Interesting observations at UTC

Posted by Fran .

Other on team #166, Team Merrimack, from Merrimack High School and Texas Instruments/R.S. Machines.

Posted on 4/2/2000 9:55 AM MST

I too was anxiosly awaiting the Gillette Team 69 and it was so impressive on getting on the bar immediately and sliding
sideways and transfering balls from 1 side to the other BUT after about 3 rounds someone figured out that
you just had to keep them from reach ing the bar first and that severely reduced their effectiveness. Though that long arm
could still reach and remove balls from the floor it was a slower process. They were knocked over several times and righted themselves.

Team 131 CHAOS was even more impressive, they are very fast to pick the balls out of the goals but are extremely fast to move
around, the only real defense against them is to block them from reaching the goals but they are are so fast to backup and move
away that any robot trying this better be fast to switch directions. Our alliance was successful at doing this in 1 round of the the
quarter finals (where we had the 2 lightest robots around…92 lbs and 87lbs). One other note, in 1 semifinal round chaos and its alliance both were knocked over sideways and could not right themselves. I expect to see them up near thetop at nationals.

It was a great feeling for our team to be picked for an alliance…we were all over from 1/2 early to finishing 25 but due to a variety of technical
problems that got worked out along the way. We even sent our base without lift out at one time and still managed to block and knock robots,
we also had lots of speed to get to the other side. We had another round where we successfully kept robots off the ramp.

Well Florida should be even more exciting.

Fran
Techno Insanity #166

Posted by James Keohane.

Student on team #69, HYPER (Helping Youth to Pursue Engineering and Robotics), from Quincy Public Schools and The Gillette Company.

Posted on 4/2/2000 12:49 PM MST

In Reply to: Interesting observations at UTC posted by Fran on 4/2/2000 9:55 AM MST:

Yep, the regionals were a blast. Team 69 wants to thank Team 58 for picking us in their alliance, and everyone had a blast. See everyone in Florida!!!

: I too was anxiosly awaiting the Gillette Team 69 and it was so impressive on getting on the bar immediately and sliding
: sideways and transfering balls from 1 side to the other BUT after about 3 rounds someone figured out that
: you just had to keep them from reach ing the bar first and that severely reduced their effectiveness. Though that long arm
: could still reach and remove balls from the floor it was a slower process. They were knocked over several times and righted themselves.

: Team 131 CHAOS was even more impressive, they are very fast to pick the balls out of the goals but are extremely fast to move
: around, the only real defense against them is to block them from reaching the goals but they are are so fast to backup and move
: away that any robot trying this better be fast to switch directions. Our alliance was successful at doing this in 1 round of the the
: quarter finals (where we had the 2 lightest robots around…92 lbs and 87lbs). One other note, in 1 semifinal round chaos and its alliance both were knocked over sideways and could not right themselves. I expect to see them up near thetop at nationals.

: It was a great feeling for our team to be picked for an alliance…we were all over from 1/2 early to finishing 25 but due to a variety of technical
: problems that got worked out along the way. We even sent our base without lift out at one time and still managed to block and knock robots,
: we also had lots of speed to get to the other side. We had another round where we successfully kept robots off the ramp.

: Well Florida should be even more exciting.

: Fran
: Techno Insanity #166

Posted by Lora Knepper.

Student on team #69, HYPER (Helping Youth Pursue Engineering & Robotics), from Quincy Public Schools and The Gillette Company.

Posted on 4/2/2000 1:24 PM MST

In Reply to: Interesting observations at UTC posted by Fran on 4/2/2000 9:55 AM MST:

: I too was anxiosly awaiting the Gillette Team 69 and it was so impressive on getting on the bar immediately and sliding
: sideways and transfering balls from 1 side to the other BUT after about 3 rounds someone figured out that
: you just had to keep them from reach ing the bar first and that severely reduced their effectiveness. Though that long arm
: could still reach and remove balls from the floor it was a slower process. They were knocked over several times and righted themselves.

***Ummm…Fran? I’m the arm operator from team 69, and though I whole heartedly agree with those last matches and the tipping of our bot…I know for a FACT that we did not right ourselves. We do not even have the ability to do so. We removed a few motors to make weight, and no longer have the strength do pick ourselves up. And never once did we remove a ball from the goal while on the floor. From the ramp yes, not the floor. And in the finals, we found that our harvester was wired backwards…so that hurt us as well. Don’t discount us yet though, we have been effective at blocking most of the goal with the arm. I also wanted to congratulate CHAOS team 131 and The Sun Seekers Team 237 along with 209 Dighton Rehoboth for an amazing set of matches! We were lucky enough to play with both of these teams, and I expect them both to do quite well in the Nats. Good luck to all, and I’ll see you in a few days!

Lora

Posted by Daniel.

Coach on team #483, BORG, from Berkeley High School and NASA Ames & UC Berkeley.

Posted on 4/2/2000 4:55 PM MST

In Reply to: Gillette/Quincy ~~ Not entirely true posted by Lora Knepper on 4/2/2000 1:24 PM MST:

We can. =)

However for anyone who watched our QF match you’ll have noticed that it seems keeping us away from the bar has a similar effect. Well, this is true…blocking us out hurts us a lot but don’t be surprised if you see a few improvements that make us a lot more intimidating in florida.

Just as joe is so prone to say…surprises are yet to come. :wink:

-Daniel

PS – I wouldn’t be too surprised to hear Quincy say the same.

Posted by Lora Knepper.

Student on team #69, HYPER (Helping Youth Pursue Engineering & Robotics), from Quincy Public Schools and The Gillette Company.

Posted on 4/3/2000 8:04 AM MST

In Reply to: maybe THEY can’t right themselves… posted by Daniel on 4/2/2000 4:55 PM MST:

: Just as joe is so prone to say…surprises are yet to come. :wink:

: -Daniel

: ______________________________
: PS – I wouldn’t be too surprised to hear Quincy say the same.

You better believe it Daniel! ;o)

Lora

Posted by Fran .

Other on team #166, Team Merrimack, from Merrimack High School and Texas Instruments/R.S. Machines.

Posted on 4/2/2000 9:57 PM MST

In Reply to: Gillette/Quincy ~~ Not entirely true posted by Lora Knepper on 4/2/2000 1:24 PM MST:

: : I too was anxiosly awaiting the Gillette Team 69 and it was so impressive on getting on the bar immediately and sliding

oops…I guess I am just seeing too many 'bots and the old memory is going…all I can remember is being in awe of your machine.

Fran

: : sideways and transfering balls from 1 side to the other BUT after about 3 rounds someone figured out that
: : you just had to keep them from reach ing the bar first and that severely reduced their effectiveness. Though that long arm
: : could still reach and remove balls from the floor it was a slower process. They were knocked over several times and righted themselves.

: ***Ummm…Fran? I’m the arm operator from team 69, and though I whole heartedly agree with those last matches and the tipping of our bot…I know for a FACT that we did not right ourselves. We do not even have the ability to do so. We removed a few motors to make weight, and no longer have the strength do pick ourselves up. And never once did we remove a ball from the goal while on the floor. From the ramp yes, not the floor. And in the finals, we found that our harvester was wired backwards…so that hurt us as well. Don’t discount us yet though, we have been effective at blocking most of the goal with the arm. I also wanted to congratulate CHAOS team 131 and The Sun Seekers Team 237 along with 209 Dighton Rehoboth for an amazing set of matches! We were lucky enough to play with both of these teams, and I expect them both to do quite well in the Nats. Good luck to all, and I’ll see you in a few days!

: Lora