Is Preventing the other team in getting their switch worth it?

My team is planning on constructing a robot revolved around preventing them from getting the points from switch? Can I have any other opinions on this?

It prevents them from getting 1pt/s. Taking ownership of the scale not only prevents the 1pt/s but also give you 1pt/s (that’s a 2pt/s difference).

That said, if there is a massive battle for the scale and you can disable their switch easily, go for it. It’s going to be a real-time strategic decision though.

Just my two cents, but I don’t think that seems like a great idea. Once teams start getting wind of your strategy, the opposing alliance can easily fill their switch with 3 cubes in the early game. You then have to run 3 cubes onto their switch to just bring it to even, and they could still have another robot that matches the cubes you put, so that they can always keep the switch on their side. If your robot can’t contribute to the fight over the scale, you put your team at an inherent disadvantage.

It could work if you try to use up your opponent’s cubes on their side and force them to start using the portal, or at least waste a large amount of cubes into maintaining their swtich instead of going for the scale/vault runs, but that’s still kinda iffy.

You don’t receive points if you take the opposing alliance’s switch. It is also, they way the boxes are on the field and field view from driver stations, much easier for the opposing alliance to gain control of their switch than for you to gain control of their switch.

I wouldn’t think this strategy is worth it, perhaps defending the center scale is better.

At any low-to-medium level regional/district tournament, it is a fantastic strategy:
Sure, you can’t gain points from both switches at the same time, but preventing them from getting points is basically the same thing as gaining points for yourself (cough DPR cough). An alliance with 3 capable switch scorers and some kind of solid endgame will be a force to contend with at any low-level event.

Yes, it is possible for an opposing alliance to load up their switch to prevent you from doing this, but you’re still putting the opposing alliance on the back foot, trying to keep themselves from losing instead of putting themselves in a position to actually win. At best the counterplay to your strategy will turn the match into a stalemate, which leaves you with the endgame to decide the match.

I’d like to emphasize that my comments only apply to lower-level events, where scale scorers will range between terrible and nonexistent.

If you’re grabbing from the portal, it’s going to be hard for them to keep up with you unless they have a floor pickup. And dedicating a floor pickup to protecting your switch from a portal hauler is going to sting a bit.

Also, it’s worth pointing out that a good portal hauler or ground pickup that can only score switches is MUCH better than a poor to non-functional scale scorer. If you’re not confident that you can meet the technical challenge of scoring on the scale, a strategy of grabbing cubes from the portal to deactivate the opponent’s switch or haul them to your side for your switch or the exchange is a perfectly valid strategy to pursue.

Preventing the other team in getting their switch IS equivalent to not being able to do the scale.

This could lead to a simple but effective robot as long as you don’t forget that you also have a switch :slight_smile:

Your portal is right next to your opponent’s switch, make sure you don’t have that backwards

I’ve spent most of the day reading rules and haven’t really quantitatively analyzed anything yet, but it does seem like this game is less about scoring and more about making the other team not score. So it could definitely be viable.

When considering strategy, you really need to consider the contexts around it. If this is your pure strategy, and there is absolutely nothing else, then your best case scenario is a tie, and that requires you gain control before they can, and maintain it during the whole match.
Now, as for a robot build for that strategy, it is not a complete bust. That robot, if capable of scoring in your opponent’s switch, should be able to score in your own switch. That is more viable, as long as you can counter there switch fast than they can yours.
However, there is a lot of variation in what your alliance partners can do. Take some time to consider what their strategies might be, as this can effect your game play. Is it the winning strategy? If the answer is no, and you are capable of effectively executing something closer to it, then your strategy is not worth it, otherwise, you should definitely continue onward with it. We can advise you, but ultimately that is a decision based on the team.

Not exactly. Your plays on the switches can be easily countered at any given moment, before or after you have scored. If the opposing alliance is incapable of scoring on the scale themselves, then scale scoring can only be countered proactively through defense. Considering that the bulk of the points scored in a match will usually come from switches/scale scoring (assuming average or better level of play), this is vital.

That’s the key aspect of this game that makes it very unique compared to any game they have made in years- there is always a decision to be made, and the decision making of the drive team is vital. In years past, the most complicated choice was usually “do i go for another cycle or do i begin endgame,” and this was a choice performed once per match. This year, you have numerous options (much like a certain steam-themed game) and all of them are viable at any given moment (unlike a certain steam-themed game).

It’s not.

Your switch: 0 or 1 pt / second
Opponent switch: 0 or -1 pt / second
Scale: -1 or 0 or 1 pt / second

I personally think that it has a lot to do with how you are going to be preventing scoring. If you make a blocker I don’t think it’d be a good idea simply because this game is going to need a lot of complex autonomous codes that can easily bypass your strategy, and like a previous posted mentioned, the opposing alliance can easily score during autonomous and make your strategy useless.

That being said, I think it would be best to have a versatile robot capable of doing more than being used for one purpose and strategy

Like others have said, if you’re unable to do the scale and your opponents can do it, the most you can hope for in terms of ownership is a tie. Even you maintain ownership of both switches for the whole match, all your opponents have to do is drop one cube in the scale to tie. In any match where this switch-exclusive alliance is against an alliance that can do the scale to any degree, they will probably lose since the scale alliance has more free time for vault points.

But, I think any playoff strategy based on ownership will need individual robots focused solely on the switch. That means if you’re good enough to catch scouts’ eyes, you’ll almost certainly be picked even if you can’t do the scale.

I think everyone is forgetting that every time your opponent regains control of their switch, they earn an extra point in addition to the 1pps (point per second) So if you can’t KEEP them from regaining their switch, if you can only keep up a steady back and forth, you might be letting them get a lot more points than you think. (Although, it will probably take longer than a second for them to regain ownership) Just something you should keep in mind.

Of course, if you have control of your switch, you’re not gaining MORE points by filling it over full. If you’re nor defending yours, can’t fill the scale, your vault is full, then I certainly see that as the best thing to do

Two questions.

1. Have you checked the legality and literally thrown this idea through as many situations as you can think of?
  2. Do you have a backup strategy if you come to competition and realize that it isn’t working as well as you thought?

If there are 1 or more scale placing robots on the field, and they are using the center 12 cubes, and spending much time in the null areas, anticipate they will, then that field is cut off, if you wish to avoid the associated penalties that come with contacting them. GETTING YOUR ROBOTS INTO the proper zone will be a first move after auto ends to carry out your planned offensive/defensive strategy. IF you choose to defend on 1 opposing alliance switch, then you may also without waiting in que onfield wasting a lot of time, be denied repeatedly playing offensive bot on your own switch also.

There are 2 huge choke points, the 2 Null Zones, and the center cube delivery off field portals.

BEST Play will be accomplished playing zone. 1 down at your portals, defending against opposition scoring, 1 at your end playing steal and deliver and offensive switch ownership and filling the vault, to 2 doing same thing on either end, depending on whether or not your alliance has a capable consistant scale scorer or defender or not.

But, every match practice through alliance picks will be different, and call for multiple strategies as usual. THIS year I predict high zone play. AND those that employ zone strategy will score well. THOSE THAT DO NOT, will incur many penalties leading to much heartbreak.

PLAYOFFS will me much different as 3 better suited to work in the zones robots should be paired up intentionally at that point. WHEN others enter your zone, or are cut off from completing the assigned or chosen tasks, then bot to bot defense will be the first choice. LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

I will personally wait to see that rare match when 6 scale capable robots all hit the field at the same time. WHO WILL CAPITULATE TO WHOM.

I agree. Remember, too, if you are forcing your opponent to defend their Switch, it will take away from their ability to use their easily available cubes in their Power Zone for their Vault.

A question I have that will affect this defensive strategy: has anyone seen that the Portals are protected? I’ve seen that the Exchange areas have a 5 second blocking limit but I haven’t seen anything that says a robot can’t sit and block their opponent’s Portal. It would be harder to nullify an opponent’s Switch if a robot can’t get to its Portal.