Is anyone else NOT going to Nationals

I’m upset cuz my team lacks the necessary funds to go to nationals. Is there other teams who share this same problem, or have different reasons for not going. Plus, if any team has helpful advice for raising money ( i know almost every team asks this ) my team could use it so this doesn’t happen again

how much do you guys need?

i don’t handle the money, but i think we currently have around $5,000, but we also need money for transportation, food, hotel, plus we need save up for next year since we can’t get a grant in the 3rd year

we arent going cause we didnt win a regional we came close tho 3rd at ucf its really sad

I just didnt get picked…although, i was there almost everynight putting in 5+ hours of work, how does that work? and i know for a fact kids who did squat are going…and plus im a senior, so thanks NHS for ruining my dreams…

(im disgruntled)
Bad

This is the first of our 4 years that nobody from our team will be going to Nats. We have no money, no sponsor, & a big question for even participating next year. Our team has made it to the elims at Nats every year, we won’t even get the chance to play for the national title this year.

BTW BadJokeGuy - It may have to do with your attitude that you are not going. If you are willing to post comments here, putting your team down. I can’t imagne what you would be willing to say around just your own team.

My team, Team 6, isn’t going either! This is my first year in robotics and no nationals for me! GRRRR. We went to the central Florida Regional at UCF though and got 3rd.

we have the chance to go, but we lack the funds needed ( about $7000) so we cant go :frowning: it kinda sucks.

Yeah, we’re poor too and can’t go; though we do qualify from last year.

Btw, does winning the Chairman’s award come with some form of $$ to help get your team to the Championships?

691 is in the same boat as your team Alex, 3rd year team so it’s tough to get money. Although I’m not officially on the team anymore, I’ve been told that we decided to forgo nationals this year because going to two regionals would allow more people to travel and make the most out of the FIRST experience. I think it was the same as last year, we qualified through points but chose not go unless we won a regional and then fundraised all the money to pay for our expenses. I think it was hard for some people to accept but it shows the lesson of hardwork. As for fundraising ideas, there’s a ton of great ones in the fundraising forum but if anyone wants more or specifics, feel free to get a hold of me.

the difference with my team was we only had enough for 1 regional and now with no grant we need to start saving for next year. But i just found out my team has an interview with this guy who could give our team like 15,000 dollars which would be awesome, but not in time for nationals:(. Back to selling food at ITT and car washes

yes Ryan, but we could still make it… hopefully

*Originally posted by rees2001 *
**This is the first of our 4 years that nobody from our team will be going to Nats. We have no money, no sponsor, & a big question for even participating next year. Our team has made it to the elims at Nats every year, we won’t even get the chance to play for the national title this year.

BTW BadJokeGuy - It may have to do with your attitude that you are not going. If you are willing to post comments here, putting your team down. I can’t imagne what you would be willing to say around just your own team. **

Noo, thats not what i was trying to say…

all im saying is i have a great attitude towards first. but when i put in more time than most people, i get shafted? how would you feel? i did my share of the work, enough to get me a spot, and i get told i cannont go because “I wasnt activley participating???”
I really like our school and sponser, i just dont like it when i get turned upon…

Bad

I do not mean to be rude, or to get your sympathy/ pity

but keep in mind,
some teams (like mine) have NEVER gone to championships, or even more than 1 regional

and some teams (again, like mine) dont have enough money to compete at all (hopefully for use 3rd time will be the charm in 2004, as we failed to get money for 2002/ 2003)

just wanted to point that out

I’m not going. I’ve missed too much school aready this year. That’s as big a deal for a teacher as a student. Maybe bigger. And I have to miss a couple of days the week after Nationals so I figured I’d better stay home. But I’m going to miss it.