is this legal?

Posted by bill whitley at 2/16/2001 7:38 PM EST

Student on team #70, Auto City Bandits, from Powers Catholic High School and Kettering University.

Is this legal? It will split from the distrobution panel to 2 spikes, one for a solenoid and one for the light.

I made it by putting two of the 16AWG wires in the grey encased wire into a push on connector thingy.

(yea yea technical terms. but we argued over bar lock or cable tie for like a month)

Bill
Team #70

Posted by bill whitley at 2/17/2001 7:36 AM EST

Student on team #70, Auto City Bandits, from Powers Catholic High School and Kettering University.

In Reply to: is this legal?
Posted by bill whitley on 2/16/2001 7:38 PM EST:

: Is this legal? It will split from the distrobution panel to 2 spikes, one for a solenoid and one for the light.

: I made it by putting two of the 16AWG wires in the grey encased wire into a push on connector thingy.

: (yea yea technical terms. but we argued over bar lock or cable tie for like a month)

: Bill
: Team #70

Our team can’t decide if this is legal, or if we have to install another distrobution panel, solely for the spinny light (since we filled the first one). Please help!

Posted by Al Skierkiewicz at 2/19/2001 1:54 PM EST

Engineer on team #111, Wildstang, from Wheeling High & Rolling Meadows High and Motorola.

In Reply to: is this legal?
Posted by bill whitley on 2/16/2001 7:38 PM EST:

This is probably not legal. In the configuration you describe there should not be a lot of current through the connection, but the use of the crimp contact on two wires is not what it was designed for. There are jumpers available that are designed to do exactly what you are attempting with the two wires though that should be legal. It consists of two male contacts and one female contact formed from a single piece of metal. It is small and compact and works very well.
My vote is to put the other distribution panel in, though. You know you are going to add a motor or another solenoid or something before the finals in Florida. Save yourself some time, and install it now.
Al