Starting this summer, the Milwaukee Robotics Academy will be launching in the north side of Milwaukee! The Academy will be based around a converted church in Milwaukee’s Riverwest neighborhood that will host a full sized FRC field, a fully equipped machine shop and space for multiple FRC teams to work. Using this facility, we will run free summer robotics workshops for Milwaukee high school students and work to start new FRC teams at the facility.
What we will do:
- Host summer robotics workshops using FRC style robots at no cost to participants with the goal of introducing high school students to robotics.
- Support existing FRC teams by providing a full sized practice field and fully equipped machine shop whenever they need it.
- Start new FRC teams at area high schools, using the Academy facility to eliminate the need for teams to invest in expensive machining equipment and assisting teams with early fundraising efforts.
- Provide paid lead mentors to rookie teams started by the Academy, ensuring that these teams have strong technical leadership and reducing the burden on already overworked teachers.
- Provide college aged alumni with paid mentoring opportunities running summer workshops and mentoring Academy supported teams.
How you help:
- Summer workshops for 2021 are starting July 6th! If you’re interested in participating, please sign up here: https://milwaukeeroboticsacademy.org/programs.html
- We are looking for volunteers to help run our summer robotics workshops, to help run our Academy facility and to provide mentoring to our teams! If you’re interested in volunteering with the Academy, please click here.
- We are currently in the process of purchasing for our facility including tools, storage, an FRC field and more. If you know of any companies or organizations that could help with any of this, please send me a message!
- A significant challenge of working in an urban environment is that most students don’t have access to reliable transportation. To help with this, the Academy is exploring the option of purchasing a van or bus to transport students between their high schools and the Academy. If you know of any businesses or organizations that could help with this, please send me a message!
For more information about the Milwaukee Robotics Academy, please visit our website at https://milwaukeeroboticsacademy.org/. There’s a lot more to come in the next couple of months but we’re excited to grow FIRST and STEM education in the City of Milwaukee!