[INF] Center Grove District Discussion 2019

After waiting for what seemed forever for someone create this thread, I decided to jump on it on my way down to Center Grove. (Sorry Cornfed)
A Tippecanoe Recap:
No doubt Tippecanoe was an exciting event, and possibly the most interesting 2nd district Indiana has had since the move to the district system. With finals being the 3rd seed vs 5th seed, major shake ups had occurred. This marked a major shift in the Indiana meta; defense is back.
The Resurrection of Defense:
Defense is back, and it’s here to stay for the rest of this year. To understand why it’s back, one must understand why it was gone. Indiana is unique, there isn’t 2-3 teams that will always win an event. There is an upper crust, and every year, teams shift around within it. The depth is incredible, and thus, even a second pick can be very offensively powerful. Why would one want to change how they play, when the net point gain for defense was the same as just scoring. Yet this year is different. With the ability to do cycles so quickly for top tier robots, defense can have profound effects. Dropping a robot down by 5 cycles is a huge affect.
Defense will continue even as the offensive robots become stronger. An eliminations alliance that refuses to send a defense robot will have to deal with more congestion, as the opponents defense bot will be even more effective.
Elimination Alliances:
The strongest elimination alliances will be build with 2 offense robots and 1 defense bot. The offensive bot will not be focused solely on a rocket, but rather mix up their strategy, keeping defensive bots guessing throughout the event.

3 Likes

FRC Team 1501 is up for the challenge.

3 Likes

Good analysis!

My overview of the teams at CG suggests that perhaps not only will defense be strong but counter-defense as alliances try to make the best use of their scorers without being overwhelmed by a defensive robot. I expect to see lots of 1 on 1 defensive battles around the field as alliances members try to protect their main scoring bot’s cycle-times. Defense in Tippecanoe finals was brutal! High scoring may suffer as a result and if I’m not mistaken, there are fewer climbers in this group than Tippecanoe, for both levels. HAB rank points may be scarce.

1 Like

How come there wasn’t a [INF] Center Grove District Discussion? :frowning:
I like the insights

1 Like

Someone has to take the time to write them and they’re probably busy doing other stuff :slight_smile: Especially when they only get like 2 or 3 comments, not worth the effort really.

My prediction: teams have now been through an event and will learn how to handle defense a little better, including running counter-defense strategies in the elimination rounds. With only 35 teams, the 4-8 seeds will all get stronger robots if they scout correctly. I think we’ll see another ‘upset’ of the non-1 seed winning this event.

2 Likes

What is the likelihood we have a repeat of 2017 in which the 1st seed never won at any of the four events in Indiana?

1 Like

High, in my opinion. The better scoring rocket bots don’t have level 3 climbs or consistent level 3 climbs (yet - 868 I’m sure will be firing on all cylinders at this event.) Because the 3rd RP is so tightly tied to that climb, it leaves the door open for teams that aren’t as good at rocket scoring to seed higher.

Edit: After looking at 868’s schedule I predict they’ll seed #1. The match schedule Gods were generous to them and they’ll be better this week.

2 Likes

Nice to see 1741 working. Good luck red alert!

Somebody forgot to remind Indiana teams they can’t play defense.

2xcs3l

Indiana also has had a rookie team captain the winning alliance for two straight events - 7457. They’re ranked 1st in district points by a mile and are killing it! Incredible job suPURDUEper

4 Likes

1741 crippling whole alliances was fun to watch. May have been as last pick but THE FINALIST STREAK IS OVER

2 Likes

Couldn’t believe 1741 lasted until last pick. They had played some of the best defense in elims. We were thrilled to get them!

2 Likes

From an in person experience right on the field, the best defense bots were 1741, 3494, 6721, and 3559. They all did fabulous things for their alliances, and I’m excited to see those who made it states compete soon.

2 Likes

It will be interesting to see if defense remains prominent at the district champs level during elimination rounds. 32 teams are coming and most of them have plenty of offensive potential. Teams will also have practiced handling defense by that point, potentially making it less effective.

11/32 teams have level 3 climbs with the potential for a few more. It’s going to be one of the most competitive events of the year, we can’t wait :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.