Its really amazing to me...

Posted by Erin at 2/12/2001 12:04 PM EST

Other on team #65, Huskie Brigade, from Pontiac Northern High School and GM Powertrain.

Has anyone noticed the abundance of teams considering to use or actually using grippers this year? (Not many, the abundance was in the basket market) Lets see, how many did last year? I guess maybe the cool gripper robot design wiped off on a lot of people.

GRIPPERS RULE!!

-Erin
“I have one word…OCCRA.”

Posted by Ken Patton at 2/12/2001 12:44 PM EST

Engineer on team #65, The Huskie Brigade, from Pontiac Northern High School and GM Powertrain.

In Reply to: Its really amazing to me…
Posted by Erin on 2/12/2001 12:04 PM EST:

Hey Erin-

I think the abundance of grippage this year is due to the fact that nobody except the human players cares about the 1 pt balls…

Ken

Posted by Matt Leese at 2/12/2001 3:45 PM EST

Other on team #73, Tigerbolt, from Edison Technical HS and Alstom & Fiber Technologies & RIT.

In Reply to: izznt OCCRA five words…?
Posted by Ken Patton on 2/12/2001 12:44 PM EST:

Ok, so maybe we’re being odd but our robot is designed
to really only deal with the one point balls. Why you
ask? Well, we figured that there are four robots on
the field and they all should be doing something for
whatever time the alliance plays. And because of that,
we can score extra points by getting the black balls.
I think that those black balls will make some of the
difference in the elimination matches but maybe that’s
just me. Well, I guess we’ll just have to wait and see. :slight_smile:

Matt

Posted by Ken Leung at 2/13/2001 3:32 AM EST

Student on team #192, Gunn Robotics Team, from Henry M. Gunn Senior High School.

In Reply to: Black balls…
Posted by Matt Leese on 2/12/2001 3:45 PM EST:

I still stand by my positing that in elimination matches the black balls are going to make a difference.

I have a strong feeling that in the finals all the alliance will be so good that all of them will be able to get as many multiplier as possible, put up at least two big balls on top of the goal, and at least three robot in the end zone.

So I believe filling up the far goal with black balls fast is going to matters a lot in terms of getting the highest score. The winning alliance is going to win because they have one extra black ball in the goals.

So for the small balls I don’t think gripper will be as effective as it looks like. There need to be some sort of conveyer system as good as last year’s Wildstang’s or Chief Delphi’s to pour large amount of balls in. Those robots have a big chance of going into the finals…

That is if any team out there actually decided to build such robot. But somehow I doubt it. By the way, this is only one of the extreme believes I have of the game because I have no idea how the game is going to be.

Posted by Erin at 2/12/2001 6:36 PM EST

Other on team #65, Huskie Brigade, from Pontiac Northern High School and GM Powertrain.

In Reply to: izznt OCCRA five words…?
Posted by Ken Patton on 2/12/2001 12:44 PM EST:

I know I know … but I can’t wait to see the ones who stick out and make a design that works but isn’t like the rest (i.e.: 99, when everyone had baskets, the technokats just had an arm and still prevailed). those ones are cool.

occra, in acronym form, is one word :slight_smile:

-erin l.

Posted by Andy Baker at 2/12/2001 10:47 PM EST

Engineer on team #45, TechnoKats, from Kokomo High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

In Reply to: would FIRST be five words?
Posted by Erin on 2/12/2001 6:36 PM EST:

It was really lame. Our “strong arm” was supposed to pick up the basket and raise it. We never got it to work during a match.

We never knew that our strong arm strategy would work out… heck, kinda like Juggy that year, eh. You guys could lift a few floppies, but you realized that you didn’t need to in order to win. :slight_smile:

Oh, how the strategies change.

Build those mechanisms now, and pack 'em all in your crates. None of us know which strategy is going to be the best… so you better have a plan B.

Andy B.

Posted by Erin at 2/13/2001 6:39 AM EST

In Reply to: Thanks, Erin… but we had a basket, and…
Posted by Andy Baker on 2/12/2001 10:47 PM EST:

I knew about the basket… since I was relatively a “newbie” at that comp, when someone informed me of that i thought, “why do they need a basket? they are pretty cool now.”

-erin

p.s. i miss the boxing glove!!