internet

The drury inn we are staying at has FREE Internet access in all rooms! Yeah! posting delphi while in houston! Does any one else have this capability?

Yah um our hotel in houston told us that…
Really it was just a ‘data’ line in the room that you could use…but you had to have your own ISP

One trick to using internet in hotels in those free aol cd’s…just use a CC to activate them and make sure you cancel your subscription as soon as your done with it.

We better get free internet…

If not I have Sprint cell service and the applicable data cable for my laptop =D

Some motels are starting to offer Free High Speed Access.
I am useing it now. If they just state internet access, then
it is just a phone jack. Call your motel and ask what they offer.

*Originally posted by Marc P. *
**If not I have Sprint cell service and the applicable data cable for my laptop =D **

How much does it cost a month to have that service and how fast is the connection? Thanks.

I think that it is a 14.4kbps connection

Cory

*Originally posted by Cory *
**I think that it is a 14.4kbps connection

Cory **

How much?

It uses your normal cell phone plan (hope you have a lot of free minutes), and a normal dial-up ISP.

Cell modems for laptops usually get a service plan that charges $$/MB of transfer per month. I have a T-Mobile account for work that is $59.95 for 50 MB data transfer per month. I wouldn’t use it for picture/audio/video files, but it will serve well enough for e-mails and text browsing.

Yes, I plan to bring it with me to Houston, JM.

smiles

*Originally posted by Marc P. *
**If not I have Sprint cell service and the applicable data cable for my laptop =D **

woohoo 230 kb/s…that is what I am going to using at my hotel! I love my sprint phone :wink: T-mobile? ugh I don’t pay extra for my unlimited internet service with Sprint…you are getting ripped off buddy.

Actually… Sprint PCS Vision is $10 a month for unlimited Internet access, in addition to the normal mobile phone charges. I’m using it right now… at home, connected to my computer. It’s usually faster than my 56k. It’s “3G” so theoretically, under ideal/perfect conditions it can reach up to 144KB/s. Key word “ideal”… it’s usually more around 20KB/s for me around here, but it SEEMS a lot faster. Could be because this computer is a lot faster than the one hooked up to the copper wires too. :stuck_out_tongue: Where you are has A LOT to do with how fast it is.

Best of all, you can use it ANYWHERE… almost. In a car… in a boat… in a tree… with a goat… in a hotel… in Wal-Mart…

It’s pure <3
Yes, less than three ALL THE WAY.

-jon
<3’ing Sprint PCS user for… 'bout 3 months.

Hyatt (“Canadian Party Centre” in Houston (note the Canadian spelling)), has Ethernet jacks in the rooms, which probobly means free access to the internet. We’ll find a connection, cuz we’ll need to dump gigs of raw video footage evernight onto our team captin’s computer at home.

*Originally posted by jon *
**Actually… Sprint PCS Vision is $10 a month for unlimited Internet access, in addition to the normal mobile phone charges. I’m using it right now… at home, connected to my computer. It’s usually faster than my 56k. It’s “3G” so theoretically, under ideal/perfect conditions it can reach up to 144KB/s. Key word “ideal”… it’s usually more around 20KB/s for me around here, but it SEEMS a lot faster. Could be because this computer is a lot faster than the one hooked up to the copper wires too. :stuck_out_tongue: Where you are has A LOT to do with how fast it is.

Best of all, you can use it ANYWHERE… almost. In a car… in a boat… in a tree… with a goat… in a hotel… in Wal-Mart…

It’s pure <3
Yes, less than three ALL THE WAY.

-jon
<3’ing Sprint PCS user for… 'bout 3 months. **

Technically it comes as "Unlimited PCS Vision (the PCS equivalent of internet, essentially phone based internet, but carries over to laptop through the proper cable). It is theoretically 3G, but it’s actually more like 2.5G, and while I have downloaded at around 12kb/sec, it’s not quite as fast as they claim it could be. Either way, it’s definitely faster than 56k, and I’ve even posted a few messages to CD through my laptop at a Borders book store/cafe a few times. Either way, my cell plan is 500 anytime minutes, unlimited weekends/nights, and unlimited PCS Vision (internet) for $55 a month. Not too bad for what I get… Occasionally I’ll use my webcam in my car :cool:

Before everyone starts getting their hopes up…

I travel on business all the time. In my experience, most hotels have an ethernet jack AND for $9.95 per day they will give you high speed access.

That said, there may be hotels that offer free internet service, but you should call the hotel to check. If they list “internet available in all rooms” then they are probably charging for access. If they list “free internet access” then I belive it will be free.

Check with your hotel to be sure.

Moral: Nothing in life is free… someone is paying for it.

The best way to get internet while at Huston is a cell phone, if you are going to hook it up to a laptop, but not if you want to use the mobile browser. If you want to be able to e-mail, instant message, and surf the web, I recomend getting a Palm VII, VIIx, or i705. Those versions of the Palm have a built in wireless modem capable of surfing, e-mail, and AIM, and you don’t have to deal with the limitations of a cell phone key pad. I know it seems a little extreme to buy a Palm Pilot for just Champs, but you can use it to keep the phone numbers, e-mail addresses, and other info of people you meet, and you can e-mail and IM friends on your team that couldn’t go to Huston. That’s just my suggestion to the internet delema, that you can use after Huston, and it is pretty cheep. If you buy a VII you will pay around $80 for the actual device and $10 for wireless internet. Just my suggestion, and I know it’s well worth it, I have a VII, use it often, and have used it to surf Delphi, and check my hotmail account.
Mr. Ivey

if your flying through dallas to houston like 461…

stop by the end of terminal C over by terminal A… and there is a microsoft kiosk…free internet for all!!!
Thats where i am now…peace!~
hehe wee… see everyone in houston.

I passed by it and didn’t give a second thought to it! AHAHAHAHAH!!!

Ooooh internet in hotel, yay

If you’re staying at the Comfort Suites there’s a t1 line in all the rooms. However, they tell you to set your computer to obtain an ip automatically, where there dchp server isn’t working nicely so you need to get some static ip’s of another computer.

See you all tommorrow…

Jack