Is a bearing a "minor protusion"?

Before I ask Q&A…
The Kit of parts chassis has a bearing flange outside of the flat face of the frame on each side. If it’s not considered a minor protrusion per R2, then it must be covered with a legal bumper since it would be considered a side of the perimeter. What do you think - does the bumper need to cover the entire side of the robot or can the bearing be left uncovered?

As an inspector I’ve always ruled this as a minor protrusion.

I would consider this a minor protrusion. The bearing flange has a much lower profile than a bolt head sticking out.

I would also pass that for inspection.

I know what they say about assuming but I would assume that the KoP drive train that they give teams to make with instructions would be legal to easily pass inspection.

I’ve noticed inspectors have been a little more relaxed with robot size rules since using perimeter. When we had “the box”, bolt heads counted as part of the robot. Not because that’s how the rules were, but because the box incorrectly enforced the rules. Bolt heads on the other side of your robot (the side facing the lexan) counted against your width (and I got into an argument about it in 2012 with the LRI).

The rules were different back then.

2012:

R2. The Robot must satisfy the following size constraints:
A. horizontal dimensions must not exceed 28 by 38 in.,
B. the absolute height must not exceed 84 in.,
C. the height of the Robot at the start of the match must not exceed 60 in.,
D. any appendage may not extend more than 14 in. beyond the frame perimeter, and
E. no other part of the Robot may extend beyond the vertical projection of the Frame Perimeter (with the exception
of minor protrusions permitted per [R01-2]).

2014:

R3. The ROBOT must satisfy the following size constraints:

the total length of the FRAME PERIMETER sides may not exceed 112 in. (see Figure 4-1 for examples),
a ROBOT may not extend more than 20 in. beyond the FRAME PERIMETER (see Figure 4-2 for examples) (see G24), and
the ROBOT height may not exceed 60 in., except as allowed by G23.
Any extension above 60 in. may not exceed a 6 in. diameter vertical cylinder (see Figure 4-3 and Figure 4-4 for examples), per G23.

R4. In the STARTING CONFIGURATION, the ROBOT must constrain itself such that no part of the ROBOT extends outside the vertical projection of the FRAME PERIMETER, with the exception of minor protrusions such as bolt heads, fastener ends, rivets, etc.

The size requirements were decoupled from the frame perimeter prior to 2013 - the frame perimeter defined the area your robot had to start the match, but the entire robot was confined to specific size requirements, including bolt heads.

Now, there is no size requirement on the robot - the size requirement is on the frame perimeter. That’s the distinction that allows bolt heads to stick out even if your frame perimeter is at exactly 112".

And trust me… No one was happier than the inspectors when we got rid of the sizing box!