigade, from Pontiac Northern High School and GM Powertrain.

In Reply to: I’ll take some of that action…
Posted by Joe Johnson on 2/5/2001 8:33 AM EST:

First off, no dew. I hate Dew!!!

Second off, I wasn’t saying that the alliance wouldn’t have at least one or two rail jumpers (I bet it will) I am just saying that they won’t be winning because of that robots ability to do it.

Third and lastly, if you still want to bet, let’s think of something besides Dew!

-Erin

Posted by Joe Johnson at 2/5/2001 12:09 PM EST

Engineer on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

In Reply to: Re: I’ll take some of that action…
Posted by Erin on 2/5/2001 11:02 AM EST:

First off, Dew Haters are weird! :wink:

Second off, The wording of my bet remains “the National Championship Alliance will score their highest score in a match that at least one robot goes over or under the bar.” If they didn’t need it to win, why did they do it – to show off?

Third off, make me a proposal if you want to bet something else. How about pizza?

Fourth and lastly, if you don’t like pizza I can’t help you :wink:

Joe J.

Posted by Erin at 2/5/2001 2:25 PM EST

In Reply to: Make an offer
Posted by Joe Johnson on 2/5/2001 12:09 PM EST:

Pizza is good- How about enough pizzas for me and my PNHS Huskies? If you win, I feed the PCHS Chiefs. As long as mine has pinapple and ham, YOU’RE ON. I won’t forget this one Dr. Joe.

Remember the terms- The winning alliance will not win based upon the usage of a robot’s “rail-jumping” or “limbo” capabilities.

Agree?

-Erin
“Get ready to get ran over by Dog Tracks”

Posted by Joe Johnson at 2/5/2001 3:11 PM EST

In Reply to: Re: Make an offer
Posted by Erin on 2/5/2001 2:25 PM EST:

The stake is fine, as most folks know, I love pizza and so do the Mighty Chiefs.

But…

The bet you describe is too vague and not the wager I am willing to make.

Here is the bet I will make:

The National Championship Alliance will score their highest score in a match in which at least one robot goes over or under the bar.

Accept or reject the bet as you like, but the above statement is what I am willing to wager on.

Joe J.

Posted by Ken Leung at 2/5/2001 5:05 PM EST

Student on team #192, Gunn Robotics Team, from Henry M. Gunn Senior High School.

In Reply to: No Deal…
Posted by Joe Johnson on 2/5/2001 3:11 PM EST:

Talk about OT from discussion about robot going over the bar to a long thread about betting in the game and Dews and Pizza! I will tell you my problem at the end of this message.

Well… while I am ON topic about the bet, is this bet open to outsiders? I want in! But I am going to support Erin’s side:

The National Championship Alliance will score their highest score in a match in which NONE of the robots goes over or under the bar.

Now, one more thing, you may not modify the design of your robot so that you will now win the National Championship AND goes over/under the bar if you never design your robot as such before this bet started.

As for payment, it will be unfair for you to supply two teams’ pizza, so all you have to do is to supply Erin’s team pizza, and a case of Dew for me. And the other way goes- Erin will supply your team’s pizza while a case of Dew for you from me.

Sigh… I will really take on this bet if I can afford to go to Florida… Hope this bet works out. But if I actually show up over there, the bet is on, right?

-Ken Leung

(I am serious. I have a problem. As of now I do not have any money for me to even get close to Florida. I am just a student helping out my team, so I am not going to ask them to reduce my price. Maybe I can start a part-time job right now… I shall see what happens. But chances are that I won’t be able to show up at Florida, and even if I can I won’t have any money for hotel or food.)

Posted by Josh at 2/5/2001 5:16 PM EST

In Reply to: I have a problem.
Posted by Ken Leung on 2/5/2001 5:05 PM EST:

: Now, one more thing, you may not modify the design of your robot so that you will now win the National Championship AND goes over/under the bar if you never design your robot as such before this bet started.

We have 2 weeks left till regionals…

Who in their right mind would change their entire design just for pizza?

Pardon my ignorance, but wouldn’t that be…umm…kinda…idiotic?

Josh
Team 419
Yes, i am a tad bit bitter today, “…pardon me while i burst into the flames…”

Posted by Erin at 2/5/2001 5:51 PM EST

no no no ken!!! hehe

Read the message posted directly above this one, ok? I must speak in a manner which confuses everyone unintentionally, and I apologize for doing so…

But hey, can we bet on something else??

I WANT PIZZA, and I think Joe wants his Dew.

-Erin

Posted by Joe Johnson at 2/5/2001 8:34 PM EST

Ken,

Are you serious? You have GOT to be going to FL!

Something is seriously wrong with the world if you put
in all the time I image you put in on this thing and
you don’t get to go to the big show.

Get out your hat and start beggin’ man!

Keep us in the loop.

Joe J.

Posted by Josh at 2/5/2001 11:05 PM EST

In Reply to: ZOUNDS!
Posted by Joe Johnson on 2/5/2001 8:34 PM EST:

: Ken,

: Are you serious? You have GOT to be going to FL!

: Something is seriously wrong with the world if you put
: in all the time I image you put in on this thing and
: you don’t get to go to the big show.

: Get out your hat and start beggin’ man!

: Keep us in the loop.

: Joe J.

Hey anton, this gives me an idea…

For a fund raiser, we add a few extra temporary functions on our robot and show it off at Quincy Market or down in the T station…
We can have a bucket for change and we can drive the robot around helping people put luggage on trains…:slight_smile:

Josh
Team 419
“Murphy’s Laws: A Smith & Wesson beats four aces”

Posted by Josh at 2/5/2001 11:05 PM EST

In Reply to: ZOUNDS!
Posted by Joe Johnson on 2/5/2001 8:34 PM EST:

: Ken,

: Are you serious? You have GOT to be going to FL!

: Something is seriously wrong with the world if you put
: in all the time I image you put in on this thing and
: you don’t get to go to the big show.

: Get out your hat and start beggin’ man!

: Keep us in the loop.

: Joe J.

Hey anton, this gives me an idea…

For a fund raiser, we add a few extra temporary functions on our robot and show it off at Quincy Market or down in the T station…
We can have a bucket for change and we can drive the robot around helping people put luggage on trains…:slight_smile:

Josh
Team 419
“Murphy’s Laws: A Smith & Wesson beats four aces”

Posted by Matt Leese at 2/5/2001 8:54 PM EST

Other on team #73, Tigerbolt, from Edison Technical HS and Alstom & Rochester Institute of Technology.

Well, if you’re really desperate to go to Nationals, do what I’m doing. I’m not sure if 73 can make the trip (we’re tracking down another possible sponsor where we might JUST get enough money to go to nationals – anyone interested in helping us out, feel free to contact me ;). Basically, I told my parents they’re going and they’re going to take me if the team doesn’t go and otherwise they’re gonna watch my team compete. :wink: The funness of being in college and trying to bum a way to nationals…

Matt who really, really, really hopes his team can go

Posted by Erin at 2/5/2001 5:47 PM EST

In Reply to: No Deal…
Posted by Joe Johnson on 2/5/2001 3:11 PM EST:

::::Second off, I wasn’t saying that the alliance wouldn’t have at least one or two rail jumpers or limbo bots (I bet it will) I am just saying that they won’t be winning because of that robots ability to do it::::

I already agreed with you on that one… I just said that they aren’t there necessarily because of their ability jump or duck :slight_smile:

So instead of arguing, we are agreeing! Maybe I will buy pizza for you anyways.

-Erin

Posted by Bill Beatty at 2/8/2001 4:18 PM EST

Other on team #71, Team Hammond, from Team Hammond.

In Reply to: Re: No Deal…
Posted by Erin on 2/5/2001 5:47 PM EST:

Joe

I have got to go with Erin on this one. I don’t know if the winning alliance will have a rail jumper/limboer or not, but as more alliances discover that two robots can easily go over the bridge together it starts to negate any time savings such machines can offer.

Mr. Bill