Is there any efficient and not very expensive way to install and uninstall the bumper?

Is there any efficient and not very expensive way to install and uninstall the bumper?

We are using screws, but it takes too much time and effort to change bumper. Sometimes two games are very close, it’s so hurrying to change bumper.

Thank you!

5 Likes

There are a lot of ways, but most require building the mounting brackets a specific way. We use brackets on top of the kit frame, and “fanged elevator bolts” sticking through the bumpers, from the inside, then just put nuts on to hold the bumpers to the brackets.

doing this to your robot would take some work, including finding or making parts that will let you anchor a bolt to the plywood, inside the bumper. It also might not work if your bumpers wrap around the corners of the robot.

Thank you so much for your info!

Another concern, if we still have to use screws, I’m wondering if the bumper strong enough that we just screw the brackets of the bumper on top of the chassis frame? If it is ok, we may be able to use the quick release pin, because the short release pin is not so expensive and easy to buy.

Thanks!

Also check out this thread for other ideas.

1 Like

Thank you!

These pins are good for use with VersaChassis robots.

These pins are good with the AM14U3 chassis, and based on descriptions on AndyMark’s website, should be good with the AM14U4 also.

We use pins like what has already been suggested, but we made them our self out of modified long 1/4 - 20 bolts and just keep the red bumpers on for almost the entire event and keep the blue fabric on with velcro brand hook and loop tape :wink: when we need to.

1 Like

Pins work great and are probably the best way to quickly swap bumper sets.

If you want a quicker way to use bolts, I’d suggest wingnuts. We do reverseable bumpers and only have to take them off once for the event, which is also really convenient.

857 uses reversible bumpers that switch from left to right vs to to bottom

For Kettering #2, we started out by using 1/4" wire retainer hitch pins. When we would take a hit on the field, the retainer would bend out of the way and allow the bumpers to slide up more than I would like. After a few matches we added a shaft collar below the wire retainer for the remainder of the competition out of necessity.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H0WRF4O/?coliid=I10ASN45BBETPN&colid=B4S9DNPJ1H6Q&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

At Livonia we will be using hitch pins with cotter pin holes.

Both of these are not near as fast as the Mcmaster sliding latches, but require far less precision during initial drilling of the chassis and bumper holes.

Our team’s coach hand makes our bumpers so that they are reversible and dont need to be taken off to change colors. If you’re interested, i could ask him for a more in detail explanation of what he does.

1 Like

2877 has used side-to-side reversible bumpers for the last 4 years. Never had a problem with them.

1 Like

Thank you all guys so so much!

I’ve learned so much from all your replys!

1 Like

Ours are reversible as well… but we still use pins to ensure they can be put on and removed quickly and easily. Even with reversible bumpers, it seems we find a reason to take ours off multiple times each event. When 1 student can put all of the bumpers on securely in under a minute, you know you’re in good shape!

Yeah, we use rivet nuts and bolts to hold them on so they can be easily and quickly unscrewed with a power tool. We really only take ours off if we need to work on the robot at theyre in the way.

They’re awesome

We use a bracket system we developed for Steamworks because the team members were getting their hands chewed up trying to put in and out the thumb screws we were using to mount bumpers through the frame. The system uses ABS sockets that we mill out using a table saw, cut down 5" angle iron brackets, and 1/4" hitch pins. The bumpers are C-shaped, with two smaller brackets on the inside of the C and one pin bracket on each leg of the C. The plastic sockets are installed on the top of the frame so that the side brackets slide straight into the C-shaped side sockets and the two pin brackets slide sideways into the L-shaped sockets, which have matching holes for the hitch pins. The result is a system that we can install and remove in 10-20 seconds without tools, but is extremely solid when the pins are in.
Here are pictures of the system as it was installed on our Steamworks bot:

2 Likes

We use flip Velcro bumpers so you don’t even have to take them off

3 Likes

We use wing nuts on screws on our brackets to hold together our bumpers. Makes removal and switching quick and easy.