Is this allowed at compititions?

Hello! I am trying to design a mini safety kit to hand out to teams at competitions next season. Would it be ok for me to include a one dose packet of ibuprofen? Thanks!

To my knowledge, there is no FIRST rule about this. However, I would consult with someone more familiar on distributing medicines (say, a company that resupplies businesses’ first aid kits) to ensure you’re doing all the right steps. And I’d also make sure the receiving teams know what’s inside.

And if that feels like more work than it’s worth, maybe leave it out.

5 Likes

Your heart is in the right place, but at least in my area, any kind of medication can only be administered to a student by approved adults (from the school district if the team is affiliated with a school, and this is rare) or by district employees themselves. Or their parents, of course.

You may run into issues on that front. I realize you’re not actively having them use it upon giving it to them, but that is a gray area that I think is best left alone.

7 Likes

Thanks. Our safety team was on the fence on it since there is no specific rules about it in the handbook. We are probably going to leave it out. Thanks again!

2 Likes

PM me. 4607 has been handing these out at competitions for some time (sans medication). Also, see our website for more information on Safety.

1 Like

Why subject yourself to that liability if someone has an adverse reaction to it? In today’s litigious society, this is not a good idea.

6 Likes

Best answer is to contact FIRST directly on this. This is the only source you can receive an official answer from.

5 Likes

More than liability, I would be worried risking someone’s life. Allergies to food and medication is serious stuff, you need to be careful. At competitions if anyone needs medication, they can contact the pit admin (I am not sure if they have) or the medical personnel. FIRST has made great strides in stationing medical staff at every competition (at least the ones I have attended) for past few years.

4 Likes

Similar topic, please don’t hand out food (especially foods that a lot of people are allergic to) to other teams in a goodie bag, it’s a nice gesture but the kids allergic to peanuts probably don’t appreciate it when you hand them a peanut butter bar.

9 Likes

I’m no legal expert so I cannot speak on the law, however, every first aid/emergency kit our team has, I have, and I have ever seen includes some sort of Tylenol/NSAID

https://www.google.com/search?q=tylenol+samples+in+bulk&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiOitaVheLjAhUBEqwKHfAxDzgQ_AUIESgB&biw=1252&bih=698#spd=14774989769100681049

I would think using something like this, where they are being distributed in original packaging would be ok, although maybe it would be better to have them in your pit, and then a note saying that you have tylenol available.

I think generally its fine, but when it comes to the high school level there can be issues.

I don’t think it’s a FIRST issue so much as a school issue. Most high schools I know have rules regarding students carrying medicine, even over the counter ones like tylenol or advil.

3 Likes

Many schools have very very strict rules about students carrying medication at school-related events, even OTC, to the point where one of my former students was almost suspended for having his migraine meds with him at prom. And even though my current team is a community-based team, we still have to follow school rules on field trips, which includes “only the teacher can give kids medication”.

Separate from that, as much as I like to hope and believe that everyone at FIRST events has good intentions, I’d have to be in “take me to the hospital immediately” type pain before I would even remotely consider taking pills given to me by a stranger, and there’s no way I would ever let my students do so. Consider that if you truly want to make a positive impact on other teams’ safety, rather than just get brownie points for safety theater, you should not encourage them to take pills from strangers.

For me at least, this would be more of an “oh great, one more thing to deal with/throw away” than “oh awesome, how thoughtful!”

3 Likes

Assuming the meds are in the factory sealed and labeled packaging, the risks are fairly low. But if it end up in the hands off the very young or to a team that has strong policies against youth handling drugs unsupervised it could be counterproductive to your safety mission. From a safety perspective it better to let individuals be responsible for obtaining their own drugs anyway. From a lay person first aide perspective, it is generally recommended not provide pain drugs to the victim especially if they are in need more advanced treatment. (Not a simple subject that can be fully answered in this context). A better choice might be nitrile exam gloves. Useful when treating a human victim or a greasy gear box.

3 Likes

I think it is a little ify to be handing out pills to people

2 Likes

In most jurisdictions, dispensing drugs to people under 18 is not allowed without written permission from their parents or guardian.

FYI: I am a parent and an engineer by profession and law is not my forte. Having medication in a team’s first aid kit is different than handing out to others. All I can say is if in doubt contact FIRST. About handing out candies/food, there was a rule either for FRC or FLL competitions (sorry no FTC experience) that prohibited distributing in the pit.

I honestly think this may be worse than the original situation. In the original post, the question is about distributing one package in each first aid kit. In your scenario, the individuals would be coming to a location and requesting for individuals (likely students) to make a judgment and then distribute medication to them. That sounds like a whole lot of additional hurdles to me. According to this whitepaper, regardless of the legal implications, the responsible way to distribute medication of any kind us through an RN or their designee.

1 Like