Inventory List Example

Hey!
I am Ron, from Team KOI #6230
Our team wants to get the shop equipped with most of the things we should have.
For that, we would like to see another team’s inventory list. If you have one, it would help us a lot! Pictures of your working shop can help us too!
Thanks

I doubt another team’s inventory list will do you much good, unless you plan to build robots the same way they build them. Most teams use different stuff to build their robots, and design their robots differently. I know that most of the parts on other robots I see at competitions won’t work with the stuff we design.

But aside from that, we don’t have a list, we just have a bunch of stuff.

1 Like

These are all generated by American teams, so a fair number of things may not translate directly to a team in Israel (especially on tools). But it should be a good starting point for your own research and conversations on how you prefer to build robots.

11 Likes

What kind of inventory are you looking for? Various tools for the shop (larger floor models or like hand tools), hardware/fasteners, COTS items to stock up on for the coming season? Do you have a budget in mind?

There are several threads from the past that are probably worth a read.

The tools you cant get through frc build season without

Essential inventory for rookie teams

Ideal frc shop set up

Recommended inventory for new frc team

This is what a very quick search yielded while I’m at work. I’m sure there are some others on here that can point to some even more relevant threads.

3 Likes

I do agree with you but seeing other team’s inventory always can be helpful to remind yourself of stuff you should have, thanks

1 Like

It will probably help to know what you already have if you want suggestions of what you should get

1 Like

Thank you very much!
It will surely help us.

Seconding @Billfred, Sprectrum’s materials provide a good idea of what a team needs to at least be prepared for the season compared to other resources I have seen. If you can’t find the exact item at your location, it doesn’t matter all too much, any equivalent item would work.

1 Like

@Ron189 - are you looking for inventory of tools or FRC components? Most of our component inventory comes from purchasing what we want for prototypes and keeping extra from year to year…finishing up our 6th year we have quite an inventory. Each year, we’ve tried to budget for a couple of big purchases each year to upgrade the shop and are now at a point where I’m not really looking to add new tools per se. Below are some of our bigger purchases over the years

• First, this isn’t a “big purchase”, but I also really love our Rockwall bladeRunner. In fact at <$100 I’d probably put it in my own version of a “FIRST $1000”)
  • Manual knee mill w/ DRO
  • CNC Router (we got a 4x4 from CNCRouterParts but there’s good threads about the omio too)
  • drill press. We got a bigger one before we had the mill, but now that we have the mill I’d probably be happier with a smaller benchtop one
  • horizontal bandsaw. IMO - if you have the $ it’s worth it to get a nice one that can give you straight cuts. We started with one that convert between horizontal and vertical, and I did not like it. If I didn’t have budget, I’d rather get one that focuses on just being a good horizontal bandsaw
  • an arbor press that allows you to use a 12" long hex broach
  • I’ve also been very happy with our track saw. It’s a little pricey, but we got the festool track saw with a 55" track for cuts along a standard 4x8 width and a 105" track for cuts along the length. I find it to be safer to set up and use than our tablesaw when possible.
  • Prusa 3D printer
  • lathe w/ DRO - for most FRC teams this probably should be a later purchase than when we bought it. a grizzly metalworking 7x12 lathe is probably sufficient for most teams
  • Big screen TV on a cart. As silly as this sounds - we use it a ton for our team meetings, especially since we have 50-60 people at meetings on the weekends. TV doesn’t need to be fancy - just big. We were able to get the TV cart as part of our renovations
  • Also in our renovations, we were able to get the school to provide us folding chairs on a mobile rack. I have no idea what they actually got, but it’s along these lines: https://www.tigermedical.com/Products/Two-Tier-Folding-Chair-Cart__ADI690-03.aspx?invsrc=adwords_tm&gclid=Cj0KCQjwncT1BRDhARIsAOQF9LndcDWSGknm3IToAtnQUwIObjSDy1wnF4mey9IWjliM-8ifz4R0H1oaAkZZEALw_wcB

Keep in mind, most of the big shop tools have additional smaller costs associated with them; potentially things like installing 220V power, purchasing bits, a vice, parallel bars, motors…whatever.

Some of these pictures are a little old, but definitely give a sense for the workspace we’re very fortunate to have: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Rq8QGQ52wL4xxKXbA

The next shop improvements I’d want to do wouldn’t be adding new tools - it’d be one of these:

4 Likes

1293 had two 4’x8’ tables made similarly in their old workspace–except a majority of the surfaces were piled with crap used for storage. When we moved out of the old portable, it still took a lot of campaigning to only take one of them (and I could argue it’s still about 1/3 too big, but that’s another topic).

Instead, we built our rolling pit table for a smaller but focused work surface and for storage designed around our existing containers (a combination of Stanley hardware organizers and KoP totes). The ability to fold down the hutch and roll it pretty much straight onto the trailer has saved us many hours of labor and made us more efficient in the pits too. We were so happy with the bang for the buck that we have a sister cart in progress for batteries.

We supplement it with a couple folding tables, one explicitly for messy activities and one we restrict to laptops and such so it looks nice for demos. That lets us expand into the hallway and into the courtyard outside when desired.

FIrstly, thanks for your response! It is very helpful.

do you think that a manual arbor press is good enough for that?

1293’s is manual and broaches fine. There was a manual press in the assembly shop at AndyMark while I worked there that was used for broaching development parts or custom parts for local teams (basically, not regular production)

The main thing is making sure you have enough vertical space to fit both the hex broach and the object you’re broaching. A press of suitable size is also going to have the leverage you need for someone to be able to broach your part.

2 Likes

@AriMB We basically have the most basic of everything… basic manual and electrical tools… no fancy ones like CNC router or knee mill. We wanted to see what other teams have so we can take a look and see if there is something would suit for our needs and our budget

Thank you a lot! Aprriciated.

That’s the other big question here: how much money do you have to spend on new tools. The recommendations will be very different if you have $500 vs $20000

1 Like

Who else thought this post was gonna be about python?

2 Likes

The problem is that we don’t really know because of the corona virus.

Our school helps us each year with the competition cost(the school pays part of the registration and buses etc)

We are not sure yet if he will be able to do that also this year(We hope to know asap).
Also our sponsors may not be able to support us this year as well… So we don’t really know what is gonna be… Like many teams now I believe.

the safe budget to spend now is around 10K$.

I agree with Billfred. Our’s is a manual press and is perfectly fine. I opted to get one with a 17" throat which meant it ended up being a few hundred dollars (one similar to this: https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/55915797). I believe @AllenGregoryIV has used one that cost them more like $200 with 12-5/8" throat with a hole drilled into the ram or something for a little bit of extra height.

Secondly - @Billfred, I’m definitely intrigued with your workbench. I’m relatively happy with our pit set up right now with T-staks (though still have dreams of a super pit some day), but this would still be nice for our build area. Would you say your onshape design is fairly accurate/as-built? Anything y’all noticed you’d do different on your 2nd one?

EDIT to add: Those tables are 4x4 and 4x8 - which was great our rookie year before we had much of a field set up because we would work around them on all sides rather than having them pushed up against a desk. Then, we built an airship in 201, and it was originally split into 2 different trapezoid table, but have recently been pushed together again…in a weird way. With our current set up…it’s definitely time for them to go.

1 Like

It’s the one listed in our first $10,000 document - https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/00231290?rItem=00231290

If you can wait for MSC coupons you can get a good discount on occasion I think we got 20% off when we ordered.

1 Like

Do you have an arbor press that is good for the 12inch long broach?
EDIT I didn’t scroll down.