Info on gear on drill motor

Posted by Jason Iannuzzi.

Engineer on team #11, Marauders, from Mt. Olive HS. and BASF, Rame Hart, CCM.

Posted on 5/4/2000 7:24 AM MST

Anyone happen to know the pitch/pressure angle on the gear on the drill motors?

We don’t have a gear gauge (or at least can’t find the one we had) but we need the info.

We’re hoping to make our own gearboxes and avoid all the hassle associated with the out-of-the-box ones.

Hey, we gotta keep ourselves occupied somehow right?

Posted by Joe Johnson.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Engineer on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

Posted on 5/4/2000 12:47 PM MST

In Reply to: Info on gear on drill motor posted by Jason Iannuzzi on 5/4/2000 7:24 AM MST:

Raul-the-Magnificent from WildStang (#111) pestered the Hxxx out of the guys at Bosch to get them to fax him a drawing of that gear.

I pestered him and he produced the goods!

The gear is a
0.7 module gear,
12 tooth,
20 degree pressure angle,
‘full depth’ gear.
(O.D. 9.8mm
Root Dia 6.58mm
Tooth Thickness 1.099)

Measuring the gear and comparing it to the print, things don’t quite add up.

We added a few (2 as I recall) extra thousanths of an inch into the center distance between the gears just to make sure we wouldn’t have the gears jam against eachother (we can afford the extra backlash & the gears meshed wonderfully).

This is the first year we used that drill pinion ‘as is’ (in the past we pressed off the gear and pressed on our own). We were VERY happy with the results.

By the way, PIC-Design is the only source I know of that sells .7 module steel gears ‘off the shelf’ (www.pic-design.com)

Joe J.

P.S. .7 Module gears are very close to but NOT the same as 36 pitch English gears.

Posted by Jason Iannuzzi.

Engineer on team #11, Marauders, from Mt. Olive HS. and BASF, Rame Hart, CCM.

Posted on 5/4/2000 1:14 PM MST

In Reply to: Gear data – courtesy of Raul the Magnificent posted by Joe Johnson on 5/4/2000 12:47 PM MST:

Thank you kind sir, that was exactly what I was looking for.

Now, to reverse engineer that kooky Delphi drive train!

:slight_smile: