Interest in a possible MWDU?

Hey all - I was sitting talking to Corey and Bharat about robotics last night, and this came to me. We all know that the East Coast has a drivers’ union, the ECDU. It’s amazing what they’ve done for FIRST thus far. This includes, but is not limited to, student-run workshops for the purpose of teaching how to scout, strategize, and maintain a graciously professional attitude on the field.

Anyway, getting to my point, I think it would be great if such drivers’ unions could be established in other parts of the US, or even the world (seeing how FIRST has expanded within the past few years).

To those in the Midwest, I am extremely willing to head an effort similar to the ECDU. I, however, need input - What are your opinions on this?, In what capacities do you think you can be involved?, etc.

Thanks for your time, and feel free to PM/IM me about the MWDU effort.

Lisa, thank you for your interest in the effort.

I think that there are a number of team tensions in the midwest. Having a global organization to unify midwest teams may help to alleviate some rivalries. I also think a lot of people could use workshops like those organized by ECDU.

However, while ECDU is a great role model, the Midwest does have a different mindset on some things. I think that would have to be taken account. I would love to join…and though I’m not a driver and won’t be, there are a lot of things to share.

And us ECDU leaders would love to help establish MWDU. Hopefully, in the near future, I will be able to get a huge website database together for drivers union. I am thinking a master plan could be

First Drivers Union(FDU)
-ECDU
-MWDU
-Other regions as we find people to lead these areas. I see huge scope in California and Canada.

I can positively say that the drivers union will eventually change the way the game is played. Hopefully more competitive, more interesting, amazing and more aggressive, yet in the evident realms of Gracious Professionalism.

Please kick in more ideas
-Bharat

You know what’s weird…I was sitting at Pizza Hut tonight thinking about forming a Midwest Drivers Alliance or something like that. Even though I’m not an official driver as of yet, I still think it would be cool. We could make in include Midwest driver enthusiasts! :stuck_out_tongue: And include operators (I didn’t read much of the ECDU but I don’t think they included operators) any who, I know a lot of Midwest drivers and “wanna-be drivers” would love to help get this thing off the ground. Lisa gets 2 thumbs up!

-Kyle

Who’s to say that we won’t be able to change that mindset?

Beyond that, why not give it a shot to see what happens? Isn’t it best to give up AFTER you’ve tried to make it work?

I’m not a driver (although I could be this year, depending on how things work out), but I think that this could be a good idea. It’s going to be a lot of work for whoever is involved…but it could all be worth it too. Trying is the only way to know for sure.
:slight_smile:

Great idea, that is very gracious and very professional. I would love to help any way possible

yes! i will join! :smiley: thats a great idea!
-Court-

i’d be honored to join. i honestly had no idea that the ECDU was the only drivers union currently in existence. as genia said, i have heard of tension between other teams, and i think that this union could eschew a great deal of it. i also would like to get into some of the workshops since this is only my second year involved in FIRST, and, though i learned quite a bit watching Ricky Q. last year, lessons like these never hurt!

Thank you for all the interest thus far. I am compiling a list of people who want to be involved… so hopefully everyone will get somewhat of an informational e-mail soon.