Inspiration for TRAVERSAL RUNG climber

I believe these videos can inspire many teams to build “simple” TRAVERSAL RUNG climbing mechanism:

FRC 3572 - 2013

FRC 254 - 2013

Let me know what you think about it and fill free to share your inspirations :slight_smile:

Good luck in build season and stay safe!

PS. Here is my playlist with RAPID REACT videos which is still growing

20 Likes

Don’t forget to Release The Kraken!

7 Likes

Not conceptually different but a couple more examples:

2 Likes

Funny story, my co-captain and I had been texting each other about climber design for over 1 hour after kickoff. He had to go eat dinner. I was bored and went on Youtube to look at climber designs. I found the video you sent from 3572 within seconds, and realized that it was basically the exact same design as the one my co-captain and I had been discussing.

5 Likes

The 842 climb…folks involved with this one definitely don’t want to do it again! at least that’s what they told me today. We’ll see after they get to think about it for a while.

Inspiration? Definitely. Simple? Hardly.

10 Likes

I think a big difference between this year’s climb and 2013 is that 2013 was pretty close to a vertical climb; this year’s is at roughly a 45 deg (very rough). In 2013, if you grab the bar above and pull up, it was not hard to separate/release from the lower bar. This year, grabbing the next higher bar will need to be followed by releasing the lower bar, which, off hand, is not has simple.

6 Likes

Same thing happened to me and another teammate. It was a different robot tho :joy:

1 Like

We’ve had a few people ask about our climb, and sadly that was before we did any detailed CAD and the result was a robot that worked great but was slow and also very quick to slice your arms to ribbons when reaching inside to repair something… The hardest part of that season was staying in the vertical cylinder that was allowed for robot orientation, until FIRST changed the rules during week 5 or 6 of build to make Anyone who swung or tilted legal again.

I will be having some students dig through the old photo archives to see if they can find some better pictures to share for folks. We talked about that year as well yesterday, and it was amazing to think how much faster that thing could have gone with the motors and funding that we have now versus then. That whole robot was built with the Kit of Parts and a BOM of under $400.

5 Likes

Just to add another video and some details here…

We had a multi-jointed arm (“shoulder” and “elbow” joints), with loose-spinning hooks on the end. Those hooks were connected to a winch down inside the robot. There was a second set of “fixed” hooks on the robot itself. In pulling up, the winch basically pulled the first hooks down between the fixed hooks. The fixed hooks were spring loaded and could freely rotate, so the bar pushed them out of the way until they snapped back in place to hold onto it. When the arm grabbed the next bar and started pulling, the bottom hooks would lift off, allowing the robot to swing out.

Note that to get this working correctly, we actually built about 20lbs under the weight limit, allowing us to but some large steel blocks strategically located in the robot to adjust our center of gravity.

From a programming perspective, the dynamics of essentially having 3 separate motors (shoulder, elbow, and winch) controlling the arm means any PID control is extremely difficult. The climb was 100% automated, yet you can see some oscillation in the arm that we never were able to remove - and a swinging robot didn’t help!

5 Likes

Thank you for sharing this idea! I managed to find your team’s youtube page and found this test run of your system and I am very impressed. I think the best climbers will be using something similar to your system.

2 Likes

It probably won’t be very helpful for this year’s game, but I couldn’t let a discussion of 2013 climbers go by without mentioning my favorite from 237.

1 Like

I really like that climber design, and am currently modeling our climber after it.

I am curious, if you remember, what is that little cord/tube thing connected to the two halves of the climbing arm (at the joint) and what purpose did it serve?

That is a piece of shock cord. If I remember right it is 3/8" diameter and we got it from West Marine. When pulled tight it would force open the arms at the elbow by pulling around the white UHMW blocks that it wraps around.

After digging through all of our old stuff I was sad that I didn’t find our phot album from that year, but I only have a few more computers to check and then off to the DVD storage. My memory of things most folks find useless is sadly amazing though, so I have a pretty solid recollection of every part on that robot.

1 Like

This picture that Daniel Ernst took at MSC shows the system a little clearer than most pictures if it helps.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.