IR Board Wording Question

I’ve been reading the paper at the first site that came with the board, and the part of the paper that explains the learning part has a confusing line. I want to know what I’m doing before I blow the thing up…

Anyway, the line says:

“Before training the chip,pick the remote you intend to use. When using a universal remote, set it to the manufacturer that you want to use.”

So, what am I setting and how am I doing it? Thanks in advance for any and all help.

There are the “normal” remotes that come with TVs, VCRs, and DVD players. Then there are “universal” remotes that you can buy and use to replace the original remotes. These need to be programmed with the correct code to work with the equipment you have.

If you try to use a new universal remote that is not programmed, it won’t put any signal out (or something weird will happen), so first you need to program it to pretend it’s being used with (for example) an RCA TV, or whatever else strikes your fancy. The instructions that came with the universal remote will have code numbers and procedure, or find them online.

Thank you!!! The one I’m trying first was stolen from our home TV, so its outputing. From what you said it sounds like it just needs to transmit anything so it can be picked up.

yes that is correct