Interesting Changes You Would Make in Destination Deep Space

Personally, I think this game is looking a little bland compared to previous years. Similar elements from previous years are reused for Destination Deep Space. However, I do think there could be some fun and interesting ideas that could change the way the game is played. It doesn’t have to be completely fleshed out, as it won’t end up in the game anyways.

My change would be about the sandstorm. I think the sandstorm would be much more interesting if it didn’t replace the autonomous period. Instead, the sandstorm would be a random event that occurred in each match. So for example, the first 15 seconds of the match would be the regular autonomous period. However, during TeleOp, the sandstorm would occur at a random time for like 10-15 seconds. This would disrupt the match in a game where there is no real defense or robot obstruction. Just a fun thought.

But I do want to know what others may add to the game to maybe spice things up a bit.

2 Likes

think the sandstorm would be much more interesting if it didn’t replace the autonomous period. Instead, the sandstorm would be a random event that occurred in each match. So for example, the first 15 seconds of the match would be the regular autonomous period. However, during TeleOp, the sandstorm would occur at a random time for like 10-15 seconds.

Man, I had the exact same thought. I feel like it would fit the theme of “space is crazy and dangerous.” I know the theme is we’re prepping for the incoming sandstorm, but thematically it could just be a small first wave of the storm before the big thing.

2 Likes

I found it unusual there wasn’t a scoring bonus for panels or cargo in the middle or upper bays on the rocket.

2 Likes

I was thinking, while looking at the teaser, the sandstorm would be at the end. Like t-20

2 Likes

Oh man, could you even imagine trying to climb end game “blind”?

haha yeah, it would be a challenge!

Yeah we found that odd, as well. The only incentive to get the mid/high hatches or cargo is the RP for completing a rocket. Once elims starts, no one will have a reason to go after those unless all the low ones are filled.

1 Like

I’d remove the bonus RP to open up the strategic options during Quals.

1 Like

Might make it a bit more interesting to switch one of the rockets or a human player station to be on the opposite side of the field to have a bit more robot interaction

2 Likes

I would randomly disable one robot in each alliance towards the end of the sandstorm for a 15 second period… Those sandstorms really throw sand into the works…

2 Likes

It’s hard to judge a game before we’ve seen any kind of competitive play, but I find it weird that the RP bonuses don’t translate to additional points in Eliminations. We might see teams rank high in quals but not do well in eliminations (ex a team that focuses on HAB RP and literally nothing else).

We’ll have to wait and see though. It looks like this game doesn’t have any glaring flaws or issues, so it looks like a good game so far.

1 Like

I would randomize the rockets and cargo ships. I liked that feature from Power Up.
It sure would bring about more alliance interactions into the play. Right now, interaction and defensive play will be rather limited.

3 Likes

I’m truly disappointed that there isn’t a collaborative challenge that would lead to more alliance cooperation and an extra Ranking Point. We were lead to believe that the 2019 Destination: Deep Space challenge would foster more collaborative work, like that applied to reaching out to explore space.
For example, if both Alliances have completed one rocket and the two cooperate to complete a third, both would get a Ranking Point.

2 Likes

But climbing the HAB in the endgame leads to match points as well: 12 for a Level 3 climb; 6 for a Level and 3 for a Level 1. So the endgame action will be as important in Elims as it will be in Quals, IMHO.

I know points are scored on the path to bonus RP for both bonuses, but here’s how it could translate to poor match performance in elims:

Team 1 can score a few Hatch Panels during a match but finishes by parking on the LV3 HAB zone. This almost guarantees a bonus RP, with HAB scores up to 18-24pts.

Team 2 can complete a Rocket by themselves, but can’t climb to LVs 2 or 3 in the endgame. They score 30pts (+3 for a LV1 climb), and can almost always guarantee that bonus RP.

Say both teams have around the same luck for matches and Team 1 ranks higher than Team 2. Team 1 picks (lets say) the only other LV3 climber at their event, and then a team that can only score Hatches/Cargo in the first level. Team 2 gets a partner that can also score most of a Rocket, and their other pick can score in the first level (same 2nd pick for both alliances). Alliance #2 can’t climb above LV1.

Alliance #1 would lose against Alliance #2. Because Team 1 picked the other LV3 climber to deny it to their opponents, their Hatch/Cargo score suffers as a result. On the other hand, Team #2 can score alongside their partners and get close to that 100pt Hatch/Cargo limit. Sure they miss out on LV 2 and 3 points, but even an alliance that can somehow get all 3 LV3 HAB climbs can only score 36pts (plus whatever few Hatches/Cargo they get).

Not a perfect example, but one nonetheless. I don’t think it’ll be a big issue, but it still could be something to improve.

1 Like

Don’t forget those two Rocket ship levels still account for 20 match points. If you do the maths and compute the maximum score a team can achieve in a match, those 20 points for loaded Rocket Stages 2 and 3 can make one heck of a difference in Elims.

That’s where a well-defined team strategy, a good scouting/analysis crew well aware of the team’s strengths and weaknesses and good alliance negotiation skills will make the difference. FRC is not just about the robots…

I’m already pretty excited to watch teams jump down 6 inches in the sandstorm from level 2, but man, seeing teams jump all the way down from level 3 in the sandstorm for like 12 points would have been SO HYPE. I get why they don’t allow this but still, missed opportunity imo.

To make things even crazier, turn the time for sandstorm down to 10 seconds, that way taking the whimpy way down one level at a time becomes much more challenging.

2 Likes

i figure the best way to get down is either go full speed and hope you land on your feet or get a ramp bot to help you down

I didn’t forget. I meant that in elims, teams do not have an incentive to target the higher levels of the rockets at the very beginning of the match. Why go after a harder task while a much easier task gives the same amount of points, you know? I don’t think teams will go after the higher rocket levels until all the lower rocket levels and all the cargo ship bays are completely finished.

1 Like