Inventor in place components

I recently found out about in place components in inventor. I’ve made an iLogic script thing for tubing before, but I just realized that you can create sketches on parts in the assembly and use their geometry to drive the features for the new part. It seems very similar to part studios in Onshape. Are there any problems with the in place components? I didn’t see anyone else using these, so I thought that there might be an issue.

There is nothing wrong with using that. Only some people who are super adventurous figure out the existence of these features and use them to make cadding experience better. Most inventor users I know dont even know to use iLogic. You can definitely use them, there is no reason not to. In fact I used them for quite a few stuff this season. It seemed to take out the monotony out of doing gussets.

2 Likes

Are you referring to adaptive features/geometry? If so, most people designing robots are making heavy use of these features.

As for problems, yes there are some, mainly that if you (significantly) edit the geometry that the adaptive (“in place” as you called them) components are based off of, you will get errors that are hard to resolve.

These errors are all fixable, but it takes a large amount of Inventor skill and knowledge to do so, so it’s best to avoid the errors in the first place.

There are a few best practices to avoid errors:
*Minimize the number of adaptive components in the assembly.
*NEVER use projected geometry as part geometry (i.e. as part of a profile used in an extrusion). Always project the geometry as construction geometry and build new geometry constrained on top of the construction geometry.
*Try to avoid referencing an adaptive component to another component that is itself adaptive.
*Turn “Adaptivity” off (by right clicking on the part in the browser) as soon as the part is complete. You’ll have to add assembly constraints after you do this.

1 Like